Republicans Whine Instead of Try to Govern At All - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 04:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsbenz View Post
Please, the left would kill to have the equivalent of a Rush, Hannity, Beck. They can't have it so they push the fairness doctrine.
Personally I wouldn't listen to ANY of them from either side, but be honest, you know the left is jealous as hell of the success of right wing talk shows.
Not really. Every survey in radio has shown that folks on the left, and most moderates don't listen to talk radio, or those that do listen in 15/30 min slices. Everyone listened to those surveys except Soros who tried to prove it wrong and he flamed out in 80% of the markets.

Getting information from a single voice is just not a Liberal thing to do. It is why, entertaining as they are, Olbermann and Maddow will never grow tremendously in viewership. The market just doesn't exist. And if a laser sharp Democratic, gay, female, Oxford PhD in Political Science broadcaster can't draw Liberals in, it ain't gonna happen.

The Left is not jealous of right wing talk. Some markets would like the ability to get on the air but don't have the outlet due to contractual limitations, but on a national level, NPRs morning and afternoon news pretty much covers current events on that side and reading, either through internet or actual newspapers provide comprehensive information for decision making. It's why Democrats don't always agree. We don't all get our information from a single voice. That's a good thing.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRower View Post
Wow!

You have a very short memory.

Remember the "I won." comment? That took place on 24 January.

Not to mention, the Republicans are in the minority. According to McBear they can't govern because they are in the minority. After all, it is the majority's responsibility to govern. At least McBear says so.

So in terms of portraying the Republicans as snubbing Obama you may want to rethink that with an eye towards Obama telling the Republicans that he "trumps" their opinions and differences.

Sounds like the republicans are definitely doing the snubbing to me, oh absolutely.
Speak of selective memory.

Obama specifically asked the GOP to participate in the stimulus package, took some of their issues and solutions forward, including them in the bill, and then all the GOP voted against it. I call that a snub.

The response from the GOP was to declare they are coming up with their own version of a budget - which turned out to be a sinking turd and has not been heard of again. A chance to participate was lost. In the latest discussions on health care, Obama has merely made it clear he considers the last experience bad faith on the part of the GOP. We will see if the GOP does nothing but whine again on this and all other issues that come up.

And, yes, when you are in the minority and want to influence the outcome of debates, you have to make yourself and your arguments relevant. Throwing stones from outside the arena is not accomplishing that.

In the grand scheme of things I am concerned that with a totally irrelevant GOP the democratic party will turn to a complete pile of shit and the country will suffer. The system depends on an honest, open and forward moving debate on issues. What we have now is far less than that, and the GOP's lack of contribution is sadly nothing more than sour grapes, whining instead of addressing the country's needs.

Jim
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Moderately subtle

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post

Obama specifically asked the GOP to participate in the stimulus package, took some of their issues and solutions forward, including them in the bill, and then all the GOP voted against it. I call that a snub.

The response from the GOP was to declare they are coming up with their own version of a budget - which turned out to be a sinking turd and has not been heard of again. A chance to participate was lost. In the latest discussions on health care, Obama has merely made it clear he considers the last experience bad faith on the part of the GOP. We will see if the GOP does nothing but whine again on this and all other issues that come up.

And, yes, when you are in the minority and want to influence the outcome of debates, you have to make yourself and your arguments relevant. Throwing stones from outside the arena is not accomplishing that.

In the grand scheme of things I am concerned that with a totally irrelevant GOP the democratic party will turn to a complete pile of shit and the country will suffer. The system depends on an honest, open and forward moving debate on issues. What we have now is far less than that, and the GOP's lack of contribution is sadly nothing more than sour grapes, whining instead of addressing the country's needs.

Jim
Last paragraph, very well said. Alternative ideas, destinations of all of this need to be articulated in some manner other than "no." There are other paths we can take, other destinations. We just need to get the right right to speak.

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 05:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: '98 E320 Wagon (non 4matic)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TNTRower
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post

Jim
"Well I won, so I will trump you on that."

That was on 24 January. Bi partisanship died with Obama on that one.

Besides, what do you care what the Republicans do anyway? They are in the severe minority!

You want to know why you and others on the left care so much? Because there will be nobody else to blame come the next election. There is a super majority and no matter what the republicans do they can not obstruct the Democrats.

That scares the Democrats to death. Not having anyone to blame but themselves.

If you disagree please put forth a decent reason that is as plausible.

Who's John Galt.

"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes" - Virgil, The Aeneid, Book 2

If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel. --Benjamin Netayahu
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
There are Americans who place the welfare of their country above the welfare of their political party. We typically refer to such people as "sane".

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 05:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:

Context.

From Faux, so it has to be "fair and balanced".

Obama Says His View on Taxes Prevailed Because 'I Won' - First 100 Days of Presidency - Politics FOXNews.com

If bipartisanship died with that, the Republican's need to find adults to represent them. But somehow I don't believe that is the case. It is the Shrinking28 that is confused and misinterpreting remarks at a meeting in which they did not participate nor grasp the tone.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:

Besides, what do you care what the Republicans do anyway? They are in the severe minority!

You want to know why you and others on the left care so much? Because there will be nobody else to blame come the next election. There is a super majority and no matter what the republicans do they can not obstruct the Democrats.

I thought I put forth the reason earlier. It is called The United States of America.

Jim
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 09:11 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Apr 2009
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

And though there may be some foolish enough to disagree with what you wrote you have sunk that spike into solid oak with one mighty swing!

I tip my hat to you!
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 09:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
And though there may be some foolish enough to disagree with what you wrote you have sunk that spike into solid oak with one mighty swing!

I tip my hat to you!
I always thought they blamed treehuggers for spiking trees. Now we know who it is.

I would have never picked Dyno as a treehugger but, hey everyone can evolve...well, so to speak.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 09:36 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Apr 2009
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
reclaimed lumber!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in