Here we go again : Fires in Santa Barbara - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 10:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yeah, yeah, yeah...remember, I lived there, in Santa Barbara, Santa Maria and at the loverly Vandenburg AFB around SLO. I have also live in one of the finer Holiday Inns in Santa Monica when I did work for one of your little industries out there. BUT, I still don't get the WHY. Between taxes and expenses and housing costs [at least what they DID cost], fires, mudslides, fires, traffic, fires [I really hate fires] and then drought.

But then again there is the beach, sufer girls, mountains nearby, surfer girls, surfing, surfer girls, [I really like surfer girls] and Monterey.

So maybe it's a wash.

Wait, did I mention Lana.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 10:30 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: B200 T 2007 Gone, Discovery Sport 2016
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Planning a trip to Cal and hope to stay 2 or 3 days in Santa Barbara, beautiful spot with friendly people. I hope that all damage is minimal and nobody gets hurt.
Love the friendliness of the California people

Bill
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill F View Post
Planning a trip to Cal and hope to stay 2 or 3 days in Santa Barbara, beautiful spot with friendly people. I hope that all damage is minimal and nobody gets hurt.
Love the friendliness of the California people

Bill
What do you mean by "the California people" ?
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 01:13 PM
It Is What It Is, Dude

Vehicle: 1978 107.024 RIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlfun View Post
Any not actually in Arkansas.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 02:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite

So, while watching the Faux Faur Coverage at lunch today a thought came to mind as the crawler scrolled 'burned to the ground" across the screen.

Now, when Chrysler and GM were in deep trouble and our government was looking at bailing out a small group of businesses and people [a million or so] who were looking at losing pretty much everything if Chrysler and GM went down there was a very large contingent of people, from the kids at Faux to many of the folks on this board who suggested that, because they had put themselves in this predicament, by making poor decisions and by forcing folk's hands through various schemes that they should "Burn to the ground".

This thought tickled my brain. Why is there no outrage as we spend millions and millions of dollars year after year in putting out fires in the same areas when the only reason is because a small group of businesses and people made poor decisions, choosing to live in a natural fire zone and planting things like eucalyptus and palm and other unnatural plants chocked full of oils that burn like bugger-all when lit? After all, nature is doing what comes...well naturally.

I am certainly not advocating that path, I am just interested in why, suddenly government action against disaster is cheered instead of jeered.

Why the difference?

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
^^^Hey, my views on both are totally consistent so don't lump me into the FN bunch.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 02:48 PM
It Is What It Is, Dude

Vehicle: 1978 107.024 RIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Gulf Coast houses on sand, Mississippi flood plain communities, practically all of Florida....
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 03:30 PM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Should New Orleans have been rebuild at the same location?
Tornadoes in the Mid West of the U.S., and how about flooding? Particularly Florida, Louisiana, North Carolina and South Carolina.

Then there is the supposed thread from the West African Island of LaPalma breaking apart during a future eruption of its volcano.
Some suggest only ONE more eruption or earthquake can cause the landslide for a tsunami of 33-82 feet high on the Eastern coast of the US (the most populated area of the US).
Let's go on the premise (Wikipedia) that the tsunami will be 'only' 10-25 meters high. That's 33-82 feet high! Cities of Boston, Newport, R.I, New York, Long Island, Delaware, most of Maryland, Baltimore, D.C., North and South Carolina coast, Georgia, and last but not least the entire Florida will be decimated-most of Florida is 28 feet above sea level or less.

There is said to be an artist's rendition of the US after "The Big One".
The map was drawn according to the seer, Edgar Cayce (d. 1945), who envisioned the Western one-third of the USA fallen into the Pacific Ocean. (Mr. Cayce went so far as to say the Pacific Ocean will reach as far as Nebraska - and the map showed it.)

BTW, a significant percentage of Holland, called the Netherlands for a reason, is below sea level.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 10:37 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: B200 T 2007 Gone, Discovery Sport 2016
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlfun View Post

In my limited travels I have found all the residents in California to be friendly and helpful.

Bill
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 11:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
Should New Orleans have been rebuild at the same location?
Tornadoes in the Mid West of the U.S., and how about flooding? Particularly Florida, Louisiana, North Carolina and South Carolina.

Then there is the supposed thread from the West African Island of LaPalma breaking apart during a future eruption of its volcano.
Some suggest only ONE more eruption or earthquake can cause the landslide for a tsunami of 33-82 feet high on the Eastern coast of the US (the most populated area of the US).
Let's go on the premise (Wikipedia) that the tsunami will be 'only' 10-25 meters high. That's 33-82 feet high! Cities of Boston, Newport, R.I, New York, Long Island, Delaware, most of Maryland, Baltimore, D.C., North and South Carolina coast, Georgia, and last but not least the entire Florida will be decimated-most of Florida is 28 feet above sea level or less.

There is said to be an artist's rendition of the US after "The Big One".
The map was drawn according to the seer, Edgar Cayce (d. 1945), who envisioned the Western one-third of the USA fallen into the Pacific Ocean. (Mr. Cayce went so far as to say the Pacific Ocean will reach as far as Nebraska - and the map showed it.)

BTW, a significant percentage of Holland, called the Netherlands for a reason, is below sea level.
I agree with NOLA. And anyone that builds in the flood plains ANYWHERE, whether it is on the Mississippi, Red River or the Everglades. Those are major events that occur, much like the wildfires on an annual or every couple of years basis. And that is the difference between annuals and "the Big One, or a LaPalma event which may or may not happen in generations or millennia. And tornadoes, like windstorms are such isolated incidences, that they seldom hit the same place twice. So we can have one outbreak in 1974 and not have another for 35 years, not touching within miles of the previous areas.

It is also why I sold my condo in Largo. You can only temp fate so many years. It was an impulse buy, a sound sell.

McBear,
Kentucky

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in