(Thread Starter)
AIPAC wins

Why am I not surprised?
Quote:
Prosecutors to Drop Charges Against Two Former AIPAC Lobbyists

By Jerry Markon
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, May 1, 2009 10:29 AM

The U.S. government is abandoning espionage-law charges against two former lobbyists for a pro-Israel advocacy group, federal officials announced this morning.

Prosecutors said they will ask a judge to dismiss the case against Steven J. Rosen and Keith Weissman because a series of court decisions had made it unlikely they would win convictions. The two are former lobbyists for the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, or AIPAC, an influential advocacy group.

Rosen and Weissman were charged in 2005 with conspiring to obtain classified information and pass it to journalists and the Israeli government. They were the first non-government civilians charged under the 1917 espionage statute with verbally receiving and transmitting national defense information. Some lawyers and First Amendment advocates have said the case would criminalize the type of information exchange that is common among journalists, lobbyists and think-tank analysts.

Dana J. Boente, the acting U.S. Attorney in Alexandria, said this morning that prosecutors were abandoning the case because of "the diminished likelihood the government will prevail at trial under the additional intent requirements imposed by the court and the inevitable disclosure of classified information that would occur at any trial.'' Prosecutors have filed a motion to dismiss the indictment, which must be approved by a federal judge.

Baruch Weiss, a lawyer for Weissman, said that the two former lobbyists "are innocent, and it's been clear to us from outset that we would ultimately prevail.'' He said defense lawyers "were able to put together an array of experts to demonstrate to the government that the information" the men were accused of passing along was "innocuous.''

The decision is a stunning vindication for the former lobbyists, who were accused of providing information about topics that included the activities of al-Qaeda and possible attacks on U.S. forces in Iraq. Rosen, of Silver Spring, was AIPAC's director of foreign policy issues and was instrumental in making the committee a formidable political force. Weissman, of Bethesda, was a senior analyst. AIPAC fired them in 2005.

The trial had been set for June 2 in U.S. District Court in Alexandria. But recent pre-trial rulings had made the case difficult for the government. Those decisions included an appeals court ruling that allowed the defense to use classified information at trial. A lower-court judge also said prosecutors must show that the two men knew that the information they allegedly disclosed would harm the United States -- a high burden for prosecutors.

Boente cited "the additional intent requirements imposed by the court" in his statement this morning. "When this indictment was brought," he said, "the government believed it could prove this case beyond a reasonable doubt based on the statute. However, as the Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit noted, the District Court potentially imposed an additional burden on the prosecution not mandated by statute."

The AIPAC case has always been controversial, and it came to public attention again with the recent disclosure that a prominent House lawmaker, Rep. Jane Harman (D-Calif), had been recorded in 2006 on FBI wiretaps allegedly offering to use her influence on behalf of Rosen and Weissman.

Harman strongly denied the allegations and accused the government of an "abuse of power" in wiretapping her conversations. Law enforcement sources have said the review of the case was triggered by the recent court rulings and was unrelated to the revelations about Harman.

If the high-profile trial had gone forward, it was expected to feature testimony from a number of senior Bush administration officials, including former secretary of state Condoleezza Rice, former national security adviser Stephen J. Hadley, and former high-level Defense Department officials Paul D. Wolfowitz and Douglas J. Feith.

Prosecutors to Drop Charges Against Two Former AIPAC Lobbyists
Anything wrong with this picture?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 09:34 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The Arab community worldwde is going to take this as a slight and it will make Obama's job tougher........
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 09:40 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
The Arab community worldwde is going to take this as a slight and it will make Obama's job tougher........
Ahh yes. No trial needed. They are guilty cuz they are JOOOOOOOOOOOZ. Right Expat, CR, etc?
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 09:44 AM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuantle View Post
Ahh yes. No trial needed. They are guilty cuz they are JOOOOOOOOOOOZ. Right Expat, CR, etc?

Stu, get off the high horse, think about it, what if these 2 were Muslim, think they would be walking away scott free? All the Arab community has always wanted is some fairness between the way the US treats the 2 communities....
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
No trial needed for a bunch of spies because "the rules" (see highlighted in red) have changed does not bother you I see.
This has nothing to do with Jews but more to do with POWER and the ability to manipulate OUR laws to fit and dismiss cases that would have sent mere mortals like you and I to jail after a 15 minute judgment at best.
All that lobbying to get them off the hook HAS WORKED. I double dare you to have the same power, rights or outcome if it were you. Spin it all you want now!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 09:56 AM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
No trial needed for a bunch of spies because "the rules" (see highlighted in red) have changed does not bother you I see.
This has nothing to do with Jews but more to do with POWER and the ability to manipulate OUR laws to fit and dismiss cases that would have sent mere mortals like you and I to jail after a 15 minute judgment at best.
All that lobbying to get them off the hook HAS WORKED. I double dare you to have the same power, rights or outcome if it were you. Spin it all you want now!

Never mind Drew, in Stu's world they were doing God's work, a couple of missionary's they are..........
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 09:57 AM
BenzWorld Elite

EVERYONE deserves their day in court here in the US. Guilty or innocent, they didn't have a good enough case to proceed. Yes, it happens to Muslims too.

News for both Expat and Drew. No matter who you are, the rule is innocent until proven guilty. This is not France. Don't like the laws? Quit whining and work to change them.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 09:57 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
Never mind Drew, in Stu's world they were doing God's work, a couple of missionary's they are..........
Honestly, I have no personal opinion of them.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
EVERYONE deserves their day in court here in the US. Guilty or innocent, they didn't have a good enough case to proceed. Yes, it happens to Muslims too.

News for both Expat and Drew. No matter who you are, the rule is innocent until proven guilty. This is not France. Don't like the laws? Quit whining and work to change them.
..they didn't even go to trail. They are innocent and proven innocent before we even got to hear the juicy details. This is lobbying at it finest
I don't know about all Muslim cases, but the cases of rendition, GITMO and prison without trial are as real as a heart attack.
As far as I am concerned, if these two were Muslims, Christians, Jews or whatever they should have been TRIED then we would have to accept the outcome. Again, this has nothing to do with RELIGION but you keep bringing it up, now why is that?
Let me repeat: Once more AIPAC has proven that IT IS THE MOST POWERFUL LOBBY IN AMERICA. Are you going to deny that?
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 10:03 AM
~BANNED~

Quote:

I have nothing against the laws, I have a problem with the way they are manipulated but hey, as I said this prejudice just makes Obama's job harder but you don't care about that..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in