Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuantle View Post
Think you can become Christ-like? Do you think any man is capable? The first link is a good basic description of the famous book The Imitation of Christ. You can read the entire book in the second link.

The Imitation of Christ (book) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis - Cyber Library
I think he sets the bar appropriately but not impossibly high, and we shouldn't be satisfied with our inability to clear it. There's a difference between being Christ-like and performing miracles, you dolt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 12:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
So while it may be pretty hard for you to be perfect as Jesus was, YOU DO IN FACT STILL HAVE TO TRY A BIT HARDER THAN YOU HAVE BEEN.

He that sees and knows all will know that your effort has been less than genuine, and your devotion a mere matter of convenience.
The path to heaven is not paved with a series of brownie points earned by traveler.
post #183 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 12:49 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Let get back to the topic: Stu, aardcark do you two think that torture is OK as long as we do it?
post #184 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
He doesn't get the concept Stuantle.
The belief is (to me now) easy, the follow is rough , and the obey is nearly humanly impossible( since we screw up), but we make a strong attempt at it.
It's a life long process, yet everybody expects perfection out of us, yet they are far from perfect themselves, and Christ is the only one who ever was.

Aardvark
Now you're simply embracing one you perceive as a philosophical ally. I don't know either of you, but your online personas each convey an impression. Yours gives the impression of one who seems to embrace the WWJD concept and attempts to follow his teachings. Stu's impression, OTOH, suggests that if the goal is unattainable, the quest is unworthy. Life is not about destination, it is about the journey. The attempt is its own reward.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #185 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Surely A Large Human

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
The path to heaven is not paved with a series of brownie points earned by traveler.
And it is not open to the bastard hypocrite.
post #186 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 12:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
And it is not open to the bastard hypocrite.
Another mis-conception. The path laid out in the NT has specifically been opened to everyone including sinners like me. I'm not the best shining example of a Christian and everyone here can see that but I know of what I speak. Many if not most are closer in adherence to the ideal than I.
post #187 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 12:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
No shit.

The point of much of this discussion is to find out if the two loudly proclaimed to be Christians engaged believe Jesus would want you to mistreat other humans up to some point where even heathens would consider the pain and agony being inflicted was revolting? At what point in your study of Jesus did you come to realize his folly in this matter? And remember, for you this is a mere exercise in intellectual probing. You are not presently in a corner, fighting for your life, or under any undue stress that might lead you to take some kind of self preserving violent action. You are sitting in front of a computer screen. The question is simple, and does not require you to do anything miraculous to be like Jesus - just to run through your mind the teachings of Jesus and find where he said your parsing of the definition of torture so you can allow mistreatment of human beings up to some point where it is indisputable that you have permanently ruined another human's ability to live a natural life? Where does Jesus teach that stopping just before you think you have crossed the line is in accordance with his teachings?

Jim
post #188 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Surely A Large Human

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Another mis-conception. The path laid out in the NT has specifically been opened to everyone including sinners like me. I'm not the best shining example of a Christian and everyone here can see that but I know of what I speak. Many if not most are closer in adherence to the ideal than I.
If Heaven will have a hypocrite like you and your sister here, and what seem like the millions of others I've met just like you, then I'll go on record as saying I want no part of it.

Even my son knows that WHAT YOU ACCOMPLISH isn't what matters; it's HOW MUCH OF YOUR EFFORT YOU APPLY. When you give 100%, to the best of your ability - genuine effort - the results will be what they will be.

Come judgment day, you may be surprised at where you find yourself.

Last edited by Qubes; 05-04-2009 at 01:03 PM.
post #189 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 01:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
Let get back to the topic: Stu, aardcark do you two think that torture is OK as long as we do it?
Only if I can pay you to do it. That way I will have clean hands.

/sarcasm
post #190 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
If Heaven will have a hypocrite like you and your sister here, and what seem like the millions of others I've met just like you, then I'll go on record as saying I want no part of it.
He's 100% correct, though. No argument. Read the book of John (sorry, couldn't help myself).

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in