BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
jdc1244
You are apparently interested enough to read the opinions.
Nobody is asking you to participate. Sorta a lot of interest if you look at the related subject of "If Jesus Were Alive" with 75 or so pages.
Apparently a hot subject when research polls claim that ~75% of americans claim christianity, and yet the news media and the beltway doesn't get it. This is not to claim that 75% actually live up to the concepts, but they claim christianity, none the less.

So, Sounds to me like discussion is in order, regardless of your desire.
I wouldn't even bring it up unless the subject gets touched on, and then......
Won't however buckle under when confronted on the subject.

Aardvark
I would think people claiming to be Christian that then support torture would be offensive to those who are truly attempting to live by the lessons Jesus Christ left us. Such as claiming humans torturing other humans can be acceptable under certain circumstances and then allowing that outlook to be attributed to Christianity.

Jim

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 03:53 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 96 E-320, 91 190E, various and sundry Euro and American vehicles
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
First off Jim,
I stated early on that I thought this question was somewhat directed as a christian slam by an atheist poster, Dope, and I did discuss it with the poster. We are diametrically opposed. . That in itself sets a precedence.
What were the poll questions? If for example it is based on waterboarding, rather than out and out doing physical and lasting mental damage? There is no knowledge of what was asked.
Who was polled???
Where was the poll conducted?? In the beltway?
Who was the poll conducted for?? Somebody paid for the service.
Then the Pew research center is oft times skewed. Most polls are, and out for an agenda. This definitely seems skewed and introduced here, again, by a person of atheist mindset, which is again skewed, like I as a christian would be on the other extreme (thus, no offense, Dope).

With all of that said, I don't condone torture, but I also need to ask what is considered torture? Some of these practices of loud rock music for hours on end and other silly annoyances are not torture, or I would be filing charges to a previous neighbor for permanent mental torture and anguish. Definition is key (that is an annoyance, not torture).
It gets annoying when christians again are thrown to the lions for simply having beliefs, and defending them and we are supposed to sit back in silence when atheists, radical muslims, and others speak their minds?
Nah, can't buy your mindset.
Also can't buy that christians prefer torture over non christians.
Do You Really Buy That?? I mean,,,,really??

AARDVARK
post #123 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 05:40 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
First off Jim,
I stated early on that I thought this question was somewhat directed as a christian slam by an atheist poster, Dope, and I did discuss it with the poster. We are diametrically opposed. . That in itself sets a precedence.
What were the poll questions? If for example it is based on waterboarding, rather than out and out doing physical and lasting mental damage? There is no knowledge of what was asked.
Who was polled???
Where was the poll conducted?? In the beltway?
Who was the poll conducted for?? Somebody paid for the service.
Then the Pew research center is oft times skewed. Most polls are, and out for an agenda. This definitely seems skewed and introduced here, again, by a person of atheist mindset, which is again skewed, like I as a christian would be on the other extreme (thus, no offense, Dope).

With all of that said, I don't condone torture, but I also need to ask what is considered torture? Some of these practices of loud rock music for hours on end and other silly annoyances are not torture, or I would be filing charges to a previous neighbor for permanent mental torture and anguish. Definition is key (that is an annoyance, not torture).
It gets annoying when christians again are thrown to the lions for simply having beliefs, and defending them and we are supposed to sit back in silence when atheists, radical muslims, and others speak their minds?
Nah, can't buy your mindset.
Also can't buy that christians prefer torture over non christians.
Do You Really Buy That?? I mean,,,,really??

AARDVARK
Aardvark,

You sure talk alot and above you ask quite few questions but answers surely are limited when you are asked on your so called knowledgeable statements.......

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/off-...ml#post3460949
post #124 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 07:30 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Not true. Jakarta
Been pretty open about things. People just don't like the answers.
It asks for personal acceptance of a philosophy and personal responsibility, which these days seems lacking.

Aardvark
post #125 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 07:50 AM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
^ You have to admit though, for someone who isn't interested in defending the church or religion, you sure spend a lot of time doing just that...
post #126 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 07:58 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Not true. Jakarta
Been pretty open about things. People just don't like the answers.
It asks for personal acceptance of a philosophy and personal responsibility, which these days seems lacking.

Aardvark
Yes, like when people hide behind phrases that suggest mistreating another human being might be acceptable if the damage done is not permanent. I suggest you use a metric like, how would you feel if someone did the same act to your child or wife?

We have no right to mistreat humans because we feel threatened by them. No parsing of words makes it right. I am surprised to hear someone who purports to be devoted to living life according to the lessons of Jesus Christ can be so comfortable with humans torturing other humans.

Jim

Last edited by JimSmith; 05-04-2009 at 08:03 AM.
post #127 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 08:21 AM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
Yes, like when people hide behind phrases that suggest mistreating another human being might be acceptable if the damage done is not permanent. I suggest you use a metric like, how would you feel if someone did the same act to your child or wife?

We have no right to mistreat humans because we feel threatened by them. No parsing of words makes it right. I am surprised to hear someone who purports to be devoted to living life according to the lessons of Jesus Christ can be so comfortable with humans torturing other humans.

Jim
Pshaw...that whole "do unto others" nonsense was only the fucking Sermon on the Mount. Plus, Matthew was an asshole. Anyway, if Jesus REALLY meant it, he'd have said stuff like "love thy neighbor as you would yourself" 800 times...kinda like how he did in the book of John.

The more I read Matthew and his account of Jesus' Sermon on the Mount, the more shocked I am that even Aardvark would defend torture.

Quote:
Matthew 5:44 - But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
post #128 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 09:01 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Again, Jim , and Obncgar
Define torture, and who says I support it? Sounds like your reading something into what I wrote, eh?
I will defend my own. Nothing unscriptural about that, but I don't go out looking for a fight. Self defense, or the defense of your land or country is not unscriptural. Your "turn the other cheek" has a differing meaning than it did in the days of Jesus, by the way, so don't fall back on that.
And as far as me talking down and then defending the churches on the other side. It is not that I believe all churches are defensible. There are some, however that do the right thing, and churches, in general are a good meeting place of like minds. It is rough to find one that does teach gospel principles and live them at the same time, but they are out there. Are they flawless? NO! They are inhabited by humans, and we are not flawless. You work around the flaws to the best of your ability and pray for guidance.

Seems like you want to pick apart the fine points, but negate the important points.
Important Point: Seek and Believe in Christ, or suffer the consequences. That's as simple as it gets. John ch3
The fine points come later.

Aardvark
post #129 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Again, Jim , and Obncgar
Define torture, and who says I support it? Sounds like your reading something into what I wrote, eh?
I will defend my own. Nothing unscriptural about that, but I don't go out looking for a fight. Self defense, or the defense of your land or country is not unscriptural. Your "turn the other cheek" has a differing meaning than it did in the days of Jesus, by the way, so don't fall back on that.
And as far as me talking down and then defending the churches on the other side. It is not that I believe all churches are defensible. There are some, however that do the right thing, and churches, in general are a good meeting place of like minds. It is rough to find one that does teach gospel principles and live them at the same time, but they are out there. Are they flawless? NO! They are inhabited by humans, and we are not flawless. You work around the flaws to the best of your ability and pray for guidance.

Seems like you want to pick apart the fine points, but negate the important points.
Important Point: Seek and Believe in Christ, or suffer the consequences. That's as simple as it gets. John ch3

Aardvark
Explain that distinction please?

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Seneca
post #130 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 09:20 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Again, Jim , and Obncgar

Aardvark

but...but...but.....

Quote:
Jakarta
As I have said in my very first post.
He is alive,
..... and does frequent many churches , in many religions.
Tough concept, eh?

Aardvark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in