post #91 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 01:13 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
Israel/Palestine, Al Qaeda/Taliban, Catholic child sex abuse, Orthodox Jew child sex abuse, Timothy McVeigh, David Koresh, the list goes on and on and on.
With respect, I am talking in millions, you are talking in thousands..

As for the examples, your first is not a religious dispute, the 3rd & 4th are crimes within a religious group (not because of) and the last two were plain nutters. Nobody really knows what Al Qaeda wants, except revenge for 'something'....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 02:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: '98 E320 Wagon (non 4matic)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TNTRower
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNZ View Post
So it's OK then ?

...... Murder ...for religious reasons only of course.
So when did I even say that? Try reading the following sentence there yoo hoo.

A very childish attempt at good ol' misdirection. You and McBear must be pretty good compatriots.

Go back to school (preferably private and religious) and get a real education.

Who's John Galt.

"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes" - Virgil, The Aeneid, Book 2

If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel. --Benjamin Netayahu
post #93 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multipurpose View Post
Timothy McVeigh was a libertarian and DID NOT believe in G*D.
My mistake on McVeigh; I have him confused with another individual and the name will find me probably in the middle of the night.

I didn't even bother with Hitler (too obvious). And I was sticking to the past 100 years.

Hospitals are money making operations - the bar for atonement must be awfully low if you're considering hospitals the case for the benevolence of religions. And anyway, those are overwhelmingly Catholic - probably more a function of meddling than do-gooding.

Finally, to dismiss Al Qaeda and the Taliban as having no connection to religion is hopelessly naive and almost unbelievably ignorant.
post #94 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 03:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
My mistake on McVeigh; I have him confused with another individual and the name will find me probably in the middle of the night.

I didn't even bother with Hitler (too obvious). And I was sticking to the past 100 years.

Hospitals are money making operations - the bar for atonement must be awfully low if you're considering hospitals the case for the benevolence of religions. And anyway, those are overwhelmingly Catholic - probably more a function of meddling than do-gooding.

Finally, to dismiss Al Qaeda and the Taliban as having no connection to religion is hopelessly naive and almost unbelievably ignorant.
Feel free to define down all you want. It still does not change the fact that the basis for our cultures, eastern and western, are based on the discoveries and patronage paid by religious organizations.

You choose to narrow yourself to the last 100 years and see only evil. For that I feel very sorry for you.

I prefer to look at the big picture and see that religion, even with all its faults, is at its core a good thing. Those who are not hypocrites and who live their lives according to the teachings of their God, are generally happier and have more to contribute to help society.

Who's John Galt.

If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel. --Benjamin Netayahu
post #95 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 03:21 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRower View Post
Feel free to define down all you want. It still does not change the fact that the basis for our cultures, eastern and western, are based on the discoveries and patronage paid by religious organizations.

You choose to narrow yourself to the last 100 years and see only evil. For that I feel very sorry for you.

I prefer to look at the big picture and see that religion, even with all its faults, is at its core a good thing. Those who are not hypocrites and who live their lives according to the teachings of their God, are generally happier and have more to contribute to help society.
Keyhole narrowed it down to the last 100 years, not me. The evil is pretty fucking evil, and the good is pretty milquetoast.

That the non-hypocritical people living their lives according to (select) teachings of God, while admirable, isn't something that religions can claim as a product of their existence. It's a non-sequitur. Those people would be good and decent, with or without religion; just as the bastards would be bastards with or without.
post #96 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:

To discuss western society without religion prior to the enlightenment and more specifically Darwin is fallacious. There were no real alternatives to superstition of one sort or another. Moreover, the penalties for not 'toeing the line' were harsh and well documented. The religious institutions held the power and the money and accordingly it is not at all remarkable that colleges and hospitals had such origins.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Seneca
post #97 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 03:34 PM
BNZ
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Quote:
So when did I even say that? Try reading the following sentence there yoo hoo.

A very childish attempt at good ol' misdirection. You and McBear must be pretty good compatriots.

Go back to school (preferably private and religious) and get a real education.

I had a catholic education ....it turned me into an atheist. I was saved !

Murder is still murder no matter how many times you bless yourself, attend confession pay indulgences or in what invented Gods name it was committed.
Your 'millions of people' would not have been killed if it was not for the hypocrisy of religions.
You can't justify it.

[/QUOTE]Originally Posted by TNTRower

So in sum, I would say that for millions of people who have been killed in the name of various religions, BILLIONS have been helped.[/QUOTE]
post #98 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 04:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNZ View Post

I had a catholic education ....it turned me into an atheist. I was saved !

Murder is still murder no matter how many times you bless yourself, attend confession pay indulgences or in what invented Gods name it was committed.
Your 'millions of people' would not have been killed if it was not for the hypocrisy of religions.
You can't justify it.

Originally Posted by TNTRower

So in sum, I would say that for millions of people who have been killed in the name of various religions, BILLIONS have been helped.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

And please quote the following sentence that I had written there yoo hoo.

Who's John Galt.

post #99 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 04:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
And now instead of the Church lending the helping hand, people now want the helping hand to come from government.
Hand outs for the masses.

© All photographs and likenesses of Multipurpose are protected under copyright
law. Any use of photographs in whole or in part is strictly prohibited
unless authorization is granted in writing by copyright holder. All rights
reserved.
post #100 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 04:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Quote:
McVeigh and his rhyme & reasonings for doing what he did is more in line with what some of the left have been preaching here for the last 6 or more years about our government.

© All photographs and likenesses of Multipurpose are protected under copyright
law. Any use of photographs in whole or in part is strictly prohibited
unless authorization is granted in writing by copyright holder. All rights
reserved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in