Spectrum of theistic probability - Page 7 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

View Poll Results: Belief in God - Time to Nail your Belief to...you know.
Strong theist. 100 per cent probability of God. 3 17.65%
DeFacto Theist Very High Probability but short of 100% 0 0%
Technical Agnostic leaning toward Theism 3 17.65%
Impartial Agnostic "Mr. Fence Sitter" 1 5.88%
Technical Agnostic leaning toward Atheist 1 5.88%
DeFacto Atheist - Low probability but short of Zero 4 23.53%
Strong Atheist 4 23.53%
Survey Says: What's with this limit thing? 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
^ Ye of little faith.
...he said as he fell asleep to dream of angels dancing on the head of his...

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 09:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow View Post
I just got back in from resetting the adaptive transmission program in SWMBO's 210 back to the default.

HOLY SHIT!
Try driving an E55 rental from Milton Keynes just after Mika Hakkinen has turned it in after three weeks. Reset sucked.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #63 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 09:36 PM

Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Try driving an E55 rental from Milton Keynes just after Mika Hakkinen has turned it in after three weeks. Reset sucked.
Who is she? Tennis star?

Bad Dig!

post #64 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 11:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 2004 Lexus LS 430 Modern Luxury. 2012 Acura TSX (fun fun) Maybe MB again one day...
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
"Hinduism and Buddhism offer much more sophisticated worldviews (or philosophies) and I see nothing wrong with these religions." -- Richard Dawkins
I concur.
post #65 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 11:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Who is she? Tennis star?

Bad Dig!
Ice skater

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #66 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 06:39 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
My family was on-again/off-again protestants. My mom made my dad and us go to church on major religious holidays, and when she felt like they needed it (more of the "we're running low on good things in our lives, gotta go to church for a refil" mentality). I spent some time in Sunday school, and always loathed it. "Memorize the apostles and you get a candy bar." Whatever.

My dad always had issues with religion...the serialized offering envelopes were a particular problem for him. Came in neat little boxes, that "anonymously" allowed for offerings, but any moron could tell they were keeping track of who gave what.

Some distant relatives in the same area moved into a new home, and a new priest took over their local Catholic church (my wife's family is all Catholic). He called them to see when he could come by to talk to them about the church, and their family's 'obligation' to it. (I forget the actual term he used, but it was clear he was going to tell them how much money he wanted them to 'offer').

I spent time being agnostic, but I too have had experiences where, for a fleeting moment, I felt a sense of calm and clarity of thought and comfort - even in a very distressing time. One time, and I regret this completely, I'd just had a great meal with a co-worker in Florida, and we'd finished off at least a bottle of wine. I shouldn't have been driving, but I did. It was NOT easy to even find my hotel sober, which I had been to once, and I don't even remember the drive, but I remember getting in the car, and the next thing I know, I'm stepping out of the car at the hotel. The rest is a blur, but somehow I was lucid again, and knew that I didn't just drive that car.

I don't pray, certainly not for myself, anymore. I realized how selfish that act is, and that I shouldn't be afraid to give myself credit and blame for my actions. Most people don't understand the concept of "making your own luck", nor the concept of envisioning the reality you want to live as a method for making that reality come to be. Napoleon Hill had it right. THAT is what I've experienced. When I set a goal and envision it coming to pass, it does. Prayer-free. Usually a lot faster than I anticipate. THEN the trick becomes living bravely enough to wish for great things. Fear of greatness can be paralyzing. That's where I am now, unfortunately.
Well put, Q. I fall in the same group, for similar reasons - with the exception that I was raised a Catholic by parents who encouraged me, and my sisters, to understand we are the ones who have to live with our decisions most directly, so we should make sure we make those decisions for reasons we understand.

Being someone who has made a living in the ether between engineering and pure science for near 4 decades I cannot invest the energy needed to say there is no God, and cannot understand how religious people get the idea science is their enemy. Science does a nice job of discovering how our observed world is related, kind of behind the scenes, and engineering does a good job of exploiting those findings to produce mostly useful aids to our survival. God may have set the system up and be checking in on how his experiment is running, but "religion" in the organized state it exists is an economic and political device designed, engineered, built and operated by men. Same as the men who just screwed us over on Wall St. Greedy, power hungry, perverts.

Back to the question of "god" - science makes no pretense in answering the "why" stuff, like "Why was there a big bang that resulted in the existence of time, and light, and mass and all the other bizarre stuff we are discovering?" So, the odds that it could be the result of "god" exercising will is about the same as any other explanation that a human can conjure. And a good engineer or scientist will always be aware of the difference between what he "knows" and what he does not "know" - and avoid putting a lot energy into pushing one side or the other of a subject that falls into the "not know" category.

The best evidence I see for there being some "god" influencing things is the general progress of things in the world. In the overall struggle between "good" and "evil" it seems "good" is winning out. This seems to defy general "odds." For example, just look at WWII - Hitler was an evil guy and he came pretty close to succeeding. But he didn't. And he didn't get the A-bomb. And so on. Without something to influence the odds to favor "good" there is no real reason why one of the evil empires of the past isn't still running things.

I have zero belief that praying does a damn thing other than comfort those who believe it does. So, I don't do it and don't bother those who do. It falls in the category of jacking off - those who are doing it are enjoying it and it is not my job to stop them or make them miserable about it - that seems to be the job the Catholic Church wants. Again, religion interfering with god's work.

Jim
post #67 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 10:56 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dope View Post
@ Stu-pid

That joke must be nearly as old as you!
Yeah, but you must agree, it makes for some good humor when we really need some between us.
post #68 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 10:59 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
Well put, Q. I fall in the same group, for similar reasons - with the exception that I was raised a Catholic by parents who encouraged me, and my sisters, to understand we are the ones who have to live with our decisions most directly, so we should make sure we make those decisions for reasons we understand.

Being someone who has made a living in the ether between engineering and pure science for near 4 decades I cannot invest the energy needed to say there is no God, and cannot understand how religious people get the idea science is their enemy. Science does a nice job of discovering how our observed world is related, kind of behind the scenes, and engineering does a good job of exploiting those findings to produce mostly useful aids to our survival. God may have set the system up and be checking in on how his experiment is running, but "religion" in the organized state it exists is an economic and political device designed, engineered, built and operated by men. Same as the men who just screwed us over on Wall St. Greedy, power hungry, perverts.

Back to the question of "god" - science makes no pretense in answering the "why" stuff, like "Why was there a big bang that resulted in the existence of time, and light, and mass and all the other bizarre stuff we are discovering?" So, the odds that it could be the result of "god" exercising will is about the same as any other explanation that a human can conjure. And a good engineer or scientist will always be aware of the difference between what he "knows" and what he does not "know" - and avoid putting a lot energy into pushing one side or the other of a subject that falls into the "not know" category.

The best evidence I see for there being some "god" influencing things is the general progress of things in the world. In the overall struggle between "good" and "evil" it seems "good" is winning out. This seems to defy general "odds." For example, just look at WWII - Hitler was an evil guy and he came pretty close to succeeding. But he didn't. And he didn't get the A-bomb. And so on. Without something to influence the odds to favor "good" there is no real reason why one of the evil empires of the past isn't still running things.

I have zero belief that praying does a damn thing other than comfort those who believe it does. So, I don't do it and don't bother those who do. It falls in the category of jacking off - those who are doing it are enjoying it and it is not my job to stop them or make them miserable about it - that seems to be the job the Catholic Church wants. Again, religion interfering with god's work.

Jim
Jim,
You can go from irritance to amazement with the flick of a mouse.
post #69 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 11:35 AM
It Is What It Is, Dude

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1978 107.024 RIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
I'd like to hear more about this candy bar. Could you be a bit more specific?

Would a Butterfinger Jesus be just too wrong?
post #70 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 11:36 AM

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by isthisdave View Post
Would a Butterfinger Jesus be just too wrong?
Down at the Cineplex43, that would be a Big Butterfinger Jesus.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in