post #61 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 08:43 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuantle View Post
I have looked at the V-Rod. I was seriously considering one when I noticed the small tank. I hear they increased the volume. How is the handling for such a heavy bike?
The bike is very fast, but all heavy bikes suck when it comes to handling, one essentially sacrifices handling for size. If you want a bike that handles and has the big-bike feel, get a Softtail- skip the Springer option, the low-to-ground old style frame when mated to a modern front end handles much better than big bikes with shocks, I say mine handles almost as good as my Sportster, and in some situations, better. If you want a Harley and you want real handling and do not need bags or riders, buy a Sportster 1200, put in a fuel-injection kit, a full-flow air cleaner and a set of Samson pipes, and you will have what I think is the best sport motorcycle ever built for those who aren't into the Ninja thing. The Nightster is the best handling but it is so low to the ground it will give you a pretty rough ride, I prefer the Custom which is higher off the ground and a little more comfortable to ride and the big tank.

The big advantage to the V rod is that it is water-cooled. Air cooled Harleys have reached their design-limits as far as HP output goes when restricted by EPA guidelines. If you water cool the engine, you can still meet EPA specs and crank out the HP. Honda is their big competion in this area, test ride both the V rod and Honda VTX 1800 and see which one you like better. I prefer the Honda, mostly because what is essentially the same bike costs about $8,000 less from Honda, altho the V Rod has it all over the Honda in the styling department, the Harley looks a lot cooler, it is designed to appeal to the European market, where Harley is doing quite well. It has not been as popular in the US, and as a result, you can find great deals on used ones, in fact, if I was in the market, that is how I would buy one, you can find Vrods with a few thousand miles for thousands off new.

Honda also has a new water-cooled v twin bike coming out this month, the Fury, which is essentially a factory chopper. It uses the 1300 engine. I'm thinking of buying one:

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2008/11/3...er-motorcycle/

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address

Last edited by FeelTheLove; 04-28-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 11:11 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FTL,
How old of a softail can I get and still get some good handling. I rode a guy's Nightrain a few years ago and was not impressed. I am an experienced biker as I was a pro bike drag racer. I need something heavy that I can still whip around in a parking lot without getting freaky. The wife has agreed to a new (used) bike if I stay off the freeway for commuting to work. She has seen me have entirely too much fun on freeway on-ramps. You know that cheap thrill that starts at your butt and runs up your thorax. I used to get it in 1320 feet at 120 mph but that is out of the question at my age so I just do on-ramps for a thrill.

I have one kid with a Honda Ace and another with a Gixxer. Hate both bikes. The Honda does not feel stable and will not turn. The Gixxer is just plain squirrely. I have also considered a newer V-Max but have never ridden one.
post #63 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 11:47 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2006 B 200 & Audi A6..
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
FTL,
I am an experienced biker as I was a pro bike drag racer. You know that cheap thrill that starts at your butt and runs up your thorax. I used to get it in 1320 feet at 120 mph ..............
Stu........Now all becomes clear.

You've been sucking back too much NITRO METHANE
post #64 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 11:53 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
^ Never got into nitro. Someone added a little to my tank to shave off some tenths. It blew the tips off my spark plugs. I ran Daco racing fuel.
post #65 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 12:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2006 B 200 & Audi A6..
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
^ Never got into nitro. Someone added a little to my tank to shave off some tenths. It blew the tips off my spark plugs.
It's been known to blow a lot more than spark plugs tips off.

You got away lucky.
post #66 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 12:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Talking

Quote:
FTL,
How old of a softail can I get and still get some good handling. I rode a guy's Nightrain a few years ago and was not impressed. I am an experienced biker as I was a pro bike drag racer. I need something heavy that I can still whip around in a parking lot without getting freaky. The wife has agreed to a new (used) bike if I stay off the freeway for commuting to work. She has seen me have entirely too much fun on freeway on-ramps. You know that cheap thrill that starts at your butt and runs up your thorax. I used to get it in 1320 feet at 120 mph but that is out of the question at my age so I just do on-ramps for a thrill.

I have one kid with a Honda Ace and another with a Gixxer. Hate both bikes. The Honda does not feel stable and will not turn. The Gixxer is just plain squirrely. I have also considered a newer V-Max but have never ridden one.
All the Honda big twins are cows. What you are really buying is reliability, if I had to pick a bike that I had to ride to Alaska tomorrow, I'd pick the Honda. I've seen VTX's with 80,000 miles on them that run like new. Hell, a Harley at 80,000 miles has already been taken apart and put back together two or three times.

That being said, I would think any of the Softails from the 90's on handle well, but I think the secret of mine is I had the dealer put in the Harley lowering kit so my GF could ride it ( the Honda was just not her cup of tea, so I get stuck on it and she gets the harley when we ride together), so make sure their is a lowering kit available for it, it cost me about $300 total on a dealer install. It dropped the bike to a nice, comfortable level. Stay away from the springers. They look great but they make the bike handle funky, they are made for a hard-tail frame and I think the softail makes them bounce weird. The fat-bob style front end on the newer ones looks pretty awesome anyway.

You would dig the old cloverleafs in Houston. I do.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

post #67 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 12:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
No bear. The word is bitter. Bitter because your boy is not catching on w/ most Americans. Bitter because those on the Right are so effective in pointing out his naievity and inexperience. Bitter because he is likely to cost more American lives than he saves. Bitter because he is making President Bush look like a much stronger and more honest President than even those on the Right thought he was; etc. etc. etc... Getting the picture???
This is the only picture I'm getting from that WEIRD post:

post #68 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 12:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

^ you misspelled "scum"

post #69 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 12:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1987 560SL
Send a message via AIM to jplinville
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove View Post
All the Honda big twins are cows. What you are really buying is reliability, if I had to pick a bike that I had to ride to Alaska tomorrow, I'd pick the Honda. I've seen VTX's with 80,000 miles on them that run like new. Hell, a Harley at 80,000 miles has already been taken apart and put back together two or three times.

That being said, I would think any of the Softails from the 90's on handle well, but I think the secret of mine is I had the dealer put in the Harley lowering kit so my GF could ride it ( the Honda was just not her cup of tea, so I get stuck on it and she gets the harley when we ride together), so make sure their is a lowering kit available for it, it cost me about $300 total on a dealer install. It dropped the bike to a nice, comfortable level. Stay away from the springers. They look great but they make the bike handle funky, they are made for a hard-tail frame and I think the softail makes them bounce weird. The fat-bob style front end on the newer ones looks pretty awesome anyway.

You would dig the old cloverleafs in Houston. I do.
I rode this from Ohio to Utah a few weeks ago...it was one hell of a ride!!

I'm not a real dickhead...but I acted like one in high school.
post #70 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 02:08 PM
~BANNED~

Vehicle: 1969-280s, 2000 SL500, 1981 300D, 1980 450SL
I was going to buy the yamaha warrior but the HP was down on comparison to the V-Rod. Price diff. was 5K less for th Yam.
but.. the Yamaha had a engine performance kit that cost 5K to bring up the HP to similar #'s as the Rod.
so, I thought, Why buy a souped Yamaha when I get a V-Rod, Stock, for the same money?

there's my rationale.

I'd think that my best all around bike (if I had to own, JUST ONE)
BMW touring bike.. any one of them.
the problem is that seat height is 32+ inches.
making it tip toes for me.

so, I'm stuck with owning at least two bikes.

Stu:
I agree on the Sportster 1200, to some degree.
It just needs more wind protection, with aerodynamics., less vibration and a more stable front end.
I'm sitting steady on all my bikes for now.
although, I'd like a new 1098
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in