87,000 Iraqis dead - Page 6 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 05:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
I see that you're not actually disagreeing with me but try to push the envelop and get to the source. Don't worry, political correctness is no longer cool, be free, fly like a butterfly and open the flood gates... Don't be scared!
I would put it another way..... You're not totally disagreeing with me....

As far as butterflys are concerned, the closest I can come to that is the butterfly tailed Bonanza I used to own.

"Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon, the pigeon knocks over all the pieces, on the board and then struts around like it won the game."
Vladimir Putin

"They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?"
Paul Harvey 8/31/94

"The only people who have quick answers don't have the responsibility of making the decisions."
Justice Clarence Thomas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 05:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 300SD
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
It is amazing how quickly people forget what really happened. We had a whole team of UN weapon inspectors in Iraq just before the invasion looking exactly for - you know WMDs. When they could not come up with anything, Bush and his cronies became impatient and started claiming that Saddam must be clearly hiding those weapons in his palaces. They demanded that Saddam give those inspectors permission to search his palaces. This permission was granted. The search of several palaces turned up nothing. At this point the inspection team asked for several weeks of additional time to complete the inspections.
Bush administration, in fear that no WMDs will be found and that their main justification for war will prove to be nothing but hot air, decided to immediately pull all of the UN weapon inspectors out of Iraq, claiming that Saddam was lying and hiding his weapons. So Bush kicked out all the inspectors and gave Saddam I believe 48 hours to leave the country or be invaded. (And of course the charade at the US where Colin Powell presented the "proof" of WMDs in Iraq).
This is how I remember these events 6 years ago as I was following them closely.

It is a not a matter of polling our opinion whether this invasion was criminal or not - by international law standards and opinions of legal experts it was criminal. According to what was known at the time, Bush should have invaded Saudi Arabia instead, as 16 of the 19 9/11 hijackers were Saudis, and NONE were Iraqis. Instead Bush claimed that Saudis are our friends and secretly ordered the FBI to fly quite of few members of Osama bin Laden's family who happened to be here at the time, out of the US. And here lies the biggest hypocrisy of all.

Last edited by p100; 04-25-2009 at 05:20 PM.
post #53 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 05:20 PM
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by p100 View Post
It is amazing how quickly people forget what really happened. We had a whole team of UN weapon inspectors in Iraq just before the invasion looking exactly for - you know WMDs. When they could not come up with anything, Bush and his cronies became impatient and started claiming that Saddam must be clearly hiding those weapons in his palaces. They demanded that Saddam give those inspectors permission to search his palaces. This permission was granted. The search of several palaces turned up nothing. At this point the inspection team asked for several weeks of additional time to complete the inspections.
Bush administration, in fear that no WMDs will be found and that their main justification for war will prove to be nothing but hot air, decided to immediately pull all of the UN weapon inspectors out of Iraq, claiming that Saddam was lying and hiding his weapons. So Bush kicked out all the inspectors and gave Saddam I believe 48 hours to leave the country or be invaded. (And of course the charade at the US where Colin Powell presented "proof" of WMDs in Iraq.
This is how I remember these events 6 years ago as I was following them closely.

It is a not a matter of polling our opinion whether this invasion was criminal or not - by international law standards it was criminal. According to what was known at the time, Bush should have invaded Saudi Arabia instead, as 16 of the 19 9/11 hijackers were Saudis. Instead Bush claimed that Saudis are our friends and secretly ordered the FBI top fly quite of few members of Osama bin Laden's family who happened to be here at the time, out of the US. And here lies the biggest hypocrisy of all.
Right on the money and correct in every way.
post #54 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 05:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
You seem to have conveniently left out the rest of the story: Saddam also kicked out the inspectors on a number of occasions giving even the clumsiest of troops enough time to move literally tons of equipment and supplies.

Quote:
Bush administration, in fear that no WMDs will be found and that their main justification for war will prove to be nothing but hot air, decided to immediately pull all of the UN weapon inspectors out of Iraq, claiming that Saddam was lying and hiding his weapons. So Bush kicked out all the inspectors and gave Saddam I believe 48 hours to leave the country or be invaded. (And of course the charade at the US where Colin Powell presented the "proof" of WMDs in Iraq).
You have a poor recollection of the situation.
Bush couldn’t “kick out” the inspectors, they weren’t under his control, they were UN inspectors.

The rest of your post is equally flawed, please get at least SOME of your story straight, it makes you look foolish..........

"Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon, the pigeon knocks over all the pieces, on the board and then struts around like it won the game."
Vladimir Putin

"They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?"
Paul Harvey 8/31/94

"The only people who have quick answers don't have the responsibility of making the decisions."
Justice Clarence Thomas
post #55 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 05:36 PM
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Most of the UN inspectors were Americans so who do you think had more weight on them?
post #56 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 06:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 300SD
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
The UN inspectors were actually recalled by the UN Secretary General Kofi Annan, under pressure from Washington and immediate threat of war. Which does not change the meaning much.

But, I am sure that you do not find Bush's explanations flawed at all.
Here is an interesting link:

http://www.salon.com/opinion/conason...3/31/bush_lies

Last edited by p100; 04-25-2009 at 06:16 PM.
post #57 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 07:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: w204 (C350ELE)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thumbs down

Quote:
The UN inspectors were actually recalled by the UN Secretary General Kofi Annan, under pressure from Washington and immediate threat of war. Which does not change the meaning much.
But, I am sure that you do not find Bush's explanations flawed at all.
Here is an interesting link:
"Saddam chose to deny inspectors" | Salon
I don't know whose report is wrong but what I got was a memo from Annan to the inspectors reading "Fellows come back, Bush invited us for coffee in Washington".

Too bad Annan is no longer at the UN to check it.
post #58 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 10:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuantle View Post
How could you possibly get an accurate count in a country like that in a war like that? They don't even know how many people died under Saddam.

How honest is the tally? Did they include everyone who died of any cause or really just the victims of violence? What percentage was Muslim on Muslim violence? How many died of US ordinance?

I never believed the 600k BS and less than 100k sounds a little more reasonable. Neither are accurate in my opinion but it does temper the stupid 600k claim.
Sometime last year World Health Organization revamped their figures [I posted it up] that knocked the 500K-600K number down to 300K. And that was based on better data that counted only violence related deaths and incorporated those who had previously been declared dead that had, in fact be displaced to other countries but found. That stack of folks made up 250K.

WHO is really good at how they do this. Unfortunately they have a ton of experience at it. What is so odd is that they come up with numbers and folks take sides that "it is wrong" whenever it casts such a bad light on THEIR leader but take the number as gospel when it is used to justify why we should go into a country [have you ever heard anyone on the right question the number of Kurds that Saddam killed when using that particular justification for invading Iraq? - same group doing the census].

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #59 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 10:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce R. View Post
You better tell that to the Clintons, MI-5, the CIA, NATO, the UN, and a few others I can't think of offhand, and the answer to your question is that YOU are misleading, or at least trying to....
You might ought to recheck your sources. Apparently, under oath in Congress and before congressional committee they seemed somewhat less confident in those assertions.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #60 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 11:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Shutting up Baghdad Bob is reason enough !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in