LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Don't you have to stress-relieve any joints you weld, period? I thought doing that was more complex than just using a torch...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 07:33 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 1987 420SEL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cracked welds?

The only welds I've ever had crack was with the $99 SMAW welder I bought at Crappy Tire. Really, it was only good for pasting two pieces of vaguely similar metals together, and not actual welding.

I'd hazard a guess and say that perhaps you weren't getting the penetration you were after (Don't you hate when that happens?) or there was contamination in the weld.
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
yes, penetration is key
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 07:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: '98 E320 Wagon (non 4matic)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TNTRower
With MIG it is best to make welds in the horizontal and flat positions. In general, fillet welds in lap joints are made more easily than groove welds in butt joints. Fillet welds in tee joints are preferred over corner joints.

A drawback in MIG welding in restoration of automobiles is the workability of the weld. The wire used in MIG cools harder than in TIG welding, making it harder to hammer and dolly the weld afterwards. Because MIG welding uses a constant fed wire to produce the arc, some buildup of material usually occurs that has to be ground off. This also generates heat in the panel that can cause warpage.

TIG is a whole lot slower, true. But I think with practice it yields a stronger weld and overall higher quality result.

What is the material you will be using?

Who's John Galt.

"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes" - Virgil, The Aeneid, Book 2

If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel. --Benjamin Netayahu
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
steel chassis tubes
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Moderately subtle

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Dig can advise on tig and mig.

post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Dig? Are you sure?
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 07:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: '98 E320 Wagon (non 4matic)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TNTRower
It has been many years since I have done lots of welding.

Since it is a chassis I don't know how the workability of the weld will effect it much.

I will say it is a whole lot easier to make bad welds that actually look good with MIG.

The puddle can look ok and not actually go far enough through.

The TIG has the added benefit of being HIGHLY localized with the heat as compared to MIG. That means less problem with thermal cracking or creating brittle spots as you can with MIG.

Who's John Galt.

"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes" - Virgil, The Aeneid, Book 2

If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel. --Benjamin Netayahu
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRower View Post
It has been many years since I have done lots of welding.

Since it is a chassis I don't know how the workability of the weld will effect it much.

I will say it is a whole lot easier to make bad welds that actually look good with MIG.

The puddle can look ok and not actually go far enough through.

The TIG has the added benefit of being HIGHLY localized with the heat as compared to MIG. That means less problem with thermal cracking or creating brittle spots as you can with MIG.
Those were my observations and experience years ago too but mig is so tempting in terms of equipment.
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 08:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
Your thoughts
You mean the blond vs brunette cat fight ?

Quote:

Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Wednesday that she was first informed in a confidential briefing a few years ago that Rep. Jane Harman had been recorded by spy agencies, but that she couldn't tell Harman or anyone else about it.

Pelosi said the briefing from intelligence agencies was usual practice in the Capitol, where top congressional leaders are always told when a member of Congress pops up during the course of secret investigations.

Pelosi wouldn't comment on the substance of the briefing about Harman.

"I was not in a position to raise it with Jane Harman. All they said was that she was wiretapped," said Pelosi, who said she couldn't remember if the secret briefing took place in 2005 or 2006.

"When you are briefed on something it isn't your role to share it with anybody else," said Pelosi, who served on the Intelligence Committee for a decade until she entered the House Democratic leadership about six years ago. "Even if I wanted to share it with her I would not have had the liberty to share it with her," she added at a roundtable sponsored by the Christian Science Monitor.

Congressional Quarterly reported April 19 that National Security Agency eavesdroppers heard Harman agreeing in 2005 to an appeal from a suspected Israeli agent to intervene in an effort to reduce espionage-related charges lodged against two former officials of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, or AIPAC, Washington's most powerful pro-Israel organization.

The New York Times published a similar front-page story Monday, adding that Harman was told in the conversation that Haim Saban, a wealthy Democratic donor, would threaten to withhold political contributions to Nancy Pelosi, also a California Democrat, unless Harman was tapped to head the House Intelligence panel. CQ confirmed that account in its "SpyTalk" blog Wednesday.

Harman has launched a media offensive to dispute the sources' accounts, and has written to the Justice Department demanding that it release all transcripts of any recorded conversations. And Pelosi said the threat of a cutoff in donations never happened.

"Haim Saban has been a friend of mine for many years," she said, adding that their friendship and political partnership persisted even though they disagreed on some issues, such as the war in Iraq.

"Many, many of Jane's friends talked to me about her being named chair, but never in a threatening way," Pelosi added.

The speaker defended Harman. "I have great confidence in Jane Harman. She is a patriotic American," she said.

Since Pelosi named Rep. Silvestre Reyes, D-Texas, as Intelligence chairman after Democrats took back the House in 2006, accounts have differed as to why Harman didn't get the post she sought.

Some said it was because Pelosi and Harman differed on Iraq. Others said the two Californians had never been close. And now the latest reports raise the spectre of financial pressure on Pelosi. The speaker said none were true and that the real reason was much more mundane.

Pelosi said Democratic caucus rules provide that a member can be the party's top-ranking Intelligence member for two terms. Harman had reached that limit when Democrats won the 2006 election, she said.

"The only reason Jane was not chosen is because she already had two terms. It had nothing to do with wiretaps or Iraq," she said.

On another topic, Pelosi reiterated her support for a "truth commission" to look into interrogation techniques used in the George W. Bush administration against suspected terrorists, but said those investigated by the panel should not get blanket immunity from possible prosecution.

On Tuesday, President Obama said some officials who developed the policy for harsh interrogation could face prosecutions.

"My thinking has long been that we should have a truth commission. But I think we should be more selective in granting immunity," she said.

Pelosi said she supports the House Judiciary Committee looking into the interrogation issue.

Some Democrats in Congress have called for impeachment proceedings against Jay Bybee, a federal appeals court judge in California, who as a Bush administration official was an author of the so-called "torture memos."

Pelosi said before she decides whether to support an impeachment probe she wants more information. "It's important to get the facts from his confirmation hearings," Pelosi said, referring to President Bush's nomination of Bybee to the federal bench. Before that, Bybee had served in the Department of Justice's Office of Legal Counsel, where the memos authorizing tough interrogation techniques were written.

"But I do think that the legal opinions issued by the Office of Legal Counsel did not serve our country well or represent its values," Pelosi added.
Pelosi Said She Knew Harman Was Wiretapped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in