"Get in your truck and move!" - Page 6 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 10:07 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
So Limbaugh, Hannity, Coulter, Beck, et al, make a living discussing people and things they approve of? Is their tone and message generally rooted in the track of love or the track of fear?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 10:11 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRower View Post
I couldn't disagree with you more. Go listen to some of the bigger shows. Laura Ingraham, Hannity, Beck, Limbaugh. They always have examples, sources, and evidence to back up their assertions.

Now you are just making stuff up.
You'll need to be specific in regard to "making stuff up".

Those assertions are nothing more than opinions. Why would anyone give a rat's behind about the opinions of these folks? They are not exactly America's brightest. This isn't like attending class and actually learning something like statistics, M-Theory, or organic chemistry. In fact Hannity has suggested that some of his "opinions" are fabricated to generate ratings and appease his audience. There is only one reason to listen to any of these folks as a matter of course -- you must want to be told what to think.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #53 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 10:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: '98 E320 Wagon (non 4matic)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TNTRower
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
You'll need to be specific in regard to "making stuff up".

Those assertions are nothing more than opinions. Why would anyone give a rat's behind about the opinions of these folks? They are not exactly America's brightest. This isn't like attending class and actually learning something like statistics, M-Theory, or organic chemistry. In fact Hannity has suggested that some of his "opinions" are fabricated to generate ratings and appease his audience. There is only one reason to listen to any of these folks as a matter of course -- you must want to be told what to think.
I disagree with you completely. I see Talk radio, particularly conservative talk radio to be very similar to this forum. There obviously is not the give and take that goes on here.

And before you go down the road of how they don't let intelligent liberal callers on the shows, perhaps you should step back and look at what liberals resort to when presented with sources, evidence, etc. They resort to ad hominem attacks and name calling.

Again, another example of how this forum and Talk radio are alike.

Who's John Galt.

"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes" - Virgil, The Aeneid, Book 2

If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel. --Benjamin Netayahu
post #54 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 11:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multipurpose View Post
Place him right up there with the other teachers who've done the same!
Do you know any teachers that have dated a student?

Has he been found guilty?
A typical pre-teen kid's argument - "Johnny does it so why can't I?" - is Multi's response to many situations where he is unable to actually think of something logical to support his position. The subject was cops getting out of hand and bullying, or worse, and in defense of the cop who has been arrested for diddling an underage kid, he says "Place him right up there with the other teachers who've done the same!"

The teachers that diddle kids are no excuse for a cop who is sworn to protect the citizens and diddles kids for kicks. Just like the local hoodlum who bullies the neighborhood is no excuse for a cop who bullies citizens he is sworn to protect. How childish an argument can you generate? Are you 12 years old yet?

Jim
post #55 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 11:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
I couldn't disagree with you more. Go listen to some of the bigger shows. Laura Ingraham, Hannity, Beck, Limbaugh. They always have examples, sources, and evidence to back up their assertions.

Jim
post #56 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 11:17 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Quote:
I disagree with you completely. I see Talk radio, particularly conservative talk radio to be very similar to this forum. There obviously is not the give and take that goes on here.

And before you go down the road of how they don't let intelligent liberal callers on the shows, perhaps you should step back and look at what liberals resort to when presented with sources, evidence, etc. They resort to ad hominem attacks and name calling.

Again, another example of how this forum and Talk radio are alike.
And there you go again, showing your true colors. This forum is nothing like talk radio, because of the give and take. You're comparing conversation to attending a lecture. Is that some kind of weird military 'speak when spoken to' thing? I can only surmise that your comparison belies a personal wish to broadcast and not receive (or vice versa). You should really step back and assess what it is that you find so attractive about all of the inherent negativity that you seem to cherish. It isn't natural and it isn't healthy. Personally, I find the startling popularity of hate-radio to belie a sick and wounded American public in need of something, I know not what. When you're seeking out something that intends to detract you from a track of universal understanding and acceptance, it may be time for a course correction.

post #57 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 11:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
This is where I disagree with you.

If you listen to the talk radio at all nobody is telling you what to believe. All of them in fact are trying to get what they think is the real story out to people.

In all seriousness, what or when have any of the top 3 talk radio folks (Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck) ever said something along the lines of "This is what you need to believe."

I have heard all of them say, "this is what I believe and here is the evidence that I have to support it."
It is a vicious circle. You don't hear what they are saying, you hear what you need to hear if you are going to stay invested in the philosophy they sell. While none of them are particularly brilliant, none are dumb enough to say what they mean, and they mean, "this is what you need to believe." Instead they stay fired up about issues they fabricate and work hard to keep things being repeated on each other's shows and on all their daily reruns and updates.

Quote:
That is a lot more that what I have heard from the likes of Franken, Colmes, or Maddow.
It is a vicious circle. You don't hear what they say.....

Quote:
I think what happens is that the vast majority of people get their information from the big media outlets. They are homogenous in their coverage of political goings on.

Essentially you get the following:

Republicans or Conservatives do something that can be shown to be embarrassing it gets run over and over again.

Democrats of Liberals do something that can be shown to be embarrassing it gets a quick mention without endless running of "B" Roll footage showing the shamefule past of racism, sexism, bigotry etc.

Demorcrat OR Republican gets caught being corrupted by whatever and it is on like Donkey Kong!

The issue is the media and its absolute commandment that in order to get ahead you must show that you have destroyed the career of some person or people in power.
Each of beacons of truth and light you worship is part of a large corporate media outlet that caters to the audience it created. You sound a bit disingenuous suggesting Hannity, Beck and Limbaugh are just two bit, small time voices of truth being drowned out by big media.

And, I failed to note how Fox and Limbaugh and Coulter were shushing the media covering Monica Lewinski all day every day all week for 10 months. About a blow job. I forget, was that because it was embarrassing a Republican who might lose his job?
Quote:
It is the tall poppy syndrome. If you try to lead or do good, you are a target. The media no longer sees itself as a witness to the world. It sees itself as an advocate for the people.

The problem is what do they advocate for?
It is America, dude. They are in it, like everyone else now, for the buck. Put pointless bullshit that involves sex on the show and ratings go up. Politics and sex and they go up exponentially. Americans like that stuff, so media sells it to them. Law of supply and demand. Sadly there seems to be no end to the demand.

Jim

P.S.: sometimes you post thoughtful stuff that I just don't agree with - I understand your point of view and just don't agree. At times I disagree more than others. This post and a few others in this thread make me think you are really nothing more than an internet bot, posting random right wing propaganda. Better written and thought out in some cases, but in others, like this one, sheer superficially veneered propaganda. It makes me sad.
post #58 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 02:14 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: '98 E320 Wagon (non 4matic)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TNTRower
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
It is a vicious circle. You don't hear what they are saying, you hear what you need to hear if you are going to stay invested in the philosophy they sell. While none of them are particularly brilliant, none are dumb enough to say what they mean, and they mean, "this is what you need to believe." Instead they stay fired up about issues they fabricate and work hard to keep things being repeated on each other's shows and on all their daily reruns and updates.

It is a vicious circle. You don't hear what they say.....

Each of beacons of truth and light you worship is part of a large corporate media outlet that caters to the audience it created. You sound a bit disingenuous suggesting Hannity, Beck and Limbaugh are just two bit, small time voices of truth being drowned out by big media.

And, I failed to note how Fox and Limbaugh and Coulter were shushing the media covering Monica Lewinski all day every day all week for 10 months. About a blow job. I forget, was that because it was embarrassing a Republican who might lose his job?

It is America, dude. They are in it, like everyone else now, for the buck. Put pointless bullshit that involves sex on the show and ratings go up. Politics and sex and they go up exponentially. Americans like that stuff, so media sells it to them. Law of supply and demand. Sadly there seems to be no end to the demand.

Jim

P.S.: sometimes you post thoughtful stuff that I just don't agree with - I understand your point of view and just don't agree. At times I disagree more than others. This post and a few others in this thread make me think you are really nothing more than an internet bot, posting random right wing propaganda. Better written and thought out in some cases, but in others, like this one, sheer superficially veneered propaganda. It makes me sad.
Sorry you feel this way Mr. Smith. If you actually listened to the "Vast Right Wing Conspiracy" (as Mrs. Clinton put it) on AM Radio during the whole Lewinsky thing and were honest about it, you would have undoubtedly noticed that they were taking the whole scandal from the standpoint of the fact that President Clinton lied under oath and was charged with obstruction of justice.

Now since the Republican Senate (namely Trent Lott) did not want to deal with a "President Al Gore" coming into an election, they chose NOT to adhere to the Constitution and hold a trial after the Impeachment of President Clinton. For which I think all the Republican Senators should have been round up and publicly censured, as they had no choice and most Americans were clueless about the Constitutional provisions for Presidential Impeachment, and the Mainstream Media were all too happy to be complicit in the whole charade about how the Senate thinks that there was not enough evidence to hold a trial.

Read the constitution people. There is no choice once the President has been impeached!

Who's John Galt.

"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes" - Virgil, The Aeneid, Book 2

If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel. --Benjamin Netayahu
post #59 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 02:45 AM
BenzWorld Elitist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Sorry you feel this way Mr. Smith. If you actually listened to the "Vast Right Wing Conspiracy" (as Mrs. Clinton put it) on AM Radio during the whole Lewinsky thing and were honest about it, you would have undoubtedly noticed that they were taking the whole scandal from the standpoint of the fact that President Clinton lied under oath and was charged with obstruction of justice.

Now since the Republican Senate (namely Trent Lott) did not want to deal with a "President Al Gore" coming into an election, they chose NOT to adhere to the Constitution and hold a trial after the Impeachment of President Clinton. For which I think all the Republican Senators should have been round up and publicly censured, as they had no choice and most Americans were clueless about the Constitutional provisions for Presidential Impeachment, and the Mainstream Media were all too happy to be complicit in the whole charade about how the Senate thinks that there was not enough evidence to hold a trial.

Read the constitution people. There is no choice once the President has been impeached!

Why are you always blabbering on like this about "facts" which take all of 10 seconds to confirm or refute? The Impeachment trial in the U.S. Senate did happen, and resulted in Clinton's acquittal. If you didn't know, all you had to do is look it up. I believe the Internet is handy for that. It's around here somewhere.

The Senate trial commenced on January 7, 1999 and the Senate voted on the Articles of Impeachment on February 12, with a two-thirds majority, or 67 Senators, required to convict. On Article I (perjury) the President was found not guilty 55-45. On Article II, obstruction of justice, the vote was 50-50, with all Democrats and five Republicans voting to acquit. So it wasn't even close. But yes, it did happen.

Clinton Impeachment
Government Documents in the News/Impeachment of William Jefferson Clinton
The Impeachment Trial of President William Jefferson Clinton

etc etc etc
post #60 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 05:22 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:

The vast right wing conspiracy spent millions of tax payer dollars on the investigation of the Whitewater accusations and after two special prosecutors came up with a sex scandal that had nothing to do with Whitewater. NO Whitewater charges. A presidential blow job. Was the right wing talk radio noting there was no Whitewater case and the tax payer was being raped by GOP partisan witch hunting? I don't recall. I don't think you do either. You are a tool and are willing to say whatever sounds good for your outlook. Looking to run for public office with those skills?

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in