LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Photo Radar Worker Shot

Apparently the cameras are on all the time and they recorded the shooter. Driving a Suburban, white hair and moustache, '60's.

Photo radar worker shot, investigation snarls 101
Arizona Trib East Valley

April 19, 2009 - 10:14PM

A worker inside a photo radar van was shot Sunday night on the Loop 101 freeway in north Phoenix, according to the Department of Public Safety.

The worker, a contract employe, apparenlty was shot multiple times about 8:30 p.m., near the 7th Avenue exit, DPS said.

The victim was transported to John C. Lincoln Hospital with life-threatening injuries, according to KNXV-TV.

The Loop 101 was shut down in both directions between 7th Avenue and Cave Creek Road while the shooting was being investigated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Suburban: Republican
white hair: Old
moustache: Gay

I didn't know the 101 had cameras way out there. I thought it was only Scottsdale between Shea and Scottsdale Rd. Shows ya what I know...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
The mobile guys are everywhere. I think you are referring to the fixed ones. I thought the new Gov. was going to get them removed. I have a friend who likes to speed past them with his head hidden by the sun visor. He has four tickets taped to his fridge. The key is not responding to the mailed ticket as state law requires you to be served in person. Maybe when he hits a magic number they will pay him a visit.
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 09:29 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Yes I was. And I'm sure they will pay him a visit. Someone came knocking on my door about a photo radar ticket I had received a few years back.

The fixed cameras on the 101 have been off for a long time, and the latest word I've heard is that they will be removed in several months. Apparently, they are required to leave them there for some small time yet, per contract.

Driving in Scottsdale in simple once you resign yourself to never exceeding the speed limit by more than 10mph.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 09:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 97SL500R129, 01ML320W163, 94E320W124 & 93500EW124
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuantle View Post
Th I have a friend who likes to speed past them with his head hidden by the sun visor. He has four tickets taped to his fridge. The key is not responding to the mailed ticket as state law requires you to be served in person. Maybe when he hits a magic number they will pay him a visit.
Even if the drivers face was hidden or unrecognizable, the ticket will be sent to to the registered owner of the vehicle. (Just like parking ticket). If the tickets are not paid, it will be tacked on the registration cost plus penalty.

I was caught beating a red light in Riverside, CA. The picture looks like a silhouette with unrecognizable features. They sent the ticket to my wife because I was driving her car which was registered under her name. She called DMV contesting the ticket. They said it is her responsibility to pay for the ticket (and collect it from who ever was driving) because the vehicle is under her name.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
I have the correct size tires on my R129 but according to the radar signs on surface streets I am reading 10% high.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edcarls View Post
Even if the drivers face was hidden or unrecognizable, the ticket will be sent to to the registered owner of the vehicle. (Just like parking ticket). If the tickets are not paid, it will be tacked on the registration cost plus penalty.

I was caught beating a red light in Riverside, CA. The picture looks like a silhouette with unrecognizable features. They sent the ticket to my wife because I was driving her car which was registered under her name. She called DMV contesting the ticket. They said it is her responsibility to pay for the ticket (and collect it from who ever was driving) because the vehicle is under her name.
Not sure if they are that nasty about it in AZ.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 12:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
When they put the fixed ones in Kentucky a bit back, the last ticket they tried to issue was to something coming act them at supersonic speed. They got too expensive to replace.

What happened to the Wild, Wild West?

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
What happened to the Wild, Wild West?
It got cancelled.

Phoenix metro is now a city of 4 million people and is considered LA West. I doubt it would happen in GS's hood as it is quite well civilized wheras I live in BF Egypt and the critters outnumber the people.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

It's still here, as this story bears testament too. We have Scottsdale (think overblown dude ranch) surrounded.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in