American Atheists 09 Atl. GA - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 12:13 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuantle View Post
Let's address the Abraham part.

He is not God. He is the father of Judaism through his son Issac. The son Abraham had his son Ishmael with his concubine and Islam claims their lineage through him.

Now Jesus.
Jesus is God. God is the same now as he ever was and will never change. He is not vengeful to man. He is a loving God and that is shown throughout the Bible.

Finally NT/OT
There came a point 2k years ago that God felt man could hold more without abandoning the lessons of the OT. Aardvark describes the coming of Jesus well. Muslims believe there was another turn several hundred years later. Mormons think Joe Smith with his magic crystal signaled the modern day turn. Dope believes that, well, he thinks he is his own god.

The Bible, Stu? Who wrote the Bible and if you could let me know who worte the Koran, I want to know where he the idea for that 4 wives thing.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
I did not write "the god Abraham", I wrote "the god of Abraham". I understand the lineage.

The OT and NT describe gods as different as day and night. Rationalize it away all you want, that is the simple truth of it. Since no one who knew Jesus, wrote of Jesus, the NT is essentially a bunch of hand-me-down mumbo-jumbo, but the message I see conveyed is of a young Jewish rabbi encouraging folks to reject the spiteful, jealous god of the OT in favor of a new loving, caring god. Given that he was a rabbi, this was an extremely difficult and dangerous task to undertake. Nowhere in the NT does Jesus claim to be anything other than a mortal man, and of course we all know that the pagan Romans threw the virgin birth in to add a little spice to an otherwise lackluster religion.

No need to argue the point, I realize this view topples the very foundations of your faith, and is thus heretical.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #33 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 12:28 PM
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
I did not write "the god Abraham", I wrote "the god of Abraham". I understand the lineage.

The OT and NT describe gods as different as day and night. Rationalize it away all you want, that is the simple truth of it. Since no one who knew Jesus, wrote of Jesus, the NT is essentially a bunch of hand-me-down mumbo-jumbo, but the message I see conveyed is of a young Jewish rabbi encouraging folks to reject the spiteful, jealous god of the OT in favor of a new loving, caring god. Given that he was a rabbi, this was an extremely difficult and dangerous task to undertake. Nowhere in the NT does Jesus claim to be anything other than a mortal man, and of course we all know that the pagan Romans threw the virgin birth in to add a little spice to an otherwise lackluster religion.

No need to argue the point, I realize this view topples the very foundations of your faith, and is thus heretical.
You must admit, we got a lot of imagination
post #34 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 12:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
The Bible, Stu? Who wrote the Bible and if you could let me know who worte the Koran, I want to know where he the idea for that 4 wives thing.........
Pick up a "study Bible" preferably a NIV published by Zondervan and look at the beginning of each book. There will be a non-biblical reference section describing the book and either the actual author or the who it is generally attributed to. The Bible is not the actual word of God, rather it is the inspired word of God written by man.

As I understand, the Koran is the actual word of Allah spoken to Mohammed and transcribed by someone else since he could not write. I have no idea where the multi wifey thing comes from. Don't you have enough to handle with just one? I know I do. If your version of Islam doesn't allow for polygamy then you should become a Morman and form your own cult. Lotsa wives and your own planet to boot! Sex for eternity and you send your little space kiddies down to populate your planet. Call it planet Expat!

I saw a great comic that I wish I had kept titled "Why there are no female polygamists". Five guys sitting on a couch drinking beer and watching the game and the wife says "Five of you and no one took out the garbage?". I'd appreciate it if someone can dig it up on the net.
post #35 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 12:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:

Sorry, F'd up, blew it, ignore I said it.
post #36 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 12:35 PM
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
post #37 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 12:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:

Once again, not even close. So many fallacies in your statement.
post #38 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Let's address the Abraham part.

He is not God. He is the father of Judaism through his son Issac. The son Abraham had his son Ishmael with his concubine and Islam claims their lineage through him.

Now Jesus.
Jesus is God. God is the same now as he ever was and will never change. He is not vengeful to man. He is a loving God and that is shown throughout the Bible.

Finally NT/OT
There came a point 2k years ago that God felt man could hold more without abandoning the lessons of the OT. Aardvark describes the coming of Jesus well. Muslims believe there was another turn several hundred years later. Mormons think Joe Smith with his magic crystal signaled the modern day turn. Dope believes that, well, he thinks he is his own god.
Insofar that all religion and their attendant gods are inventions of mankind, this is probably the most sensible thing you have posted for months.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Seneca
post #39 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Sorry, F'd up, blew it, ignore I said it.
Sorry, this is the most sensible thing you have posted in months.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Seneca
post #40 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
You must admit, we got a lot of imagination
Well, they probably stole it from the Egyptians (Horus). What the heck, if you're going to make up a story, may as well make it a really good one.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in