BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: '98 E320 Wagon (non 4matic)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TNTRower
(Thread Starter)
And Murtha yet again

I just love how Murtha sticks it in the country's eye every time.

Murtha's Earmarks Keep Airport Aloft

Who's John Galt.

"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes" - Virgil, The Aeneid, Book 2

If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel. --Benjamin Netayahu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 07:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Murtha Furkha
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 09:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Poster boy for the Looney Left.
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 10:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Damn that Rightwing Washington Post for going after yet another...wait, what Post. But the kids on the right say they are a liberal newspaper. How could this be?

But how about good ol Hal Rogers' $466M for Southeast Kentucky. And frankly, having driven through in the past month, I couldn't tell you where $466 were spend, much less the extra six ZEROS. With 10+% unemployment for years and crumbling infrastructure, the millions must be going to someone.

Quote:
Rogers and U.S. Rep. John Murtha, D-Pa., who like his Kentucky counterpart hails from an economically strapped region struggling to bring in new industry, stand out as prime examples of this practice, said William Allison, senior fellow at the Sunlight Foundation, a non-profit group that advocates for transparency in government.
New light shed on Rogers' earmarks - Latest News - Kentucky.com

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 10:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bear, please don't support Murtha. He's not worth it. He will go the way of Teddy K. Just a sideshow.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 11:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuantle View Post
Bear, please don't support Murtha. He's not worth it. He will go the way of Teddy K. Just a sideshow.
I'm not, and I haven't. He is old school Politician, no matter the party.

His views on Iraq and Haditha have made him a lightning rod that he didn't always deserve but overall, I don't his spending earmarks. They have seemed for years to be disproportional.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
I'm not, and I haven't. He is old school Politician, no matter the party.

His views on Iraq and Haditha have made him a lightning rod that he didn't always deserve but overall, I don't his spending earmarks. They have seemed for years to be disproportional.
Yes indeed and he should be run out for his comments about Haditha in particular.

I have yet to meet a single Marine, former or current, who agrees with what he did. They may have agreed with the sentiment of get out of Iraq etc. but to a person each one has said that Murtha was wrong for branding the Marines as cold blooded murderers. On top of that doing so in a manner that indicated that the information came from the Commandant himself.

Now throw in his earmarks and ABSCAM ties and I can see how people re-elected him.

Who's John Galt.

If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel. --Benjamin Netayahu
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 12:12 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRower View Post
Yes indeed and he should be run out for his comments about Haditha in particular.

I have yet to meet a single Marine, former or current, who agrees with what he did. They may have agreed with the sentiment of get out of Iraq etc. but to a person each one has said that Murtha was wrong for branding the Marines as cold blooded murderers. On top of that doing so in a manner that indicated that the information came from the Commandant himself.

Now throw in his earmarks and ABSCAM ties and I can see how people re-elected him.
My memory of the Haditha Report suggests that the information that he provided was essentially correct. The official report showed that officers lied to investigators and covered up information on the event.

I have been in firefights so I fully understand how things can go upsidedown so I am not in anyway looking at the Marine issue other that what I have seen in the official report. But to suggest that Murtha, or anyone else did wrong by shining a spotlight on the events is just wrong. We have to abide by rules of engagement 100% of the time. It is one of the things that separates Americans from many other militaries in the world. And when we don't, that has to be addressed harshly, whether Marines or Zoomies or even swabbies, if they ever put their ass in a firefight [SEALs excepted]

McBear,
Kentucky

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
My memory of the Haditha Report suggests that the information that he provided was essentially correct. The official report showed that officers lied to investigators and covered up information on the event.

I have been in firefights so I fully understand how things can go upsidedown so I am not in anyway looking at the Marine issue other that what I have seen in the official report. But to suggest that Murtha, or anyone else did wrong by shining a spotlight on the events is just wrong. We have to abide by rules of engagement 100% of the time. It is one of the things that separates Americans from many other militaries in the world. And when we don't, that has to be addressed harshly, whether Marines or Zoomies or even swabbies, if they ever put their ass in a firefight [SEALs excepted]
And this is why the investigatory process is so important. People going off half cocked and trying to make points always hurts somebody.

From Wikipedia:

Charges dropped

On April 17, 2007, the Marine Corps dropped all charges against Sgt. Sanick P. De la Cruz in exchange for his testimony. Seven other Marines involved in the incident have also been granted immunity.[48]

On August 9, 2007, all charges against Lance Cpl. Justin Sharratt and Capt. Randy Stone were dropped.[35] On October 19th, Lance Cpl. Justin Sharratt's commanding officer decided the charges should be lowered to involuntary manslaughter, reckless endangerment and aggravated assault.[10]

On September 18, 2007, all charges against Captain Lucas McConnell were dropped in exchange for immunity and his cooperation with the investigation.[49]

On March 28, 2008, all charges against LCpl. Stephen Tatum were dropped.[50]

On June 17, 2008, all charges against Lt. Col. Jeffrey Chessani were dismissed by the military judge citing unlawful command influence.[12] The Marine Corps has appealed that ruling.

Now we see that all the charges have been dropped except against Wuterich. A Far cry from Murtha's charges of:

Quote:
"Our troops overreacted because of the pressure on them, and they killed innocent civilians in cold blood."
All of this done at a press conference to mark the six month anniversary of his initial call for "redeployment" of US forces in Iraq.

That is what sickens me the most. He threw good men under the bus and ruined careers so that he could make political points.

Who's John Galt.

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 12:47 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRower View Post
And this is why the investigatory process is so important. People going off half cocked and trying to make points always hurts somebody.

From Wikipedia:

Charges dropped

On April 17, 2007, the Marine Corps dropped all charges against Sgt. Sanick P. De la Cruz in exchange for his testimony. Seven other Marines involved in the incident have also been granted immunity.[48]

On August 9, 2007, all charges against Lance Cpl. Justin Sharratt and Capt. Randy Stone were dropped.[35] On October 19th, Lance Cpl. Justin Sharratt's commanding officer decided the charges should be lowered to involuntary manslaughter, reckless endangerment and aggravated assault.[10]

On September 18, 2007, all charges against Captain Lucas McConnell were dropped in exchange for immunity and his cooperation with the investigation.[49]

On March 28, 2008, all charges against LCpl. Stephen Tatum were dropped.[50]

On June 17, 2008, all charges against Lt. Col. Jeffrey Chessani were dismissed by the military judge citing unlawful command influence.[12] The Marine Corps has appealed that ruling.

Now we see that all the charges have been dropped except against Wuterich. A Far cry from Murtha's charges of:

All of this done at a press conference to mark the six month anniversary of his initial call for "redeployment" of US forces in Iraq.

That is what sickens me the most. He threw good men under the bus and ruined careers so that he could make political points.
Your source sends a very mixed message. It does NOT suggest in the least that these Marines did nothing wrong. It says that charges were dropped because they were granted immunity in exchange for their testimony. I see nothing in Wiki or the original report to suggest innocence.

As for the investigative process, remember, Murtha got his initial information during a briefing from a Marine in a Defense subcommittee of the House Appropriations Committee in which he is a ranking member. Also remember Murtha is also a retired Marine with Viet Nam experience. So he is not just somebody from out in Left field.

Again, I only go by the report I read. It is consistent, as is your wiki information with what he said. He was blunt about it but I would expect that from a retired Marine Colonel.

McBear,
Kentucky

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in