LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 06:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
He was with DARPA. That is its own military branch.
Oh crap, DARPA? What is his position with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 06:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quoted: 744 Post(s)
We'll see if the lawsuit filed against him sticks in court.

© All photographs and likenesses of Multipurpose are protected under copyright
law. Any use of photographs in whole or in part is strictly prohibited
unless authorization is granted in writing by copyright holder. All rights
reserved.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 07:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuantle View Post
Oh crap, DARPA? What is his position with them.
Read post 14. He was at DARPA in space acquisition, tracking, and pointing programs. Didn't stay long but has been in DoD projects all his career from the looks of his CV. I looked to see if I bumped into him at Edwards too. HA!

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: '98 E320 Wagon (non 4matic)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TNTRower
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
He was with DARPA. That is its own military branch.

What I was suggesting was that the SecNavy was in a position to understand the full nature of Haditha [something we will never know] and knows that Murtha stuck his neck out to do the right thing.
Afterall, A 25-30 year Marine Colonel would tend to be pretty pissed off at folks that messed up the Marine reputation by not following rules. He was in an awkward position.

As you say...maybe.
Yep and of course he was rewarded for calling Marines Cold Blooded Murderers because he knew the info that we did not, and yet the charges have been dropped against all the Marines, save one. The prosecutors have used several of the other Marines as prosecutorial witnesses, and they still don't have a case strong enough to bring to trial after 4 years!

Yep, omniscient Sec Nav and his sidekick Congress Jack.

Who's John Galt.

"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes" - Virgil, The Aeneid, Book 2

If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel. --Benjamin Netayahu
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 07:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multipurpose View Post
We'll see if the lawsuit filed against him sticks in court.
It won't. He has protected speech as a Congressman by the Speech and Debate Clause.

It was ruled last week.

Appellate Court Throws Out Murtha Defamation Lawsuit On Immunity Grounds JONATHAN TURLEY

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 07:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRower View Post
Yep and of course he was rewarded for calling Marines Cold Blooded Murderers because he knew the info that we did not, and yet the charges have been dropped against all the Marines, save one. The prosecutors have used several of the other Marines as prosecutorial witnesses, and they still don't have a case strong enough to bring to trial after 4 years!

Yep, omniscient Sec Nav and his sidekick Congress Jack.
One of the things I learned when serving on three investigatory boards while in the Air Force, they don't care about time. They care about correct. So don't assume that their case is either strong or weak based on time to trial.

Also, you keep suggesting that the charges have been dropped against the other Marines as if they did nothing, as opposed to them having charges dropped because they agreed to trade testimony and information for having charges dropped. Again, you assume. Historically investigatory boards will cut deals with enlisted men, unless their crime is outrageous in order to focus on their officers who were responsible for their actions.

And I too would like to see you at a function with Murtha telling him what it is. I am just not sure the outcome would be as you think and hope and aspire.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 07:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Not over yet!

"Murtha still faces a lawsuit by Lance Corporal Justin Sharratt who has charged him with defamation and the denial of both due process and the right to a fair trial."

"Another Marine involved in the Haditha fighting, Justin Sharratt, has filed a slander lawsuit against Murtha in Johnstown, Pa. Although the judge in that case may consider Tuesday's decision and give it weight, it is not binding on that court since it's in a different appeals court circuit."

© All photographs and likenesses of Multipurpose are protected under copyright
law. Any use of photographs in whole or in part is strictly prohibited
unless authorization is granted in writing by copyright holder. All rights
reserved.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: '98 E320 Wagon (non 4matic)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TNTRower
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
One of the things I learned when serving on three investigatory boards while in the Air Force, they don't care about time. They care about correct. So don't assume that their case is either strong or weak based on time to trial.

Also, you keep suggesting that the charges have been dropped against the other Marines as if they did nothing, as opposed to them having charges dropped because they agreed to trade testimony and information for having charges dropped. Again, you assume. Historically investigatory boards will cut deals with enlisted men, unless their crime is outrageous in order to focus on their officers who were responsible for their actions.

And I too would like to see you at a function with Murtha telling him what it is. I am just not sure the outcome would be as you think and hope and aspire.
Funny though, they cut deals with the Officers to concentrate on the Enlisted Marine.

As for your characterization of my points about the charges being dropped are completely off base. I have always made the point to say that the charges were dropped so that the prosecutors could have their testimony.

Now they are getting very close to the violating Article 10 of the UCMJ with regard to a speedy trial. Article 10 is pretty interesting. Article 10 provides a more exacting speedy trial standard than the Sixth Amendment; the standard under Article 10 for assessing the government’s actions is not constant motion, but reasonable diligence in bringing the charges to trial.

My guess is that we will be seeing something soon.

Oh I would probably be easily dismissed by him. He has shown a proclivity for that in the past.

Who's John Galt.

"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes" - Virgil, The Aeneid, Book 2

If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel. --Benjamin Netayahu
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 08:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multipurpose View Post
Not over yet!

"Murtha still faces a lawsuit by Lance Corporal Justin Sharratt who has charged him with defamation and the denial of both due process and the right to a fair trial."

"Another Marine involved in the Haditha fighting, Justin Sharratt, has filed a slander lawsuit against Murtha in Johnstown, Pa. Although the judge in that case may consider Tuesday's decision and give it weight, it is not binding on that court since it's in a different appeals court circuit."
Same ruling will apply.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 08:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRower View Post
Funny though, they cut deals with the Officers to concentrate on the Enlisted Marine.

As for your characterization of my points about the charges being dropped are completely off base. I have always made the point to say that the charges were dropped so that the prosecutors could have their testimony.

Now they are getting very close to the violating Article 10 of the UCMJ with regard to a speedy trial. Article 10 is pretty interesting. Article 10 provides a more exacting speedy trial standard than the Sixth Amendment; the standard under Article 10 for assessing the government’s actions is not constant motion, but reasonable diligence in bringing the charges to trial.

My guess is that we will be seeing something soon.

Oh I would probably be easily dismissed by him. He has shown a proclivity for that in the past.
I agree on the UCMJ. I agree it will wrap soon.

If they are focusing on one enlisted Marine, I assume he was in charge of the platoon. I find that problematic in that his command structure bears responsibility for command and control of rules of engagement.

It makes me think there is something else there.

McBear,
Kentucky

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in