post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: '98 E320 Wagon (non 4matic)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TNTRower
(Thread Starter)
AG will not surrender on the rule of Law...duh!

Holder: No surrender on rule of law - Josh Gerstein - POLITICO.com

Quote:
Despite his assertion that there is “simply…no tension” in upholding civil liberties while fighting terrorism, the nation’s top lawman conceded that he faces a perplexing series of problems implementing Obama’s order to close the Guantanamo Bay prison and find ways to deal with the roughly 240 men still held there. “It is indisputably the most daunting challenge I face as attorney general,” he said.
I love that one. Just put them in the American court system! Why not? Habeas corpus! It's been decide by the supreme court! Hop to it now. Ricky tick! Poste haste and all that.

Why isn't Gitmo closed down already? This blight, this sore, this weeping pustule on America's reputation?

Who's John Galt.

"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes" - Virgil, The Aeneid, Book 2

If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel. --Benjamin Netayahu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 04:50 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I say ship to the thriving city of Atlanta, have their trials there and when they are set free then let them blend in to the Atlanta society and integrate with the local population and become prosperous citizens of the community.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
I say ship to the thriving city of Atlanta, have their trials there and when they are set free then let them blend in to the Atlanta society and integrate with the local population and become prosperous citizens of the community.
I am sure there are some in the Metro Atlanta area that would think that is a great idea. Those on the ultra left and those who fuel McBear and FTL's wet dreams about right wing extremists.

Who's John Galt.

If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel. --Benjamin Netayahu
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 05:18 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRower View Post
I am sure there are some in the Metro Atlanta area that would think that is a great idea. Those on the ultra left and those who fuel McBear and FTL's wet dreams about right wing extremists.

Well then we are all in agreement, send them the addresses of some of your family, that they can stay with and get a helping hand to help these poor men start over and get on their feet again........
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 11:45 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Holder: No surrender on rule of law - Josh Gerstein - POLITICO.com

I love that one. Just put them in the American court system! Why not? Habeas corpus! It's been decide by the supreme court! Hop to it now. Ricky tick! Poste haste and all that.

Why isn't Gitmo closed down already? This blight, this sore, this weeping pustule on America's reputation?
I believe the answers lie in the way many of the Executive Orders were written and post 9/11 laws were written. As those become unwound, that will happen. Unwinding is never simple.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 12:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Every man in there has the right of habeus corpus, in fact I think every human on the planet does, it is a natural right. They belong in the court system, so we can sort them out. TNT would rather let innocent men rot.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 03:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: w204 (C350ELE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove View Post
Every man in there has the right of habeus corpus, in fact I think every human on the planet does, it is a natural right. They belong in the court system, so we can sort them out. TNT would rather let innocent men rot.
In this case there should be a Writ of Habeas Corpus Delicti.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove View Post
Yep innocent men. Enemy combatants captured on the field of battle. Everyone of them is innocent. Let them go! If they are innocent why doesn't Obama just release them?

Care to explain that FTL?

Who's John Galt.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 01:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Yep innocent men. Enemy combatants captured on the field of battle. Everyone of them is innocent. Let them go! If they are innocent why doesn't Obama just release them?

Care to explain that FTL?
I understand at least part of the problem is what was defined as "field of battle". Just being in "theater of operation" is not the same thing, yet somehow some of them were scooped up in that net. Strange that you define them as Enemy Combatants captured ON THE FIELD OF BATTLE yet that has always been defined as a Prisoner of WAR, both by US and international standards. Bush tried to change the rules.

Now you see why ignoring the rules of law [both international and US] in the past is such a problem. It takes time to unwind the problem and while, for those who are truly prisoners of war, it is less of an issue but for those that are not, they are unduly imprisoned.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
I understand at least part of the problem is what was defined as "field of battle". Just being in "theater of operation" is not the same thing, yet somehow some of them were scooped up in that net. Strange that you define them as Enemy Combatants captured ON THE FIELD OF BATTLE yet that has always been defined as a Prisoner of WAR, both by US and international standards. Bush tried to change the rules.

Now you see why ignoring the rules of law [both international and US] in the past is such a problem. It takes time to unwind the problem and while, for those who are truly prisoners of war, it is less of an issue but for those that are not, they are unduly imprisoned.
If this is the case then Obama can just release them all! No worries right? Just let them out and bring them back to where they were picked up! These folks are just pawns. Let them go! What is the possible harm in that right?

I mean Obama was elected because he was going to change all this. Gitmo is bad, nay it is evil! They are just holding innocent people. So why hasn't he just let them go? It is an illegal war, these people were detained illegally and they should be let go immediately!

So why isn't it happening?

Who's John Galt.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in