Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Sikhism in US

heh, heh......

Sikhism in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

but.......

Sikh Warriors Denied Entry into US Army
Thursday April 9, 2009

The recruiters come knocking at the door with promises of signing bonuses and advocating, "Join the Army see the World," and receive a GI loan for college and buying a home. Hopes on both sides turn to disappointment for all US armed forces reject the Sikh identity of uncut hair and beard.

Sikhs have a long military history. Many Sikhs from the Panjab have blood lines tracing back to the warriors who resisted Alexander the Great ultimately putting an end to his conquest. Guru Hargobind, the 6th spiritual master of Sikhism mustered the first Sikh army after his father Guru Arjan Dev became the first Sikh martyr. In April of 1699 (Nankshahi Calendar), known in present times as Vaisakhi Day, Guru Gobind Singh formalized the Sikh religion and established the order of Khalsa, creating the concept of the Sant- Saphai, meaning saint- soldier, putting into action a spiritual warrior who physically defends the oppressed while practicing self mastery. Sikhs have maintained their spiritual identity of uncut hair through the centuries, fearlessly serving in the military units of many armed forces around the world.

In 1958, on July 26th, Harry Truman, the US President, promised equality of opportunity for everyone serving in the US armed forces. The promise has not been kept in the past several decades. The Sikh Coalition is taking up the cause and launching a campaign on Vaisakhi Day, April 14th, 2009, to end the ban on Sikhs joining the US military.
Please show your support for equal opportunity in US Armed Forces and sign a petition on behalf of two US Army recruits, Captain Kamaljit Singh Kalsi and Second Lieutenant Tejdeep Singh Rattan, who are being forced to choose between their religious identity and service to their country. Both have maintained their Sikh identity while enrolled in an Army program which exchanges medical scholarships for military service and are discovering, only after four years, that they have been given unreliable information. Assurances made by recruiters that keeping their hair intact would be no problem are turning out to be false.

heh, heh..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 03:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
They are joining the US Military. The US Military is not joining them. Conform or stay home.

Note: I have two very good Sikh friends here at work. They understand and agree.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: Bandwidth
(Thread Starter)
heh, heh.....

U.S. Army asked to respect Sikh beliefs
Published: April 16, 2009 at 1:57 PM

WASHINGTON, April 16 (UPI) -- The U.S. Army should respect the beliefs of two new Sikh recruits and not make them cut their beards and hair, a Sikh group says.

The national civil rights group, Sikh Coalition, is supporting U.S. Army Capt. Kamaljit Singh Kalsi, a doctor, and 2nd Lt. Tejdeep Singh Rattan, a dentist, in the recruits' attempt to keep their beards, long hair and turbans, CNN said Thursday.

Both men are practicing members of the Sikh faith and are attempting to avoid violating their beliefs when they report for active duty in July.

"It doesn't make sense to me, especially in these hard times," Kalsi said in reference to the Army's demands. "The military is hurting for professionals. They need doctors, they need nurses."

Sikh Coalition head Amardeep Singh told CNN the Army's requests represent a prevailing discrimination against Sikhs that he feels has been present in U.S. society since the events of Sept. 11, 2001.

"The perception is still there," Singh said of society's view of traditionalist Sikhs as possible terrorists. "We're sort of still feeling it."

heh, heh.........
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 03:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We as a country do seem to respect all religions, as long as they are conveniently in a majority and are based on WESTERN religions [hint: this usually means WHITE PEOPLE].

The US has always been a melting pot. That has been the nature and pride of this country since we were founded. Now that some of the cultures that are part of that melting pot are becoming large enough to have a voice, their interests will become more vocal...as well they should.

At some point we, as a country have to lose this "my way or the highway" attitude. It is a recipe for failure. By 2042 Caucasians in this country will be a minority. It seems like the smart thing to do would be to lay the ground work for future generations of Caucasians by ceasing to be so arrogant. That won't work so well in the minority and I would imagine the majority will remember how they have been treated. I know I would.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: Bandwidth
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
We as a country do seem to respect all religions, as long as they are conveniently in a majority and are based on WESTERN religions [hint: this usually means WHITE PEOPLE].

The US has always been a melting pot. That has been the nature and pride of this country since we were founded. Now that some of the cultures that are part of that melting pot are becoming large enough to have a voice, their interests will become more vocal...as well they should.

At some point we, as a country have to lose this "my way or the highway" attitude. It is a recipe for failure. By 2042 Caucasians in this country will be a minority. It seems like the smart thing to do would be to lay the ground work for future generations of Caucasians by ceasing to be so arrogant. That won't work so well in the minority and I would imagine the majority will remember how they have been treated. I know I would.
heh, heh........a very interesting statement! heh, heh.......the world would be such a nice place if only a few more shared your views! heh, heh......
Attached Images

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 03:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
We have quite a large Sikh community in Canada, especially in the suburb of Toronto that I live in. The majority of the ones I've known have been good and generous neighbors and members of the community.

There have been a couple of court decisions in the past decade or so regarding the wearing of the turban, both for and against the Sikhs petitioning the courts. In one, the RCMP was required by our courts to allow Sikhs to replace the traditional brown Stetson hat in the dress red uniform with a turban of the same colour. In another, a Sikh motorcycle driver was ticketed for not wearing a mandatory-by-law helmet, as it was impossible to wear over his turban. The courts denied his challenge as it was considered a safety issue as opposed to a freedom of religious expression issue.

I happen to think the courts got both decisions correct.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 03:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Forget it Bear. We are talking about the Military and they are largely exempt from the PC guilt BS that the public likes to place on themselves. It has nothing to do with predjudice and everything to do with conformity.

Whine all you want. Moot point.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 04:00 PM
It Is What It Is, Dude

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1978 107.024 RIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Rigidity for the sake of rigidity.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 04:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlomon View Post
In another, a Sikh motorcycle driver was ticketed for not wearing a mandatory-by-law helmet, as it was impossible to wear over his turban.
My Sikh colleague and I toyed with the idea of making a kevlar insert for a prewrapped turban and get it DOT approved.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 04:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by isthisdave View Post
Rigidity for the sake of rigidity.
Rules keep soldiers alive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in