Before Jakpat posts it...! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
 
Digmenow's Avatar
 
Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 36,513
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1276 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Before Jakpat posts it...!



Colo. rejects 'ILVTOFU' license plate

DENVER, April 8 (UPI) -- The Colorado Department of Revenue rejected a woman's request for a license plate professing her love of tofu over concerns that it could be seen as obscene.

Officials said Kelley Coffman-Lee's request for a personalized plate with the phrase "ILVTOFU" was rejected due to concerns that it could be misread as "I-LV-TO-F-U," KMGH-TV, Denver, reported Wednesday.

Coffman-Lee said she has been a vegetarian for 13 years and a vegan for the past four.

"I love tofu; it doesn't mean anything bad," Coffman-Lee said of her license plate request. "I'm very expressive, I'm anti-fur, anti-rodeo, anti-circus when they come to Denver and I thought here's a chance to be positive and say I love something."

"Tofu is a word, I haven't said anything bad. I think it's crazy they denied it," she said. "It's not a dirty, evil food. It's very wholesome."

Mark Couch, spokesman for Colorado Department of Motor Vehicles, defended the decision to reject the plate.

"We have nothing bad to say about (Coffman-Lee's) love of tofu," he said. "We're concerned about others who may misread the plate."

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Digmenow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 05:27 AM
~BANNED~
 
Jakarta Expat's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Posts: 17,697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow View Post


Colo. rejects 'ILVTOFU' license plate

DENVER, April 8 (UPI) -- The Colorado Department of Revenue rejected a woman's request for a license plate professing her love of tofu over concerns that it could be seen as obscene.

Officials said Kelley Coffman-Lee's request for a personalized plate with the phrase "ILVTOFU" was rejected due to concerns that it could be misread as "I-LV-TO-F-U," KMGH-TV, Denver, reported Wednesday.

Coffman-Lee said she has been a vegetarian for 13 years and a vegan for the past four.

"I love tofu; it doesn't mean anything bad," Coffman-Lee said of her license plate request. "I'm very expressive, I'm anti-fur, anti-rodeo, anti-circus when they come to Denver and I thought here's a chance to be positive and say I love something."

"Tofu is a word, I haven't said anything bad. I think it's crazy they denied it," she said. "It's not a dirty, evil food. It's very wholesome."

Mark Couch, spokesman for Colorado Department of Motor Vehicles, defended the decision to reject the plate.

"We have nothing bad to say about (Coffman-Lee's) love of tofu," he said. "We're concerned about others who may misread the plate."

No.1. I feel robbed..........

No. 2. I would have at least provided a picture of this woman involved so all can judge if she was truthful in exactly what message she was trying to express.
Jakarta Expat is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 06:05 AM
~BANNED~
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Posts: 41,649
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
It is hard to read this with early morning vision.
Shane is offline  
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 08:17 AM
DP
Moderator
 
DP's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Location: Chesapeak Bay
Posts: 64,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
It is hard to read this with early morning vision.
next time don't let the "milk" dry up overnight on your face
DP is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Moderately subtle
 
edfreeman's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
Posts: 8,519
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
next time don't let the "milk" dry up overnight on your face
Exquisite . . .

edfreeman is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 06:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Check Codes's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Location: John 15:18-19
Posts: 31,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
She's too whiny anyway.

I bet they'd have accepted "LV-TOFU"

I can see advertising the obscene. But why in the world would you want to advertise your love of tofu?????
Check Codes is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 06:24 PM
slightly creased
 
420 SE's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 1988 420 SE; 2015 ML 400
Location: Gold Coast, QLD, AUS & Doha, Qatar
Posts: 16,177
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs210 View Post
She's too whiny anyway.

I bet they'd have accepted "LV-TOFU"

I can see advertising the obscene. But why in the world would you want to advertise your love of tofu?????
she's a vegan - from Colorado, I can't believe you asked the question....

Ross

OzBenz

beware of fundamentalists

420 SE is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 06:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yet Kentucky allowed me to have SNAFU for a five years.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 06:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Check Codes's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Location: John 15:18-19
Posts: 31,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420 SE View Post
she's a vegan - from Colorado, I can't believe you asked the question....
I used to live in CO, love the place. Nothing wrong with being vegan either, but why not "LVVEGGIS" or something like that? Tofu, gak.

(FWIW, my plate is "CO-RULZ")
Check Codes is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    Posts only here, please. deathrattle Off-Topic 55 12-12-2007 01:13 AM
    How Many Posts smack R/C107 SL/SLC Class 36 11-21-2006 07:07 PM
    OT: Who's had the most posts ? BlueBenz R170 SLK-Class 15 02-03-2005 03:19 PM
    Posts malibuite Benzworld Site issues forum 0 01-02-2005 02:41 PM
    Is it just me or do new posts just pop out of no where and are in between older posts?? its wierd ImportTunerTyp R170 SLK-Class 2 11-15-2002 09:48 AM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome