LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 152 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Apologizing for America

Alright, that's it. What little respect I had for this despicable little man is now gone. Whatever damage GW did in the EU has now been finished off by The Big Zero. We are now officially the fire hydrant of the dogs of europe (note small e).

Yeah, Mona is a conservative. Facts are facts. Read it before you whine.

Apologizing for America
Mona Charen
Tuesday, April 07, 2009

One of President Obama's first official acts was to grant an interview to Al Arabiya, the Arabic language network that broadcasts worldwide. It signified, aides explained, the new page that Obama meant to turn in relations with the Arab and Muslim worlds. Just as he did last week in Europe, Obama began the conversation by criticizing America. Asked about relations between Israel and the Palestinians and the appointment of George Mitchell as special envoy, President Obama said " ... what I told (Mitchell) is start by listening, because all too often the United States starts by dictating -- in the past on some of these issues -- and we don't always know all the factors that are involved. So let's listen." Throughout the rest of the interview, Obama returned again and again to the word "respect," stressing that his administration -- unlike previous American presidents -- would base relations with the Muslim world on "mutual respect."

In Europe, the president returned to this leitmotif, telling his audience that "there have been times where America has shown arrogance and been dismissive, even derisive" toward Europe. He went on to note that Europeans had responded with an anti-Americanism that "is at once casual but can also be insidious." That sounds awfully high-mindedly evenhanded -- except that in Obama's telling, America's arrogance comes first. If that were truly the case, who could blame the Europeans for feeling resentful?

Don't hold your breath waiting for any European to acknowledge that they have been guilty of arrogance. And before giving Obama too much credit for humility, consider that the planted axiom of these declarations is that he is different. It was that ham-handed predecessor of his who blundered through the world, disrespecting allies, needlessly insulting enemies, and crashing through drawing rooms like the proverbial bull, or perhaps like a Texas steer. But as former Ambassador John Bolton reminds us, during the glory days of the Clinton administration, French President Francois Mitterrand said this: "We are at war with America-- a permanent war ... a war without death. They are very hard, the Americans. They are voracious. They want undivided power over the world." Compared with that, the most stinging rebuke to come out of the Bush administration -- Rumsfeld's swipe about "old Europe" -- seems downright polite.

There's nothing wrong with pleasant atmospherics, of course. And if Barack and Michelle Obama wowed the crowds in London and Prague, that's nice. But what you might have missed in all the hyperventilating in the media about the new incarnation of Jack and Jackie was that President Obama was rebuffed by Europe. He had asked them to pass stimulus bills like the one the Democrats passed in the U.S. Germany's Angela Merkel and the others turned that down flat. European nations have even graver problems with promised social safety net programs than we do, and they sensibly decided that further indebting themselves would aggravate rather than alleviate their troubles.

President Obama further requested that more troops be sent to Afghanistan. He wasn't subtle about it either. "Europe should not simply expect the United States to shoulder that burden alone," he said. "This is a joint problem and it requires a joint effort." Adoring crowds notwithstanding, they refused that request as well. Oh, wait. That's not quite true. According to Fox News, "Belgium offered to send 35 military trainers and Spain offered 12."

Back to relations with the Muslim world. Lest this slander pass into conventional wisdom, it must be protested. George W. Bush was never disrespectful to the Muslim world. He was extraordinarily careful to telegraph his respect for the Muslim faith -- some thought to a fault. ("Why is it," asked one wag, "that the only people who say Islam is religion of peace are Christians?") Bush made the Feast of Eid, which marks the end of Ramadan, an annual White House celebration with prominent Muslim guests. He arguably saved more Muslim lives through the African AIDS initiative than any other world leader could claim. Mrs. Bush made improving the lives of women and girls in Afghanistan her special project. In the immediate aftermath of the 9/11 attacks, when this was not an obvious move, he visited the Islamic Center in Washington, D.C., to telegraph to the nation that anger toward American Muslims would be a misplaced response to the atrocity.

This caricature of Bush as a heedless militarist and xenophobe -- which no one is doing more to promote than the current president -- is a libel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 152 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 09:55 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Please change the thread title, I thought you had finally came to your senses and you were finally apologizing........
post #3 of 152 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
^ No need. We have a fool to do that for us. I'm sure he will make the rounds in SE Asia to suck up to the ChiComs and Little Kim.
post #4 of 152 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 10:03 AM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
What a bunch of BS
"Back to relations with the Muslim world. Lest this slander pass into conventional wisdom, it must be protested. George W. Bush was never disrespectful to the Muslim world. He was extraordinarily careful to telegraph his respect for the Muslim faith"

Telegraph is different than saying it

And who are you kidding? Bush was at war with Islam, Muslims and Arabs. There is NO DENYING this fact! Try to board a domestic flight wearing a towel over your head then come back here, if you can, and report back.
post #5 of 152 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 10:05 AM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
What a bunch of BS
"Back to relations with the Muslim world. Lest this slander pass into conventional wisdom, it must be protested. George W. Bush was never disrespectful to the Muslim world. He was extraordinarily careful to telegraph his respect for the Muslim faith"

Telegraph is different than saying it

And who are you kidding? Bush was at war with Islam, Muslims and Arabs. There is NO DENYING this fact! Try to board a domestic flight wearing a towel over your head then come back here, if you can, and report back.

Give it up Professor, Stu doesn't like a Black POTUS........
post #6 of 152 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
We are not what we say. We are what we do.

Frankly, the crimes of the prior administration are beyond any attempt to apologize.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #7 of 152 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 10:07 AM
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuantle View Post
^ No need. We have a fool to do that for us. I'm sure he will make the rounds in SE Asia to suck up to the ChiComs and Little Kim.
If it is in the interest of our country rather than Israel or big business so be it. You got something against getting our country from the shit hole it's in? Fortunately, unlike what you're reporting, he's not kissing asses nor is he giving the house away. He is being genuine, real and is actually DOING SOMETHING himself rather than play wait and see like Bush got caught so many times with his pants down, Abu Ghraib anyone?
post #8 of 152 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 10:08 AM
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
Give it up Professor, Stu doesn't like a Black POTUS........
I don't think it's about being black, I think Stu is one of those who deep down still believe that President Hussein is a Muslim... Oh my!
post #9 of 152 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 10:11 AM
~BANNED~

Quote:
I don't think it's about being black, I think Stu is one of those who deep down still believe that President Hussein is a Muslim... Oh my!

I'm Muslim, I sleep beside one every night, I live in a country that is the larest Muslim country in the world, wonder if Stu thinks I am a threat.........
post #10 of 152 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Actually I think he makes a fair attempt at being a Christian. I am certainly no one to judge his level of faith.

Expat,
Leave the racist stuff out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in