Obama Fear in Action... Three Police Officers Killed! - Page 5 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Moderately subtle

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
When was the last time you were out at the firing range. There are some scary folks out there.
True, but not applicable to the point . . . that is, the Obama rhetoric might result in folks "Rushing" out to buy a gun (pun intended), but I fail to see how using them on police officers is more likely.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 03:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 1991 300 SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
the Obama rhetoric
What ‘rhetoric’ is that? ‘I won’t take your guns?’

The rhetoric comes from the right based on an inference from the infamous ‘cling to guns and religion’ comment.

Quote:
I fail to see how using them on police officers is more likely.
It’s not.
post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfreeman View Post
True, but not applicable to the point . . . that is, the Obama rhetoric might result in folks "Rushing" out to buy a gun (pun intended), but I fail to see how using them on police officers is more likely.
My point is that the froth that is being whipped up by that contingent results in confrontations with multiple weapons, body armor and, as a result police. The fact that cops end up being targeted is collateral to most. There is only a very small group who look to LEO as part of "THEM" and instigate the confrontation explicitly.

None of the folks that I have seen/talked to/been around would direct it at cops but would not back down, once the confrontation had spun out of control.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Moderately subtle

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc1244 View Post
What ‘rhetoric’ is that? ‘I won’t take your guns?’

The rhetoric comes from the right based on an inference from the infamous ‘cling to guns and religion’ comment.

It’s not.
You are misreading me. I am not saying the rhetoric comes from Obama, it is about Obama.

post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Is the confusion that I am parked somewhat on the right yet looking at the kids on the right on this one. I realize that might alter perceptions.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 04:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: w204 (C350ELE)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Could this be a focus to shoot for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Is the confusion that I am parked somewhat on the right yet looking at the kids on the right on this one. I realize that might alter perceptions.
The fact that guns don't kill, gun users do, is a poor excuse for a controversy that is rooted as much in individual freedom rights, as in deep pocket interests. In escence, what we have is a rampant mixture of gun-owners with twisted minds on the loose, plus a base legislation that makes difficult to change it due to the stiff opposition of the interested parties seconded by a smattering of stubbornness on the part of many well rounded gun-owners of good faith.

I am surprised that with England so tied to our past we have evolved with such different criteria in the matter of gun possession and gun control. In England, one of the things more difficult to obtain would be a gun permit. Bobbies don't carry guns, yet they do arrest as much as needed.

The lobby of the NRA is disgusting. The yellow media is worse, because they reach a point of poisoning the good intentioned listener/reader. But money talks, and sensationalism is ratings/sales, and consequent sponsorships.

I don't think it is a matter of Obama wishes to take our guns, nor that Glock promoted their backlog. Perhaps a move by the governments to equip the police with advanced non lethal weapons (stun guns), thoroughly backed up by the armor and ordinance warranted for all common contingencies could be a start. If effective, it could be followed up by moves to progressively restrict private gun ownership. As for the foxy bunch and others such, ideally better programs at the same time can severely limit their audiences. However, let's be clear that both sides have extremes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Center gets Off Center when it becomes the Center of Attention.
When this fact happens to the Right and the Left, these touch each other.
post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Forum Administrator RC Colas & Moon Pies

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Where will it stop?

Obama Seeks to Abolish World's Nukes

By JENNIFER LOVEN
AP
posted: 5 MINUTES AGO

PRAGUE (April 5) - Declaring the future of mankind at stake, President Barack Obama on Sunday said all nations must strive to rid the world of nuclear arms and that the U.S. had a "moral responsibility" to lead because no other country has used one.
A North Korean rocket launch upstaged Obama's idealistic call to action, delivered in the capital of the Czech Republic, a former satellite of the Soviet Union. But Obama dismissed those who say the spread of nuclear weapons, "the most dangerous legacy of the Cold War," cannot be checked.

Click the headline for the rest...
post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 05:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
How interesting to read the lefties in this thread conjure up their own conspiracy theories on gun use. McBare, what you call this stuff you are doing?--counterfroth? pre-emptive frothing? Red-meat frothiing?

Charter member of the Vast Rightwing Conspiracy and proud of it.

God Bless the America we're trying to create.
--Hillary Rodham Clinton
post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 08:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 1991 300 SE
If Americans enjoyed a comprehensive healthcare program – including a mental health program – would these individuals receive the care and treatment needed to prevent the crimes they commit? It’s easy to demonize guns, gun owners and advocate gun bans; it ‘s difficult to work to create a proactive healthcare program that might save the life of a mentally ill person and the people he may harm.

As usual we choose to do what’s easy.
post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 08:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc1244 View Post
If Americans enjoyed a comprehensive healthcare program – including a mental health program – would these individuals receive the care and treatment needed to prevent the crimes they commit? It’s easy to demonize guns, gun owners and advocate gun bans; it ‘s difficult to work to create a proactive healthcare program that might save the life of a mentally ill person and the people he may harm.

As usual we choose to do what’s easy.
Indeed, what you propose is incredibly hard. Two of the most difficult items in the mental health business are, in no certain order, 1) predicting when someone will commit murder, and 2) stopping someone from killing himself, if he/she is so strongly intentioned.

I suggest that we take on your tasks once we've finally won the wars on poverty and drugs.

Charter member of the Vast Rightwing Conspiracy and proud of it.

God Bless the America we're trying to create.
--Hillary Rodham Clinton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in