Tunisian pilot who prayed as his plane went down jailed in Italy - Page 7 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 12:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 03 Corvette Z06;08 GMC Acadia;84 230CE MANUAL Euro;12 Acura TL Tech Pkg; 02 Lexus LS430 Ultra Luxury
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by isthisdave View Post
He spoke to the actions of a pilot, as perceived with the information presently available. I for one agree with him. Does that make me a Muslim hater?
HIS actions. What HE "would" do or what he "should" do. Does it mean everyone should or would behave this way? No.

Soldiers are trained well. They are to behave in a certain way. However when shit hits the fan, your most hardened, macho ones have nervous breakdowns. If a pilot froze, it is not criminal. So we court martial these soldiers? No.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 01:24 PM
It Is What It Is, Dude

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1978 107.024 RIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Your post, #27

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetjock
Airline Pilots must have the ability to compartmentalize. That means that they are trained to leave the vast majority of their "outside lives" outside of the cockpit door, so that when they are at the controls of their plane, they are thinking almost exclusively of their duties and their responsibilities. Furthermore, airline pilots are not given to panic, but are trained to fly the jet, communicate to outside agencies, and finally, to solve whatever problem they are presented with. This is all a very large part of flight training at all the airlines. We practice, over and over again, those scenarios which you hope will only happen in the simulator, as well as any and all emergencies that can or may happen during taxi, takeoff, flight, and landing.

No pilot that I know, and I personally know thousands, would ever take the time to pray, in the face of an emergency, hoping that someone outside the cockpit would eliminate the problem for them. Nor do I know any captain, who would cede control of the jet, in an emergency situation, to the first officer, so that he could "go off and pick berries." If that was what happened in this case, and I were the judge and jury, I'd prosecute, to the fullest extent of the law, the captain, while proclaiming that the first officer was a hero, for singlehandedly saving the folks who were unfortunate enough to be riding on the plane, with a captain who didn't understand his responsibilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cancer Researcher
JJ
If this is what happened, I would give the pilot the death penalty. However, many things seem fishy in the story.

Why the dichotomy? You originally agreed with the assessment, albeit contingent on the veracity of the purported courtroom testimony, which is exactly the same caveat imposed by Jetjock. Now, according to you, he's a Muslim hater whose judgment can not be trusted. Your ranting, rambling, and ill applied analogies have weakened your various arguments on practically every thread you've posted to. Slow down, take a deep fucking breath, inventory the personality roster, and pick one you can maybe post with for at least the rest of the day.
post #63 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 01:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 03 Corvette Z06;08 GMC Acadia;84 230CE MANUAL Euro;12 Acura TL Tech Pkg; 02 Lexus LS430 Ultra Luxury
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by isthisdave View Post
Your post, #27

Why the dichotomy? You originally agreed with the assessment, albeit contingent on the veracity of the purported courtroom testimony, which is exactly the same caveat imposed by Jetjock. Now, according to you, he's a Muslim hater whose judgment can not be trusted. Your ranting, rambling, and ill applied analogies have weakened your various arguments on practically every thread you've posted to. Slow down, take a deep fucking breath, inventory the personality roster, and pick one you can maybe post with for at least the rest of the day.
As you can see from my original post that I agree with him on the highlighted point, which was the second paragraph. I still would give him the death penalty if it happened as described. However I do not agree with his first paragraph at all. Yes you are "expected" to do all what jet wrote and you are trained to behave a certain way in an emergency for which you have practiced and practiced but do you? Nobody knows nor can judge unless one goes through that same situation himself. See my post above about soldiers.
I thought his statement was biased as he did NOT mention this and conveniently left that part out and made it seem that there is no other way a pilot should act because of his training. His first paragraph also has a tone in which he implies, not says that there is no time nor is it ok for prayer even whether it is subconscious or not although. Of course I would agree that it would be criminal to abort your duty and bow down to a higher power but I don't agree that you can't say, "God help me" while you are frantically trying to land. Also didn't agree with "airline pilots are not given to panic". No one knows how they will react no matter how much you train. Some people may actually turn to God while getting a situation under control. I have seen it several time in the operating rooms when shit hits the fan and surgeons are praying to Jesus, to Lord Ganesha while diligently working to fix the artery that they just cut. One could say about surgeons everything Jet said in his first paragraph. If the patient dies, is the surgeon negligent? he would be if he turn to an idol of Ganesha and fall to his knees and let the patient bleed out. In court all one has to say is that a "good" surgeon is "trained to leave his outside life outside the operating room." THE SURGEON WILL GET CONVICTED as just this statement alone implies that the surgeon was either not qualified or was negligent.

The tone of the first paragraph seems to me and yes it is my opinion that it is not ok to think about anything else or that it would be unprofessional to yell God's name in an emergency. I agree completely with the second paragraph.
post #64 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:27 PM
It Is What It Is, Dude

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1978 107.024 RIP
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Just wow.
post #65 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
^ +1

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #66 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Moderately subtle

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Make that 2.

post #67 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 02:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1984 300GD "G" Wagen, and 1998 Steyr Puch 290GD "G" Van & a 1988 MB Trac 1000
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Difflock
May i suggest flying with accredited airlines only, preferably those who employ ex Airforce staff.
post #68 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 02:42 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
We need more cockpit info.
post #69 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 04:14 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1984 300GD "G" Wagen, and 1998 Steyr Puch 290GD "G" Van & a 1988 MB Trac 1000
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Difflock
Erm
we still talking planes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in