I could guess who will be excited about the Spanish Courts... - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 12:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeVal View Post
I have no qualm with the Spanish Courts getting their nose in any just or unjust international affair. But, Judge Garzon and his sequel has a tract to the left of Castro and is deaf to the claims that politically are centrist or moderately to the right. I, when in Argentina, get tired with local and Spanish prosecutions for human rights violations. Why? Because they are totally partial. In Barcelona lives a man called Firmenich (formerly chief in an antisocial and antidemocratic revolutionary clandestine movement). He had five persons shot after being kidnapped from their homes, among which was the best President I new, and probably of all times, in Argentina. Judge Garzon made public his dedication to prosecute all violators of human rights no matter where they were. He has yet to prosecute one from the center-left or left. So, now it's Bush's turn. Believe me it will be just headlines. Nevertheless some of you can and will have a blast.
Thank God we would never be partisan here in America. We might do something silly like investigate a President about a blow job.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 12:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Thank God we would never be partisan here in America. We might do something silly like investigate a President about a blow job.
OK, let's hijack this thread. Enough of the Spainards.

George Carlin put it best. "If her lips are on your willie, then it's sex for both of you"!
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
I agree that it would be a more logical choice for the Hague to address this and clear the air on the subject but, as Pinochet found out, international torture laws can be addressed pretty much anywhere.

Even we, in the US have been known to try and prosecute a leader who tortures folks. I believe that was reason number 7.R.2.a for invading Iraq.
That's all well and fine, but Spain is tainted on this issue, thus not the best candidate in regard to fair and impartial. I'm sure you recall the Spanish extraction from Iraq as a direct response to a terrorist act. I have no problem with Spain or any other country responding to the fact that they were coerced and misled into the Iraq engagement, by withdrawing their forces. But doing so as a direct response to an overt act of terrorism was absolutely the wrong thing to do. They lost the moral ground right then and there, thus could easily be seen as pursuing this matter as vendetta.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove View Post
These Spanish courts have a few notches on their belt in prosecuting these type of cases, if I was George Bush, I'd stay in Crawford, sort of like Pinochet was forced to stay in Chile.
The Spanish judge who wanted to try Pinochet has very recently been charged with corruption He was also recently fined 4000 Euros for hunting without a licence.

Let them cast the first stone and all that!

EDIT: Correction, is was actually the Spanish JUSTICE MINISTER who had to resign for corruption, he was with Gárzon the judge on the hunting trip.

Last edited by RedLiner; 03-30-2009 at 06:50 PM.
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 06:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuantle View Post
OK, let's hijack this thread. Enough of the Spainards.

George Carlin put it best. "If her lips are on your willie, then it's sex for both of you"!
I think you need to read what I was commenting on. It was the partisanship, and apparently that is global...who knew?

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 06:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
That's all well and fine, but Spain is tainted on this issue, thus not the best candidate in regard to fair and impartial. I'm sure you recall the Spanish extraction from Iraq as a direct response to a terrorist act. I have no problem with Spain or any other country responding to the fact that they were coerced and misled into the Iraq engagement, by withdrawing their forces. But doing so as a direct response to an overt act of terrorism was absolutely the wrong thing to do. They lost the moral ground right then and there, thus could easily be seen as pursuing this matter as vendetta.
Vendetta against whom? By whom? Why?

McBear,
Kentucky

post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 06:41 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Use your imagination. It plays several ways, only one of which is straight.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 07:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 300SD
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Never mind the Spanish courts.
Where are the US courts and lawyers? Where are a the people who should be prosecuting the Bush administration war criminals right now? Where is the US Congress, the US Department of Justice?

If these people, including Bush and Cheney are not investigated and prosecuted through the proper DOJ channels, we can flush the Constitution down the toilet. And we are going to preach to others about democracy and rule of law? I think it is high time we had a third party in this conutry and got away from this two party dictatorship.
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 07:39 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

It will never happen, because everyone on Capital Hill who voted to cede Bush war powers stands as an accomplice. That is why there was never going to be an impeachment, or even a serious investigation.

post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 08:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by p100 View Post
Never mind the Spanish courts.
Where are the US courts and lawyers? Where are a the people who should be prosecuting the Bush administration war criminals right now? Where is the US Congress, the US Department of Justice?

If these people, including Bush and Cheney are not investigated and prosecuted through the proper DOJ channels, we can flush the Constitution down the toilet. And we are going to preach to others about democracy and rule of law? I think it is high time we had a third party in this conutry and got away from this two party dictatorship.
Executive Orders were signed by Bush that eliminate ANY prosecutions in the US against folks for torture. So it isn't going to happen in the US. Thank the 2006 Congress for that.

McBear,
Kentucky

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in