(Thread Starter)
Freedom Fries are next

Quote:
Freedom Tower in NYC gets name change - Security- msnbc.com

Freedom Tower in NYC gets name change
Agency changes name of building to replace towers destroyed on 9/11
The Associated Press
updated 11:25 a.m. ET, Fri., March. 27, 2009

NEW YORK - The Freedom Tower is out. One World Trade Center is in.

The agency that owns the site says that the signature 1,776-foot skyscraper replacing the towers destroyed on Sept. 11, 2001, will be known as One World Trade Center.

The building under construction at the site was named the Freedom Tower in the first master plan. Officials at the time said the tallest, most symbolic of five planned towers at the site would demonstrate the country's triumph over terrorism.

Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Chairman Anthony Coscia says the agency refers to the building as One World Trade Center. He says it's the building's legal name and "the one that's easiest for people to identify with."

"As we market the building, we will ensure that it is presented in the best possible way — and 1 World Trade Center is the address that we're using," said Coscia.

"It's the one that is easiest for people to identify with — and frankly, we've gotten a very interested and warm reception to it."

Sharp rebuke
According to the New York Daily News, the name change for the 102-story, $3.1 billion skyscraper, unveiled after a PA board meeting, drew a sharp rebuke from former Gov. George Pataki, whose April 24, 2003, speech gave the building its brand.

"The Freedom Tower is not simply another piece of real estate and not just a name for marketing purposes," Pataki said.

"In design and name, it is symbolic of our commitment to rise above the attacks of Sept. 11. Where 1 and 2 World Trade Center once stood, there will be a memorial with two voids to honor the heroes we lost — and, in my view, those addresses should never be used again."

The newspapers said the change came after board members voted to sign a 21-year lease deal with Vantone, a Chinese real estate giant, which will become the first commercial tenant at Ground Zero.

The negotiations with Vantone, which is closely affiliated with the Chinese Communist government, had nothing to do with the name change, Port Authority officials told the News, but was based primarily on bottom-line marketing considerations.
Jayhawk must be very disappointed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 11:21 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It is a sad sad day, how will he know they still have freedom unless Bush tells him
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 12:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I still think we should have rebuilt the damn thing brick-for-brick just to show our enemies we will not be defeated, I hate this thing. If the problem was money, alls they had to do was ask, I'd be first in line to mail em whatever I could, with a few hundred million other people next in line.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 04:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: w204 (C350ELE)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
It is a sad sad day, how will he know they still have freedom unless Bush tells him
We can always check with one of the Princes of Freedom, such as the Indonesian leaders. No offense, but Bush happens to be a Non Muslim American
who right or wrong did more for his Country than you could probably assimilate in several lifetimes. He may be an Ex-Pat since the family spends Summers in Maine, but his heart is in America, and probably Texas. Also, he never confused religion with patriotism.

If you wish, as you say, to support our current President, don't assume postures against the Country (right or wrong). Be an outspoken Muslim here, be an EXpat in Jakarta, but be an American everywhere.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 05:40 PM
It Is What It Is, Dude

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1978 107.024 RIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeVal
Also, he never confused religion with patriotism.

Really.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 08:46 PM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeVal View Post
We can always check with one of the Princes of Freedom, such as the Indonesian leaders. No offense, but Bush happens to be a Non Muslim American
who right or wrong did more for his Country than you could probably assimilate in several lifetimes. He may be an Ex-Pat since the family spends Summers in Maine, but his heart is in America, and probably Texas. Also, he never confused religion with patriotism.
Joe, my point was without the name and without Bush, who would tell Jay Freedom still exists.

No Princes in Indonesia but check with some of the UK posters here, they have a few.

If Bush never got confused with his patriotism and his ability to tell right from wrong then please explain the following:

Bush's Former Oil Company Linked To bin Laden Family

Bush's Former Oil Company Linked To bin Laden Family

Quote:
If you wish, as you say, to support our current President, don't assume postures against the Country (right or wrong). Be an outspoken Muslim here, be an EXpat in Jakarta, but be an American everywhere.
So let me get this right, I cannot take a stand against my own country if I think it is wrong on an issue, shit, I knew I had been gone a while and Bush has taken away some freedoms that Americans once enjoyed but did not it had gone this far. I better get down to the Embassy here and check the bulletin board for that memo, ASAP.

And Joe, who brought religion in to this discussion, you don't what religion I am unless you are an old poster here with a new name?
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 09:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 300SD
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
No offense, but Bush happens to be a Non Muslim American who right or wrong did more for his Country than you could probably assimilate in several lifetimes.
Phuleeeeze!!!!!

Bush brought us to the brink of a fascist dictatorship. His cronies pillaged and plundered whatever was not nailed down and they fucked the rest.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 09:37 PM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by p100 View Post
Phuleeeeze!!!!!

Bush brought us to the brink of a fascist dictatorship. His cronies pillaged and plundered whatever was not nailed down and they fucked the rest.

P, Joe is right, even if you, DrewProf, FTL, Shane and I combined our efforts for 20 life times, we all could not create the damage, the havoc and the lasting long term effect that Bush has done over 8 years.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 09:38 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
^give it to Jayhawk
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 09:49 PM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
^give it to Jayhawk

I was only gone a couple of months, did Jay run a Right Wing Nut Job recruiting program for the BWOT or did he just give his cousins computers..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in