Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: '98 E320 Wagon (non 4matic)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TNTRower
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
I preach it and practice it, read my answer and check your facts before you jump to conclusions... again
Hey Dumbass! I am AGREEING with you.

You are proof for the cliché that even a blind squirrel can find a nut sometimes.

Who's John Galt.

"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes" - Virgil, The Aeneid, Book 2

If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel. --Benjamin Netayahu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 06:08 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRower View Post
Hey Dumbass! I am AGREEING with you.

You are proof for the cliché that even a blind squirrel can find a nut sometimes.
Sorry, very sorry, I though you were agreeing with dig. I jumped on the trigger a little too fast I will check if my nuts are still in place
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Sorry, very sorry, I though you were agreeing with dig. I jumped on the trigger a little too fast I will check if my nuts are still in place
And I apologize for calling you a dumbass.

Maybe you are a smartass?

Who's John Galt.

If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel. --Benjamin Netayahu
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 06:25 PM
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
And I apologize for calling you a dumbass.

Maybe you are a smartass?
My wife calls me both so I am maybe in between; an ass
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
My wife calls me both so I am maybe in between; an ass
fair 'nuff

Who's John Galt.

post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 09:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
^ Very true, our ridiculous military spending subsidizes Canada, east Asia, and half of Europe in particular. Without it, you folks would be hard-pressed to pursue your progressive social programs, don't you think?
No, I don't think. Precisely who is the US protecting Canada from? I know that many in the US like to think that your military is some sort of a benevolent world police force, but it isn't. Some, like TNTRower, like to act like the overwhelmigh weight of the world is on US sholders and that you are somehow compelled out of goodness to step in and regulate the world. I call bullshit. What I think is that your military spending allows you to continue to exercise political influence all over the globe in order to protect American commerce and political influence. It is the same reason that the British had the most powerful navy in the world in the 19th century. It protects the American global commercial hegemony. And just like the British, the expense attached to that military expenditure has a large hand in destroying your nation's treasury.

I'd be very interested to hear how you believe US military spending subsidizes Canada's social spending. We've always managed to have better social programs that you do, but despite that we've always managed to fight when called upon to do so. Every time we've mobilized our military for war it has been in the defence of an ally. We haven't been attacked since a bunch of drunken Irishmen in New York State thought they'd have a go at us in the 1860's because they were pissed off at the British. Prior to that it was 1812 - your military didn't do us any good then seeing as it was the one attacking us.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 09:38 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Take out the military spending as we end up protecting the world (not a political statement just the facts)

FYI it is "per capita" no "L."

Europe has a much higher tax rate on its citizens than the US does. Everything from Gas to iPods. You can be sure that money gets spent.
I know it is per-capita. That was a typo. None of us are immune, but if you wish to nitpick I'll keep an eye peeled in return. Thanks.

Oh, and as an FYI, as I just said in my reply to GS, the world police argument is bullshit. If it was about being world police, you'd act in places like Darfur and would have gone into Rwanda. You wouldn't have cut and run from Somalia, where instead we have piracy on the high seas. You apply your military selectively when it is in the interests of the American nation. There isn't anything wrong with that - that is exactly how a military should be used. What is wrong is trying to cast self interested action under the guise of benevolent action.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 09:56 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlomon View Post
No, I don't think. Precisely who is the US protecting Canada from? I know that many in the US like to think that your military is some sort of a benevolent world police force, but it isn't. Some, like TNTRower, like to act like the overwhelmigh weight of the world is on US sholders and that you are somehow compelled out of goodness to step in and regulate the world. I call bullshit. What I think is that your military spending allows you to continue to exercise political influence all over the globe in order to protect American commerce and political influence. It is the same reason that the British had the most powerful navy in the world in the 19th century. It protects the American global commercial hegemony. And just like the British, the expense attached to that military expenditure has a large hand in destroying your nation's treasury.

I'd be very interested to hear how you believe US military spending subsidizes Canada's social spending. We've always managed to have better social programs that you do, but despite that we've always managed to fight when called upon to do so. Every time we've mobilized our military for war it has been in the defence of an ally. We haven't been attacked since a bunch of drunken Irishmen in New York State thought they'd have a go at us in the 1860's because they were pissed off at the British. Prior to that it was 1812 - your military didn't do us any good then seeing as it was the one attacking us.
I agree with about 98% of that. All except that part which refutes my point. Reduce our military to reflect a reasonable, responsible force designed for effective defense, and military spending beyond our borders increases, moderately in some places, dramatically in others. If the U.S. were hostile toward Canada or barely capable of maintaining a national defense posture, your military expenditures would have to increase, and that increase would make itself felt. If you believe the USSR would not have been testing Canada over the last half of the 20th Century in such a climate, you're fooling yourself. Extricate the U.S. from NATO, and the effects will be felt in Europe. Extricate the U.S. from the Pacific, and local military expenditures will increase dramatically, as regional players jockey for position.

Understand that I am not lauding the impact of our global hegemony, quite the opposite. We should withdraw from NATO, from the Pacific, and from the UN, and do so with no small haste.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 10:43 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1967 Irish/ Pole
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Europe: "I Think you are spending too much money?"

U.S.: "Could you please go away and let me finish my crack in peace? Thank you."

-Marty

"...pour out of one vessel into another; and as those old Romans robbed all the cities in the world, we skim the cream of other men's wits, pick the choice flowers of their tilled gardens to set our own sterile plots."
-a Richard Burton
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 10:46 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
^ Yes.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in