post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
BWOT members are being viewed through new eyes

Are you listening to me? Didn't I just tell you to get your coat? Helloooo! It's cold out there...

So goes many a conversation between parent and toddler. It seems everything you tell them either falls on deaf ears or goes in one ear and out the other. But that's not how it works.

Toddlers listen, they just store the information for later use, a new study finds.

"I went into this study expecting a completely different set of findings," said psychology professor Yuko Munakata at the University of Colorado at Boulder. "There is a lot of work in the field of cognitive development that focuses on how kids are basically little versions of adults trying to do the same things adults do, but they're just not as good at it yet. What we show here is they are doing something completely different."

Munakata and colleagues used a computer game and a setup that measures the diameter of the pupil of the eye to determine the mental effort of the child to study the cognitive abilities of 3-and-a-half-year-olds and 8-year-olds.

The game involved teaching children simple rules about two cartoon characters - Blue from Blue's Clues and SpongeBob SquarePants - and their preferences for different objects. The children were told that Blue likes watermelon, so they were to press the happy face on the computer screen only when they saw Blue followed by a watermelon. When SpongeBob appeared, they were to press the sad face on the screen.

"The older kids found this sequence easy, because they can anticipate the answer before the object appears," said doctoral student Christopher Chatham, who participated in the study. "But preschoolers fail to anticipate in this way. Instead, they slow down and exert mental effort after being presented with the watermelon, as if they're thinking back to the character they had seen only after the fact."

The pupil measurements showed that 3-year-olds neither plan for the future nor live completely in the present. Instead, they call up the past as they need it.

"For example, let's say it's cold outside and you tell your 3-year-old to go get his jacket out of his bedroom and get ready to go outside," Chatham explained. "You might expect the child to plan for the future, think 'OK it's cold outside so the jacket will keep me warm.' But what we suggest is that this isn't what goes on in a 3-year-old's brain. Rather, they run outside, discover that it is cold, and then retrieve the memory of where their jacket is and then they become BWOT members, did I miss a few years in between?

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 02:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: Baby
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's the same as motivating with a negative.

The brain doesn't register words like "don't" in the manner we intend them to be understood.

Example: billy don't spill your milk. (billy hears spill your milk) Mommy gets mad at billy. Didn't I just tell you not to spill your milk?

A more positive message could have been: Billy be careful with your milk.

A great story from the great lefty Warren Spawn. during a world series game the coach comes out to the mound and tell me don't throw it down and inside, he'll knock it out of the park. What does Warren do? Yeah down and inside, boom out of the park. fortunately the milwaukee braves went on to win the series. Warren said he felt a better message would have been, keep it high and outside.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 03:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoseyman View Post

The brain doesn't register words like "don't" in the manner we intend them to be understood.

Example: billy don't spill your milk. (billy hears spill your milk) Mommy gets mad at billy. Didn't I just tell you not to spill your milk?

A great story from the great lefty Warren Spawn. during a world series game the coach comes out to the mound and tell me don't throw it down and inside, he'll knock it out of the park. What does Warren do? Yeah down and inside, boom out of the park. fortunately the milwaukee braves went on to win the series. Warren said he felt a better message would have been, keep it high and outside.
Warren a bit slow with deductive reasoning skills?

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 03:09 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes: "Trying to sneak a fastball past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak the sunrise past a rooster." -- Joe Adcock

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 03:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes: "Trying to sneak a fastball past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak the sunrise past a rooster." -- Joe Adcock
I like it.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
"The key to winning baseball games is pitching, fundamentals, and three run homers." Earl Weaver

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 04:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow View Post
"The key to winning baseball games is pitching, fundamentals, and three run homers." Earl Weaver
See my new post
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
See my new post
Already did. Have you been to the Shanenigans thread recently?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 05:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: w204 (C350ELE)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
See my new post
For a man who carries on his left hand what the avatar shows, you are full of surprises when it comes to Psychology. Now, I heard the other day that some psychologists in California advise to teach pre-speech infants sign language to enable them, for instance, to ask for food when they wish to eat. Care to comment, Prof.?

As everything in arts and sciences, Anatomy and Physiology of the Nervous System has resulted in innumerable discoveries since I took them in the 50's.
Nevertheless, my curiosity always fights the time constraints and prevents me from feeling as a dinosaur. Yap pah dah pah doo!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 05:40 PM
BenzWorld Elitist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:

How do you prevent the shop from rotating the tires on your car during routine maintenance? I had new tires installed recently, putting the new ones on the front and moving the front tires to the rear. So I didn't want them moved. I wrote on the work order myself 'PLEASE DO NOT ROTATE TIRES' ... guess what happened?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in