BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Terrorists hail Obama's new approach...

"Well, maybe if they like us they won't kill us..."

The exiled leader of the Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas on Sunday hailed the "new lexicon" being used by US President Barack Obama towards foreign policy issues the Middle East.

"The challenge for everyone is that (Obama's new language) is a prelude to a sincere change (of direction) in US and European foreign policy," Khaled Meshaal said in an interview with Italian newspaper La Repubblica. ...

Hamas leader hails Obama's new approach: report

Don't believe everything you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 11:53 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2008
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Aww, fucking Obama, and fuck Hamas... How dare either side speak on behalf of the whole world. I'm sick of this shit, its a war between 3 groups of people, not 3 nations.

Fucking rich assholes. How could people be so ignorant? Beats be to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker-1999 S600 View Post
the comparison between a V8 and a V12 isn't a decision, it's an opportunity.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 12:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1990 500 SEL, 2003 Range Rover HSE
Jayhawk,

Why did you call Hamas terrorists? Have they ever attacked a US target?? Actually, they have never ever carried any attacks outside Palestine/Israel.

Khaled Mashaal, the Hamas leader quoted in the article, was the target of a failed assassination attempt by the Mossad in the Jordanian capital Amman in 1997. This breach of sovereignty of a neighbour state (which has a peace agreement with Israel, BTW) was Israel's response to Hamas's offer of a long-term truce between the group and Israel. Wasn't that attack an act of state-sponsored terrorism??
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahloube View Post
Jayhawk,

Why did you call Hamas terrorists? Have they ever attacked a US target?? Actually, they have never ever carried any attacks outside Palestine/Israel.

Khaled Mashaal, the Hamas leader quoted in the article, was the target of a failed assassination attempt by the Mossad in the Jordanian capital Amman in 1997. This breach of sovereignty of a neighbour state (which has a peace agreement with Israel, BTW) was Israel's response to Hamas's offer of a long-term truce between the group and Israel. Wasn't that attack an act of state-sponsored terrorism??
According to Wikipedia: "...Hamas is considered a terrorist organization by Canada,[28] the European Union,[29][30][31] Israel,[32] Japan,[33] and the United States.[34],Australia[35] and the United Kingdom[36]..."

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 02:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
According to Wikipedia: "...Hamas is considered a terrorist organization by Canada,[28] the European Union,[29][30][31] Israel,[32] Japan,[33] and the United States.[34],Australia[35] and the United Kingdom[36]..."
So is the IRA AND the Real IRA but apparently not the "I Can't Believe It's Not IRA"

How many of those groups [and this is a very serious question] are listed because they are actually terrorist groups who have COMMITTED acts of terror or just groups who are in political opposition to a favored government position?

Our First Amendment would be interested in that differentiation.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 03:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2008
Hammas is a goverment am I not correct? So if for the little things they have done and considerd as "terrorists" then fuck me, what is America?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker-1999 S600 View Post
the comparison between a V8 and a V12 isn't a decision, it's an opportunity.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 03:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonet View Post
Hammas is a goverment am I not correct? So if for the little things they have done and considerd as "terrorists" then fuck me, what is America?
Or Britain or France or Germany or Israel or...

Annoying those democratically held elections.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
So is the IRA AND the Real IRA but apparently not the "I Can't Believe It's Not IRA"

How many of those groups [and this is a very serious question] are listed because they are actually terrorist groups who have COMMITTED acts of terror or just groups who are in political opposition to a favored government position?

Our First Amendment would be interested in that differentiation.
Not sure which "groups" you mean, but I seriously think any group all those nations call terrorists have to be because they "...have COMMITTED acts of terror (i.e., violence). Which terrorist groups do you think have not committed acts of terror?

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 03:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Not sure which "groups" you mean, but I seriously think any group all those nations call terrorists have to be because they "...have COMMITTED acts of terror (i.e., violence). Which terrorist groups do you think have not committed acts of terror?
I was using the 2008 State Department list.

And I was asking. Some of them appear to be somewhat obscure to be in the same league as AQ or IRA.

As an example, I fail to see how Shining Path meets the criteria of the Department of State's own regulations.

1. It must be a foreign organization.
  2. The organization must engage in terrorist activity, as defined in section 212 (a)(3)(B) of the INA (8 U.S.C. § 1182(a)(3)(B)),* or terrorism, as defined in section 140(d)(2) of the Foreign Relations Authorization Act, Fiscal Years 1988 and 1989 (22 U.S.C. § 2656f(d)(2)),** or retain the capability and intent to engage in terrorist activity or terrorism.
  3. The organization’s terrorist activity or terrorism must threaten the security of U.S. nationals or the national security (national defense, foreign relations, or the economic interests) of the United States.

Foreign Terrorist Organizations (FTOs)

Shining Path - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now I am not saying that that the Shining Path are just Boy Scouts gone bad, but they don't threaten US in any way yet they are on the list. That moves from TERRORIST to POLITICAL.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
I was using the 2008 State Department list.

And I was asking. Some of them appear to be somewhat obscure to be in the same league as AQ or IRA.

As an example, I fail to see how Shining Path meets the criteria of the Department of State's own regulations.

1. It must be a foreign organization.
  2. The organization must engage in terrorist activity, as defined in section 212 (a)(3)(B) of the INA (8 U.S.C. § 1182(a)(3)(B)),* or terrorism, as defined in section 140(d)(2) of the Foreign Relations Authorization Act, Fiscal Years 1988 and 1989 (22 U.S.C. § 2656f(d)(2)),** or retain the capability and intent to engage in terrorist activity or terrorism.
  3. The organization’s terrorist activity or terrorism must threaten the security of U.S. nationals or the national security (national defense, foreign relations, or the economic interests) of the United States.

Foreign Terrorist Organizations (FTOs)

Shining Path - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now I am not saying that that the Shining Path are just Boy Scouts gone bad, but they don't threaten US in any way yet they are on the list. That moves from TERRORIST to POLITICAL.
I don't know bear... That seems like a pretty tight and non-political definition to me. In the behavioral sciences we call it both a functional and operational definition. I can't imagine how they could fudge that to include a nation just because someone was pissed at them. But maybe you have better inside information than the rest of us...

Last edited by Jayhawk; 03-22-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in