Actress Natasha Richardson dies after skiing accident - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 135 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 12:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Lecours View Post
I've skied 1000's of times and fallen on many occasion. Shit happens!! .......she was properly treated at Tremblant.
It was a baby run meant for beginners. She should have had a helmet on!

There were no rocks or wood for her to hit, it's a carpet run for her to improve her beginner techniques on. Baby runs are groomed to perfection for the beginners.
Her private instructor was with her and she had a tumble as beginners always do. Helmets are "recommended" for all to wear and were available for rent along with everything else that she rented.
Canada requires all bikers to wear helmets on the road........Do you!!

Canada is a ski nation and Tremblant is the biggest and best there is in Eastern Canada.

She got up and laughed and was fine to everyone at that moment. Her condition deteriorated later.
You can't demand that everyone who falls "has to go to the ER." Snow Boarder's" spend their first few days on their butts and suggesting that all falls have to be treated in the ER is ridiculous. I hope some details come out as to what the brain injury was.

It's a tragedy for Liam and all the rest of her family and fans.
Yes, she should have had a helmet on. Yes I wear a helmet biking [motorcycling or bicycling] and skiing or boarding [I figure it is cheaper than trying to shovel the little gray cells back in the skull, all in specifically the correct order].

Where this story falls apart is that her instructor was worried enough that she stayed with her the entire time, even down to the lodge because she knew that she had smacked her head. I have to assume a seasoned instructor would know when a hit was hard enough for her to provide complete and undivided attention.

So, with those extenuating conditions there should be an expectation that the victim go to the ER. The EXPERT on the scene was concerned enough to suggest it and to follow along well past a normal time for an instructor if she did not have cause for concern.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 135 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 12:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2006 B 200 & Audi A6..
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
I'm glad to see that you always wear a helmet,........ unfortunately many in the US don't ......."and don't have to"....and many that crash die because of it.

I've ski patrolled for many years and was the regional FA instructor in those same Laurentian mountains in many smaller centers.
If the instructor knew who she was, I suspect that Natasha would have received extra attention as a celebrity.

I don't have all of the details around this. Did she ski down to the Lodge after the fall?
If there was any doubt, the instructor would have called for the patrol and the patrol would have called for a sled.
Let's hope that more accurate facts are given out.
post #23 of 135 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
One must ask, WTH were the Montreal hospitals doing in the first 24 hrs ?

Quote:

The autopsy on Thursday suggests that the fall tore an artery inside Ms. Richardson’s skull, resulting in bleeding in an area between the skull bone and the lining covering the brain, called the dura matter. Ms. Richardson’s death was ruled an accident, said Ellen Borakove, a spokeswoman for the medical examiner’s office. She added that the medical examiner’s office did not have information on whether Ms. Richardson was an organ donor.

The official cause of death was an epidural hematoma. A hematoma is a collection of blood.

The description of Ms. Richardson’s behavior after she fell fits in with the initially subtle symptoms of the condition, said a brain surgeon not involved in her care, Dr. David J. Langer, the director of cerebrovascular neurosurgery at St. Luke’s-Roosevelt, Beth Israel and Long Island College Hospital, and an assistant professor at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine at Yeshiva University.

At first, the 45-year-old Ms. Richardson was up and about, acting normally, but she soon developed a crushing headache.

“People classically have a lucid interval, like what she had,” Dr. Langer said, adding that symptoms develop as the bleeding continues and the clot grows big enough to press on the brain. Epidural hematomas do show up on CT scans, and surgery is needed quickly to relieve the pressure, remove the clot and stop the bleeding. Ms. Richardson’s sudden death left not only sadness — Broadway will dim the marquee lights before its 8 p.m. performances on Thursday in her memory — but unsettling questions about how a seemingly minor accident could have caused such a grave injury.

A spokeswoman for the ski resort, Mont Tremblant, said Ms. Richardson — who was not wearing a helmet — fell on soft snow, did not appear to have hit her head, did not lose consciousness and joked about falling. But she immediately stopped skiing and returned to her hotel room, accompanied by her instructor and a member of the ski patrol. It is not clear whether she needed their help.

The spokeswoman said that the ski patroller advised Ms. Richardson to see a doctor, but that she declined to do so. The reason for that advice is not known. But people who take minor spills on ski slopes are not usually urged to see a doctor unless they are showing some sign of an injury.

About an hour after the fall, an ambulance was called and Ms. Richardson was taken to a small hospital about 20 minutes from the resort — one that has a CT scanner but not an MRI scanner. In addition, a spokesman there said, the hospital does not treat trauma cases, but stabilizes patients and then sends them to a larger hospital.

A few hours later, at about 5 p.m., Ms. Richardson was taken by ambulance to a larger hospital, Hôpital du Sacre-Coeur de Montreal, about 50 miles away. Citing Quebec’s privacy laws, hospital officials declined to describe her condition or say what tests or treatments she received there.

On Tuesday afternoon, about 24 hours after she fell, an ambulance took her from the Montreal hospital to the airport, from which she was flown to New York. She was then taken to Lenox Hill Hospital, where she died the next day.

The resort had no immediate comment on the medical examiner’s report of Ms. Richardson’s cause of death, but released a statement earlier on Thursday.

“Out of respect for the family, and their request for privacy, we will not comment further,” spokeswoman Lyne Lortie said.

In addition, it said its staff “intends to fully cooperate with any resulting investigations.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/20/he...aincnd.html?em
post #24 of 135 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 02:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Outrageous sequence of events. Seems like there was an inexplicable delay in treatment. The comment about MRI is irrelevant as CT scan is totally adequate to diagnose acute extra-axial hematomas. These blood clots are extremely time sensitive and rapid evacuation (of the hematoma) might have saved her life.
post #25 of 135 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 03:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Skiing is a sport that is practiced in remote areas. It is also expensive. Getting to the remote areas is costly and lodging is expensive, so most skiers have a reasonable disposable income.

There are no famous brain surgery centers located next to ski resorts in remote areas. There are some pretty good orthopedic centers in some of the larger, remotely located, ski areas.

Skiing is also dangerous. For ages the main perceived danger was breaking bones in your legs. I started skiing in the 1950's before safety bindings were invented. When they came on the market, because the sport was inherently dangerous and it required a relatively high disposable income, almost everyone bought safety bindings, almost immediately, and the old skis with those strap-in, non-safety bindings became building material for benches and wall decorations. Shortly, no "non-safety" bindings were available. In this country you cannot even get a shop to check out your bindings if they exceed the manufacturer's recommended calendar life. You HAVE to buy a new set of bindings once the old ones "expire." Which can be in as little as 5 years.

As the bindings improved the incidents of legs and ankles and ligaments and tendons being broken, stretched or torn diminished. The odd case of a head injury was reported, and especially when a celebrity suffered a head injury. Leg injuries did not disappear, but their frequency diminished to the point where head injuries took the headlines when a skiing accident was reported.

Most of us long time skiers bought helmets when they became available. It was just like buying safety bindings. It became part of the normal gear. Helmets today are lightweight and warm and often include adjustable vents to prevent them from being too warm, while they are shaped to fit googles and preclude gaps that generate frostbite around the eyes. They look strange on some people, especially little kids.

I have no idea why anyone would ski or board without a helmet. But people do. In this case a celebrity died. There has been no detailed report of the fall, and it is not for certain a helmet would have prevented the injury any more so than a safety binding is certain to prevent a leg injury. But the lack of a helmet stands out, just like not wearing seat belts stands out in Princess Diana's death (the body guard in the passenger front seat was the only survivor, and he was wearing a safety belt), as a leading cause of the severity of the injury. That the local medical capabilities were not up to saving Ms. Richardson's life is unfortunate, if in fact it was within any medical group's ability to do so. But, given skiing is not entirely safe, and it is practiced in remote areas, usually hours if not longer from truly capable medical facilities, the most prudent course of action is to use proper gear to prevent, or mitigate the seriousness of injuries.

It is tragic for the family and I feel for them. Hopefully others will learn from this and turn their attention to what they can do to prevent injuries instead of accusing the local, "likely ill-equipped and trained for other than the traditional leg injuries" medical staff of failing to save her.

Jim
post #26 of 135 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
There are no famous brain surgery centers located next to ski resorts in remote areas. There are some pretty good orthopedic centers in some of the larger, remotely located, ski areas.
It is tragic for the family and I feel for them. Hopefully others will learn from this and turn their attention to what they can do to prevent injuries instead of accusing the local, "likely ill-equipped and trained for other than the traditional leg injuries" medical staff of failing to save her.

Jim
There is more than one angle to any story especially a tragic one.

Ill equipped , remote, hick town hospital you say ? A 5 second search debunks that.

Quote:
The Hôpital du Sacré-Coeur de Montréal (English: Sacred Heart Hospital of Montreal) is a hospital in the Cartierville neighbourhood of Montreal, in Quebec, Canada.

It is one of the largest teaching hospitals affiliated with the Université de Montréal, and one of the largest hospitals in Quebec.[1] WIKI
It would even be fair to ask if Canada has ANY famous brain surgery centers.
post #27 of 135 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 04:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlfun View Post

Ill equipped , remote, hick town hospital you say ? A 5 second search debunks that.

You are suggesting the use of "hick town hospital." I am suggesting the local medical facility is tailored to the local needs. Which, for decades in ski resorts has been leg injuries.

When head injuries became more commonplace helmets were introduced. They are now ubiquitous on the slopes. And head injuries are relatively rare. Leg injuries, even with safety bindings, very sophisticated and expensive safety bindings mind you, still outnumber head injuries. But the number of leg injuries has declined "per skier hour" steadily from the 1950's as safety bindings have become more sophisticated. So, the equipment works at preventing serious leg injuries. The same is very likely true of the use of helmets, although I doubt there is as much data to support that conclusion as there is to show that modern safety bindings reduce the risk of serious leg injuries.

According to Google the hospital you cited is about 80 miles from the ski resort and they project without any traffic issues the trip would take an hour and half. Not likely to be considered in the neighborhood, and not likely to be considered immediately available for an emergency head trauma.

I am not aware of the time table associated with Ms. Richardson's accident from the event to the time she got to the hospital and when the condition was recognized as being passed the point of no return. In any case, a two hour transit to a facility in a time critical situation is less than ideal. I am sure, had she broken a leg, it could have been set competently by the indigenous medical team.

Use the safety equipment developed for the sport you are participating in and up your chances of avoiding serious injuries. Not a complicated message. Why is it so difficult for such a simple message to sink in?

Jim
post #28 of 135 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 04:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2008
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p100 View Post
Oh, I forgot, about two years ago Arnold Schwarzenegger fell during skiing and broke his leg. It was a bad break - he had to have surgery on his leg. He is lucky I guess.
No, his just plain fat. And Ood may I add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker-1999 S600 View Post
the comparison between a V8 and a V12 isn't a decision, it's an opportunity.
post #29 of 135 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 04:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
One must ask, WTH were the Montreal hospitals doing in the first 24 hrs ?
Hospitally stuff, just like they always do.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #30 of 135 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 04:38 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:

What are you trying to imply? Do you think Canada has inadequate health services because it's not set up like ours?
Well let me tell you... Didn't I have a thread where I was posting from the hospital while waiting for SIX hours + after I got hit by a wood plank in the head?
How about the thread I started about the IT kid at my work that died after a car accident while WAITING FOR HOURS in the emergency room? He bleed internally to death and no one cared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in