Actress Natasha Richardson dies after skiing accident - Page 11 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 135 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 07:19 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
"Take me home, country road" I hate that song. My mom embarrassed the shit out of me by sending me a tape where I was in boarding school (high school) where SHE was singing that song while my step father was on the guitar. F'kin hippies!
My best friends father had a ginormous Chris Craft and let us take it out as long as we paid for fuel. The only problem was it was named the "Delta Dawn" We overcompensated for the gayness of the name with alcohol and were the scourge of every harbor master from Willmette to Burnham harbor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 135 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 07:24 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillKill View Post
My best friends father had a ginormous Chris Craft and let us take it out as long as we paid for fuel. The only problem was it was named the "Delta Dawn" We overcompensated for the gayness of the name with alcohol and were the scourge of every harbor master from Willmette to Burnham harbor.
You got to do what you got to do, as long as you keep movin
post #103 of 135 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 07:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlfun View Post
Yes, indeed, there are only 3 level 1 centers in the entire bay area : San Francisco, Stanford and San Jose but air lift is standard care for major cases.
You have 3 Level 1 centers in an area the size of and a population exceeding 7 Million.

Now, let's look at Mount Shasta Ski Area since this topic is on skiing, not beautiful San Fransisco, which if I recall doesn't really get the base required for good downhill skiing. How many Level 1 Trauma Centers are there, or within 150 Miles?

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #104 of 135 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 07:25 PM
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
Milfy, you're in the Bay area?
post #105 of 135 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
When they went upstairs to kiss Morgan good night, she complained of a headache. "Because of Natasha, we called the pediatrician immediately. And by the time I got off the phone with him, Morgan was sobbing, her head hurt so much," McCracken says.
Don't Miss

* 'Minor' head injuries can turn serious rapidly, experts say
* People.com: Natasha Richardson: Tragic delays after her fatal fall
* Skiers can cut risks by wearing helmets, experts say

The McCrackens took Morgan to the emergency room at LakeWest Hospital in neighboring Willoughby, where doctors ordered a CT scan and immediately put Morgan on a helicopter to Rainbow Babies and Children's Hospital in Cleveland, with her father by her side.

"I knew it was bad when she had to get there by helicopter in six minutes, instead of the 30 minutes it would have taken to get to Cleveland in an ambulance," McCracken said.

When the helicopter arrived at Rainbow, the McCrackens were greeted by Dr. Alan Cohen, the hospital's chief of pediatric neurosurgery. He whisked Morgan into the operating room, pausing for a moment to tell McCracken that his daughter had the same injury as Richardson: an epidural hematoma.
Natasha's lesson helps save Ohio girl - CNN.com
post #106 of 135 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Milfy, you're in the Bay area?
Yes.
post #107 of 135 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 07:26 PM
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlfun View Post
Yes.
All this time I thought you were in Iowa
post #108 of 135 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
All this time I thought you were in Iowa
As far as I can be from Bawlmer but I do live in the same state as Dave
post #109 of 135 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 07:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow View Post

I know you're not talking to me. I firmly believe that people who say if they died doing what they loved, meant "of natural causes".

Does anyone think that John Denver was singing "Take Me Home, Country Roads"? No. He was screaming his ass off wishing he'd never taken those flight lessons.
No, the second part was directed at the people who think an "area" with 60,000 people needs to have a helicopter, pilot and medical team on standby at the local ski slope to be prepared for any and all emergencies and that the local people should pay for it with higher local taxes or higher ski tickets, just because they think it would be better for everyone.

And I agree. John Denver was likely wishing he didn't learn to fly at the point where what he loved to do was about to end his life. No one enjoys activities, no matter how risky, because they think it will kill them. They think it won't, and when they are right, it gives them a rush that makes them think it is something they love doing.

Skiing is also a physical activity that is pretty demanding - strength, endurance and skill, and all at typically elevated altitudes and in cold weather. The down side has always been injuries. The most common have been substantially reduced in number and severity by safety equipment - boots, bindings and skis now have features to protect you in a fall. But nothing is infallible. There are still injuries and the occasional equipment failure. It is part of the decision making process when you elect to ski. No one forces you to ski. You choose to ski, and then pay through the nose for the decision. Helmets came to be standard equipment for skiers about a decade or more ago. And for snowboarders. If you ski, it is highly recommended that you use one. But, unlike safety equipment like bindings and ski brakes, you can ski without them. I would be happier to see the use of helmets mandated before the cost of a helicopter, a pilot, and a medical team at each ski resort is mandated.

Jim
post #110 of 135 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post

And I agree. John Denver was likely wishing he didn't learn to fly at the point where what he loved to do was about to end his life. No one enjoys activities, no matter how risky, because they think it will kill them. They think it won't, and when they are right, it gives them a rush that makes them think it is something they love doing.
Jim
I wouldn't speculate on how John Denver met his maker but I wouldn't underestimate the power of the human spirit either. How else do you explain those who sacrifice themselves to save others ? Some of these "daredevils" are fully aware of the dangers but fully enjoy the activities they engage in. Anecdotes (apochypal ?) abound of WWII pilots saluting before their demise, climbers cutting their own ropes etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in