What is with the French? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Outstanding Contributor
 
keyhole's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Location: Norfolk. UK
Posts: 10,462
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What is with the French?

Is it good news guys? The French want to be pals again.

Charles Bremner - Times Online - WBLG: France takes back the Americans

President Sarkozy takes the plunge today and and explains why, 43 years since General de Gaulle threw American forces out of France, he is taking his country back into the core of the US-led Atlantic alliance. France's return to the military command will be formally proclaimed at the NATO summit in Strasbourg on April 3.

It's a big step, politically and symbolically because it reverses the act which defined France's sense of special destiny, independent from US power and not quite part of the Western camp during the Cold War. Sarkozy's opponents in the Socialist opposition and his own Gaullist camp are piling in on him, accusing him of betraying the sovereignty that de Gaulle reclaimed when he wrote a curt letter to President Johnson in March 1966. The general told LBJ that he wanted Nato headquarters out of the Paris suburbs and all American military personnel out of France.
keyhole is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 06:06 PM
DP
Moderator
 
DP's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Location: Chesapeak Bay
Posts: 64,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Eh bien oui, foutez le camps!
DP is offline  
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 07:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 300SD
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 11,191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
And we should pull US troops out of every country we are in. We have no business being there.
p100 is offline  
post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 07:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Location: Ratville
Posts: 24,029
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyhole View Post
Is it good news guys? The French want to be pals again.
$10B will buy one some friends.

Quote:
Charles Bremner - Times Online - WBLG: France takes back the Americans

President Sarkozy takes the plunge today and and explains why, 43 years since General de Gaulle threw American forces out of France, he is taking his country back into the core of the US-led Atlantic alliance. France's return to the military command will be formally proclaimed at the NATO summit in Strasbourg on April 3.

It's a big step, politically and symbolically because it reverses the act which defined France's sense of special destiny, independent from US power and not quite part of the Western camp during the Cold War. Sarkozy's opponents in the Socialist opposition and his own Gaullist camp are piling in on him, accusing him of betraying the sovereignty that de Gaulle reclaimed when he wrote a curt letter to President Johnson in March 1966. The general told LBJ that he wanted Nato headquarters out of the Paris suburbs and all American military personnel out of France.
mlfun is offline  
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 08:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlfun View Post
$10B will buy one some friends.
$10B won't even buy friendship with a small Banana Republic.




Maybe a Gap.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Outstanding Contributor
 
keyhole's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Location: Norfolk. UK
Posts: 10,462
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwood MB View Post
.... if you really want to see the US energy independant, look to the French. They are sooo far ahead of the rest of the World in the FUSION REACTOR developement, it is to behold true leadership........................
As France has no oil and little coal they were forced to go down the nuclear route for electricity. State controlled EDF produces the majority of all French electricity, and they have even bought up utility companies in the UK. However under French law no foreign country can take ownership of any utility company in France.

But would the US agree to nationalise it's energy production?
keyhole is offline  
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 08:49 AM
DP
Moderator
 
DP's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Location: Chesapeak Bay
Posts: 64,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyhole View Post
As France has no oil and little coal they were forced to go down the nuclear route for electricity. State controlled EDF produces the majority of all French electricity, and they have even bought up utility companies in the UK. However under French law no foreign country can take ownership of any utility company in France.

But would the US agree to nationalise it's energy production?
I think EDF is buying a large share of Constellation Energy right here in Baltimore. What the US needs is energy regulation because the poor here get shafted; for instance, here in Baltimore we have almost 18,000 that are going to have their electricity and gas cut because they couldn't deal with this year price hike of 100%, that's right 100%. My combined electric and gas bill on average for the last four or five years was $700 a month during the winter, this year I am paying well above $1,200 a month and that my friend in many parts of the country and the world for sure is a hefty bill. It's higher than my mortgage, insurance and property taxes combined.
This doubling of prices happened because of deregulation that was sold to the people of Maryland by the power company as a good thing because it will bring in competition thus lower energy rates. Bullshit! Constellation/BGE (Baltimore Gas and Electric) has become a monopoly and there not a single competitor in sight. PEPCO (Potomac Electric Co) didn't even bother crossing territorial boundaries, they all stayed put. Doesn't that sound like collusion? Do they deserve to continue operating like this?
DP is offline  
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 09:22 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
DEVOURS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2006 B 200 & Audi A6..
Location: Lake in the woods... Canada
Posts: 5,785
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Hydro-Quebec sells a ton of electricity due to our extensive surplus of hydro-electric power, to many of the northeastern states at very reasonable and steady rates.

We in Quebec have had many small rate hikes in the last couple of years but never to the point of doubling.

How can responsible government allow such increases and the subsequent removal of essential services from homes and families?
DEVOURS is offline  
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 09:31 AM
DP
Moderator
 
DP's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Location: Chesapeak Bay
Posts: 64,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Lecours View Post
Hydro-Quebec sells a ton of electricity due to our extensive surplus of hydro-electric power, to many of the northeastern states at very reasonable and steady rates.

We in Quebec have had many small rate hikes in the last couple of years but never to the point of doubling.

How can responsible government allow such increases and the subsequent removal of essential services from homes and families?
It's done under the guise of capitalism and free enterprise. In reality it is price fixing and consumer gouging at its finest and all legally executed.
Their excuse is that prices were so low and are still low and must adjust to where they should be so that the competition will come in once there is a viable market based on rates that are high enough to make it worth the investment. What they are forgetting is that they will have no customers as homes in cities like Baltimore get boarded up not from lack of jobs or some social maladies but from greed.
DP is offline  
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 09:52 AM
~BANNED~
 
Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle: MBZ 300SD
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
My combined electric and gas bill on average for the last four or five years was $700 a month during the winter, this year I am paying well above $1,200 a month
Are you nuts?
When I pay $100/month combine I think about a vegetable oil making my own generator/water heater and colect more used vegi oil.
At your numbers for sure I would do it.
AndreiRN is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    To be French Botnst Off-Topic 1 07-12-2008 04:30 PM
    The French Beat US DP Off-Topic 16 01-17-2008 05:38 PM
    What the French toast? Digmenow Off-Topic 2 11-10-2007 01:24 PM
    French Trip Virsalutator G-Class 0 04-25-2006 12:38 PM
    The only thing the French do right Andrew2004az Off-Topic 78 04-13-2006 08:40 PM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome