Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiRN View Post
Are you nuts?
When I pay $100/month combine I think about a vegetable oil making my own generator/water heater and colect more used vegi oil.
At your numbers for sure I would do it.
Aside from posting on BWOT I have a life you know! Well, here in Baltimore there are so many zoning issues with generating your own power. It's a racket!
I once put in a vertical wind generator that I built with the kids, a day after the meter man from BGE saw it I saw a city inspector walking by with a notepad. Four days later I got a fine for $500 and order to pull it down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 11:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2006 B 200 & Audi A6..
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
I once put in a vertical wind generator that I built with the kids, a day after the meter man from BGE saw it I saw a city inspector walking by with a notepad. Four days later I got a fine for $500 and order to pull it down.
Time for a move Drew....... and time for a smaller home ....with a larger garage.

You could buy a lot or a home up here and build a huge wind generator if you like.

You'd also like the Hydro meter maid a lot. No tickets from her, just a lot of lip.
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 11:38 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: w204 (C350ELE)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Are you nuts?
When I pay $100/month combine I think about a vegetable oil making my own generator/water heater and colect more used vegi oil.
Well, there you go, your City Government in action, as drewprof illustrated. Besides, it can be a royal pain even without the fine: you have to get the power generator, fuel, maintenance person (24 hrs. for 100% dependency), and redundant measures to face an emergency. So, it's not so simple.

What puzzles me is how blatant cartel techniques are tolerated the world over, for all aspects of energy, leaving a good part of the population below affordability of minimum standards. Fortunately, some government help reaches the extreme cases, but most get no relief.

The oxymoron is that is nothing that 50,000 volts applied to the right guys could not cure.
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 03:32 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle: MBZ 300SD
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
1. Aside from posting on BWOT I have a life you know!
2. Well, here in Baltimore there are so many zoning issues with generating your own power. It's a racket!
1. Really???
2. It is YOUR choice after all to give your taxes to the city inspector or to obey the law. I obey only the one I agree with and hide as much as possible.

A 240D engine will quietly make you 10kw for few hrs a day to charge a battery pack. Now in Cali you can sell it to your electric company with a reversable meter. And hot water on top of the electricity.
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 05:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
.....................surrender monkeys:

Human Breast Milk Cheese Made in France Why Travel To France

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Seneca
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 06:17 PM
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
1. Really???
2. It is YOUR choice after all to give your taxes to the city inspector or to obey the law. I obey only the one I agree with and hide as much as possible.

A 240D engine will quietly make you 10kw for few hrs a day to charge a battery pack. Now in Cali you can sell it to your electric company with a reversable meter. And hot water on top of the electricity.
I would hate to be your tax auditor
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 08:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Lecours View Post
Hydro-Quebec sells a ton of electricity due to our extensive surplus of hydro-electric power, to many of the northeastern states at very reasonable and steady rates.

We in Quebec have had many small rate hikes in the last couple of years but never to the point of doubling.

How can responsible government allow such increases and the subsequent removal of essential services from homes and families?
Quote:
It's done under the guise of capitalism and free enterprise. In reality it is price fixing and consumer gouging at its finest and all legally executed.
Their excuse is that prices were so low and are still low and must adjust to where they should be so that the competition will come in once there is a viable market based on rates that are high enough to make it worth the investment. What they are forgetting is that they will have no customers as homes in cities like Baltimore get boarded up not from lack of jobs or some social maladies but from greed.
Also note that cities, counties and school districts all get a tax percentage off of the gross utility bills. It is not in their best fiscal interest to keep the prices low. It cuts into their revenue stream.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 09:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Are you nuts?
You live in a climate that is much more temperate than those of us in the midwest and east. During January we AVERAGED 20 degrees which meant that our $630 gas bill was a bit of a surprise when temperature accompanied rate increases.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 09:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
1. Really???

I am looking very seriously at taking an old 240D engine, building a heat exchanger and heating the pool so we can use it more than 5 months of the year. I think it would be very inexpensive in the big picture and wouldn't require that much engineering [once the privacy fence is up].

McBear,
Kentucky

post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 09:06 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
How far will the engine be from the pool? Diesel smoke and noise is bad juju.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in