post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
At the core of Obama's plan is dishonesty

WASHINGTON -- Forget the pork. Forget the waste. Forget the 8,570 earmarks in a bill supported by a president who poses as the scourge of earmarks. Forget the "$2 trillion dollars in savings" that "we have already identified," $1.6 trillion of which President Obama's budget director later admits is the "savings" of not continuing the surge in Iraq until 2019 -- 11 years after George Bush ended it, and eight years after even Bush would have had us out of Iraq completely.

Forget all of this. This is run-of-the-mill budget trickery. True, Obama's tricks come festooned with strings of zeros tacked onto the end. But that's a matter of scale, not principle.

All presidents do that. But few undertake the kind of brazen deception at the heart of Obama's radically transformative economic plan, a rhetorical sleight of hand so smoothly offered that few noticed.

The logic of Obama's address to Congress went like this:

"Our economy did not fall into decline overnight," he averred. Indeed, it all began before the housing crisis. What did we do wrong? We are paying for past sins in three principal areas: energy, health care, and education -- importing too much oil and not finding new sources of energy (as in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and the Outer Continental Shelf?), not reforming health care, and tolerating too many bad schools.

The "day of reckoning" has now arrived. And because "it is only by understanding how we arrived at this moment that we'll be able to lift ourselves out of this predicament," Obama has come to redeem us with his far-seeing program of universal, heavily nationalized health care; a cap-and-trade tax on energy; and a major federalization of education with universal access to college as the goal.

Amazing. As an explanation of our current economic difficulties, this is total fantasy. As a cure for rapidly growing joblessness, a massive destruction of wealth, a deepening worldwide recession, this is perhaps the greatest non sequitur ever foisted upon the American people.

At the very center of our economic near-depression is a credit bubble, a housing collapse and a systemic failure of the entire banking system. One can come up with a host of causes: Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac pushed by Washington (and greed) into improvident loans, corrupted bond-ratings agencies, insufficient regulation of new and exotic debt instruments, the easy money policy of Alan Greenspan's Fed, irresponsible bankers pushing (and then unloading in packaged loan instruments) highly dubious mortgages, greedy house-flippers, deceitful homebuyers.

The list is long. But the list of causes of the collapse of the financial system does not include the absence of universal health care, let alone of computerized medical records. Nor the absence of an industry-killing cap-and-trade carbon levy. Nor the lack of college graduates. Indeed, one could perversely make the case that, if anything, the proliferation of overeducated, Gucci-wearing, smart-ass MBAs inventing ever more sophisticated and opaque mathematical models and debt instruments helped get us into this credit catastrophe in the first place.

And yet with our financial house on fire, Obama makes clear both in his speech and his budget that the essence of his presidency will be the transformation of health care, education and energy. Four months after winning the election, six weeks after his swearing in, Obama has yet to unveil a plan to deal with the banking crisis.

What's going on? "You never want a serious crisis to go to waste," said Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel. "This crisis provides the opportunity for us to do things that you could not do before."

Things. Now we know what they are. The markets' recent precipitous decline is a reaction not just to the absence of any plausible bank rescue plan, but also to the suspicion that Obama sees the continuing financial crisis as usefully creating the psychological conditions -- the sense of crisis bordering on fear-itself panic -- for enacting his "Big Bang" agenda to federalize and/or socialize health care, education and energy, the commanding heights of post-industrial society.

Clever politics, but intellectually dishonest to the core. Health, education and energy -- worthy and weighty as they may be -- are not the cause of our financial collapse. And they are not the cure. The fraudulent claim that they are both cause and cure is the rhetorical device by which an ambitious president intends to enact the most radical agenda of social transformation seen in our lifetime.

HeraldNet: At the core of Obama's plan is dishonesty

Don't believe everything you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 12:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You are so quick to jump to conclusions nowadays. Live with it, your Party lost. Give the man at least a year to prove his stay.

All the porks and wastes you mentioned are from last the Administrations and they were earmarked prior to January 2009. Get over yourself already.

By the way, why don't you stuff those pork up your ass?

'95 R129
'04 G35.5 BS
'10 X204
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
I am apolitical and therefore have no party. At the rate he is going we won't have a country left in a year. Someone needs to stop him now!

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 12:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Bwahahahahahaahahhahahahahahaha

You have no Party?????

When did that change???

Are you off your meds, again????

'95 R129
'04 G35.5 BS
'10 X204
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 12:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: My Two Left Feet
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
I am apolitical and therefore have no party. At the rate he is going we won't have a country left in a year. Someone needs to stop him now!
Your a serious lame who really needs to lay off the Obama bashing. You have no idea where you want to go when it comes to your support for our country. You continue to post annoying ass threads that honestly is sucking the life out of BWOT. You really need to try and limit your threads to your own emotions and feelings and things you would do. Several months ago you where all optimistic about him, now your saying we won't have a country left only after 3 months of him in office. If in four years he fucks up then fine, he fucks up, we as American's will have a choice on a new POTUS and we will over come. We all are suffering as a whole country do to the past mistakes and yet you think Obama and his administration is going to fly out the gate with all the miracles in just 3 months, its going to take an additional ten years for each day Obama tries to make a right decisions to take effect. Its going to take 50+ years for America to reestablish all of what was lost from the past 8 years and I doubt at this point we can.

3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elau View Post
Bwahahahahahaahahhahahahahahaha

You have no Party?????

When did that change???

Are you off your meds, again????
I have never said I was a member of any party. In fact, I have stated that a number of times in past posts.

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybydesignw210 View Post
Your a serious lame who really needs to lay off the Obama bashing. You have no idea where you want to go when it comes to your support for our country. You continue to post annoying ass threads that honestly is sucking the life out of BWOT. You really need to try and limit your threads to your own emotions and feelings and things you would do. Several months ago you where all optimistic about him, now your saying we won't have a country left only after 3 months of him in office. If in four years he fucks up then fine, he fucks up, we as American's will have a choice on a new POTUS and we will over come. We all are suffering as a whole country do to the past mistakes and yet you think Obama and his administration is going to fly out the gate with all the miracles in just 3 months, its going to take an additional ten years for each day Obama tries to make a right decisions to take effect. Its going to take 50+ years for America to reestablish all of what was lost from the past 8 years and I doubt at this point we can.
I was optimistic, and am still hopeful he will come to his senses and stop w/ all the policies and pronouncements that are wreaking havoc w/ our nation and economy. IMO, he has already done more harm in eight weeks than most presidents can do in eight years. And I have to tell you it is all the more painful because I did have so much hope for him. It really pisses me off because I was actually bragging him up to friends and family early on. Now I look like a fool!

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 01:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
I have never said I was a member of any party. In fact, I have stated that a number of times in past posts.
Your vehement support of Bush speaks volume itself. Your denial of Party affiliation only makes you look more trivial.

'95 R129
'04 G35.5 BS
'10 X204
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
My support of President Bush's policies had nothing to do w/ his political party affiliation--any more than my concern about President Obama's policies have anything to do w/ his party affiliation.

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 01:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: My Two Left Feet
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I was optimistic, and am still hopeful he will come to his senses and stop w/ all the policies and pronouncements that are wreaking havoc w/ our nation and economy. IMO, he has already done more harm in eight weeks than most presidents can do in eight years. And I have to tell you it is all the more painful because I did have so much hope for him. It really pisses me off because I was actually bragging him up to friends and family early on. Now I look like a fool!
Then just for entertainment sake, post the top ten things you would do after taking office of a Bush Administration. What would you do to jump start the economy, to change the housing and financial debacles that Obama inherited? How would you approach the war, while bringing our troops back safely? How would you tackle the energy crises, or how some of our biggest economies and sectors are still crumbling at the feet do to mistakes of the past? Honestly, if you can list in your own words, no cut and paste, but in your own words what you would do as POTUS after what you witnessed the Bush Admin do to this country? Don't tell me what you wouldn't have done, but what you would do.

3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in