post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 08:55 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
We live in a world where the economy - the combination of what we make, what we spend, the value of investments, etc., is something that functions EXCLUSIVELY because people BELIEVE everything is "good". The numbers scarcely matter for fuck all - if people believe something is shit, it's shit. If they believe it's the 2nd coming of Christ, then the rapture is upon us.

WHY THEN does the news media in particular, and everyone including our President, continue to reinforce negativity and pessimism rather than positivity and optimism? I'm not suggesting we make stuff up, but maybe if everyone in front of a microphone or a word processor just SHUT UP about the economy for a month or so, we can get out from under the immense psychological burden that results from the nonstop drumbeat of "OH MOTHER OF FUCK WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!"

There's TONS of reasons that one could justifiably be pessimistic. I'm saying fuck that anyway. It doesn't cost us anything to try it out (I can hear Bear's response now, things keep getting worse even if you ignore it blah blah blah - ). Not EVERY bit of negative financial news merits nonstop discussion.

Ahh fuck it. Here's some fainting goats.

I agree with the spirit of this post. Unfortunately, shit hit the fan already and there is shit all over the place that needs to be cleaned up. So, rather than speak only of the fact that there is more shit hitting the fan, we might start to try to speak positively of the efforts that have been undertaken to stem the flow of shit into the fan and then clean some of the shit that has spattered all over the place.

We need to be focused on shutting off the flow of shit and the clean up, not just that fact that there is a lot of shit and it all smells like shit.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
I agree with the spirit of this post. Unfortunately, shit hit the fan already and there is shit all over the place that needs to be cleaned up. So, rather than speak only of the fact that there is more shit hitting the fan, we might start to try to speak positively of the efforts that have been undertaken to stem the flow of shit into the fan and then clean some of the shit that has spattered all over the place.

We need to be focused on shutting off the flow of shit and the clean up, not just that fact that there is a lot of shit and it all smells like shit.

Jim
Finally somebody gets it. I owe Jim another beer (I'm losing count of what I owe to whom, so please don't hold it against me).
post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Surely A Large Human

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
And what is it with gay guys and wolves?
post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 12:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post

Jim
Einstein, how do I get hold of some TARP and some PORK ?
That will be a positively positive contribution to my own stimulated recovery plan.

What a minute. What did you say ? I need to be f*cked first ?

Screw it then.
post #25 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 01:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwood MB View Post
There is always a Sale at Pennys, after reading this thread I now feel so much better, Think I will call my Broker and Buy some CiTi, some B of A and a whole bunch of AIG. There is a Sale going on there tooooooooo..........
Here is the thing with AIG. Today AIG is at $0.33. So I spent $1000. That is 3000 shares. At the worst I am out $1000. If they split into separate companies or if they straighten out over time to say $3.00 I do OK. Even if they go down to $0.15 I only lose $500.

There really is no loss in that game.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #26 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 01:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Finally somebody gets it. I owe Jim another beer (I'm losing count of what I owe to whom, so please don't hold it against me).
I think a lot of folks get it. But the concern is that if we don't fully look at the history and what got us where we are we can't fix the problems. And we certainly won't learn from the mistakes of the past if a good percentage of the population still doesn't understand either the gravity of the problem or the causes of them.

Sometimes you teach lessons by just moving forward and sometimes you teach lessons by driving the point home again and again and again to make sure it doesn't happen ever again.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #27 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Surely A Large Human

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
I didn't say anything about burying our head in the sand; I'm saying that the lead story on every - EVERY - news show doesn't have to be how shitty the economic news is. That's not news. We all know it's shitty. Move on.

My problem with continuing to reinforce this "lesson" is that they're lessons we've already learned and CHOSE to ignore in favor of greed. EVERYONE knows that's a path to trouble, and it deterred the offenders not. So what the fuck. The way to fix this problem is to have reliable people doing their goddamned job, and people with oversight of THEM doing their job reliably, and people watching THEM. It didn't happen, and now it's over. Let's MOVE ON already.

This shit is making me sound more liberal every damned day!
post #28 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Brentwood MB

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Qman, you are not sounding Liberal. You are sounding like someone who REALLY cares. I agree, WE all need to move on. As Jim pointed out before, there is alot of SHIT, and we need to clean up what we can, but most importantly we ALL need to stop throwing more into the fan.:
post #29 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 05:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
I didn't say anything about burying our head in the sand; I'm saying that the lead story on every - EVERY - news show doesn't have to be how shitty the economic news is. That's not news. We all know it's shitty. Move on.

My problem with continuing to reinforce this "lesson" is that they're lessons we've already learned and CHOSE to ignore in favor of greed. EVERYONE knows that's a path to trouble, and it deterred the offenders not. So what the fuck. The way to fix this problem is to have reliable people doing their goddamned job, and people with oversight of THEM doing their job reliably, and people watching THEM. It didn't happen, and now it's over. Let's MOVE ON already.

This shit is making me sound more liberal every damned day!
I would love to fully agree that yes, everyone gets it. That everyone has already learned and chose to ignore in favor of greed.

But I can just look at the microcosm of this board and make a list of half a dozen people who still don't understand what caused this crisis or have a basiscunderstanding of just how severe it actually is or, MOST IMPORTANT what the future can look like with the various options. And, contrary to some of my snarkier comments I think most on this board are pretty damned smart and SHOULD have the intelligence to understand the reasons and ramifications.

At my class conference call last week we discussed the media's responsibility in the past couple of years. You folks know MY view about talking heads and folks that make money from churn. Well, most of the group are either producers or executive producers at the major networks or news publications. MOST don't like my view but nobody disagreed with it [that annoying proof thing]. We discussed just how long they pushed the "booming economy" when independent economists were saying otherwise. Several of the producers admitted they would not book those guys because they were "downers" and advertisers would bitch whenever they were on.

Let me repeat that. When an Economist would come on a financial program and suggest future calamity advertisers would call the network and bitch and threaten to pull advertising.

Now that there is cat is out of the bag and all the financial groups are washed in blood the more realistic newscasts no longer get threatening calls. The deeply discounted ads are just not worth that much to the networks so the threats are moot.

Media is, whether right or wrong trying now to finally inform and brace folks for what is to come. Wifie, who expects to be on the next IBM layoff list has the same comments about CNN and Fox's "what to do if you are laid off" reports. Her main thought is "USE NANCY GRACE AS AN OBJECT LESSON!!!"

Soon enough they will move to the next level. All the quarterlys are in and there are no big reports or MAJOR legislation for any Stimulus packages on the near horizon. Media has a notoriously short attention span.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #30 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 05:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Here is the thing with AIG. Today AIG is at $0.33. So I spent $1000. That is 3000 shares. At the worst I am out $1000. If they split into separate companies or if they straighten out over time to say $3.00 I do OK. Even if they go down to $0.15 I only lose $500.

There really is no loss in that game.
Normally I don't quote my own posts but this was somewhat funny.

I bought 3000 shares of AIG today at $0.33. It might go to ground and I will be out $1000. It might dilute common shares like WaMu did and again, I will be out. But it might stabilizes and grow as this thing straightens out.

But the humor [and reason for the post.post] is this. I spent $1,000. Two years ago 3,000 shares of AIG would have cost me $210,000. The times, they are a'changin'.

McBear,
Kentucky

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in