I bet Volcker is sorry he joined this sorry ass team - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 11:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlfun View Post
Multitasking baby !

Is it possible NONE of the candidates are tax clean ?

What a train wreck, instead of the A team I expected, we get a bare bones team headed by a tax dodger.
I don't think they care what YOU expected.

And the economics team is at least the A-Team. Even Hannibal Smith had to formulate a plan.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 11:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplinville View Post
I agree...Clinton's bill causing banks to make loans to people that couldn't afford them, Barney Frank's lying to the house about the banking industry's well being. I agree with you...these are the ones to blame
And what bill was "Clinton's Bill"?

And Barney Frank was a member of Congress, not testifying before it, where was the MAJORITY during that time and what were THEY doing about it?

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 11:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplinville View Post
DOW increases are explained as the dot coms and artificially inflated stock prices
Now that's just funny.

So please explain away the doubling of the GDP during that same January 1993 to January 2001 period.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 11:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
This is serious.
According to treasury they have already got 50 political appointees staffed up and these are just two that have withdrawn.

My bet is their previous work has issues that conflict with the current Administration. It might be why Volcker made his comment , to try and push Nazareth, with whom he has previous work.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Moderately subtle

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
And what bill was "Clinton's Bill"?

And Barney Frank was a member of Congress, not testifying before it, where was the MAJORITY during that time and what were THEY doing about it?
You really should ignore those posts. One of these days, somebody will post something like:

"Here's a hypothetical for you. If you were elected Speaker of the House in 2007 and knew what you knew back then, what would your agenda have been? Was the state of the economy back then in a more manageable, recoverable situation? What did that new Congress do?"

Or something like that.

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
According to treasury they have already got 50 political appointees staffed up and these are just two that have withdrawn.

My bet is their previous work has issues that conflict with the current Administration. It might be why Volcker made his comment , to try and push Nazareth, with whom he has previous work.
Nice try Bear.

Nazareth was for the No. 2 post, so hardly a minor hiccup.
I wonder if they had a problem with the name since she had been already vetted.

Quote:
WASHINGTON, March 5 (Reuters) - The top contender for the number two job at the U.S. Treasury, former Securities and Exchange Commissioner Annette Nazareth, has withdrawn from consideration, a source familiar with the move said on Thursday.
Nazareth, who had been vetted for the job but not yet nominated, could not be immediately reached for comment on the matter.
Top pick for No. 2 US Treasury job withdaws-source | Deals | Regulatory News | Reuters

Last edited by mlfun; 03-06-2009 at 08:02 PM.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 09:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfreeman View Post
You really should ignore those posts. One of these days, somebody will post something like:

"Here's a hypothetical for you. If you were elected Speaker of the House in 2007 and knew what you knew back then, what would your agenda have been? Was the state of the economy back then in a more manageable, recoverable situation? What did that new Congress do?"

Or something like that.
So, new flowers in the halls of Congress would be a bad answer?

McBear,
Kentucky

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 09:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Nice try Bear.

Nazareth was for the No. 2 post, so hardly a minor hiccup.
I wonder if they had a problem with the name since she had been already vetted.
and there is the key word.

I didn't say it was not significant, just that it was not all that important. Since she had NOT BEEN NOMINATED YET we have to assume that she was just "in the pool". If she had been that important I would guess the nomination would have already occurred. But then again, it is just a guess since this is a story that is not really a story until we get the who, what, when, where, why and how.

But with many of today's journalists, we will be lucky to get 4/6.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 06:31 AM
Moderately subtle

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Quote:
So, new flowers in the halls of Congress would be a bad answer?
Yes . . .

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
If President Barack Obama wants to boost confidence in his economic recovery plan, he’s going to have to assure the markets that there isn’t just one guy working on it.

Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner is trying to stabilize the nation’s banking industry, implement a housing rescue plan and prop up a plunging stock market – all with about 18 vacant senior positions, virtually the entire upper echelon of his department.

The staff is so faceless that lobbyists have begun trading jokes about a “ghost” bureaucracy, given the many empty picture frames hanging on the department’s walls.

The pressures on Geithner’s schedule were evident on Friday.

The government announcement that another 650,000 people lost their jobs in February sent the market into yet another decline. Meanwhile, the architect of the stimulus package aimed at stemming job losses was attending a task force meeting on rescuing the auto industry.

Geithner’s lack of staff has begun to worry fellow Democrats.

“I worry about the administration, especially with Treasury, the ability to -- to get your team around you,” said Sen. Tom Carper, (D-Del.) said to Geithner at a hearing this week. “Your deputy secretary and your undersecretaries, assistant -- how are we doing there because you need -- obviously, you need help.”
Treasury island: Geithner's lost crew - Jeanne Cummings and Lisa Lerer - POLITICO.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in