Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
This is what a conservative sounds like

I thought perhaps some of our more mentally challenged RINO's who use the Rush Limbaugh program to lend something resembling validity to their otherwise ambiguous hatred, could stand to see what a real conservative sounds like when they write.

Quote:
March 3, 2009

Greetings,

I wanted to take this opportunity to follow-up with you regarding your previous email about the status of the economic stabilization legislation, otherwise known as the financial sector bailout. I have become very concerned with the way taxpayer funds have been used. I remain convinced that if the legislation had been implemented as originally intended our nation would be much better off now. However, the irresponsible use outside the scope of the law troubles me, and I appreciate the chance to update you on such a critical issue.

Since the passage of the economic stabilization legislation, I have had several concerns with the implementation of the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP), which is the main component of the economic rescue package. The program was originally designed to buy troubled assets from financial institutions, essentially removing them from the balance sheets which would instill confidence in investment, and thereby restore credit markets. However, in the weeks and months since TARP's implementation, I fear that the authority of the program has ranged outside the scope of its original intent.

The Treasury Department seems to have completely disregarded the original focus of TARP, and has now shifted to a new course of action. Instead of purchasing the troubled assets, the Treasury Department is now directly purchasing equity stakes in major financial institutions. This is an about face from the original intent and purpose of the $700 billion, and calls into question the judgment of those in charge of managing the taxpayer funds included in this economic rescue.

The Treasury Department greatly expanded its authority when it shifted TARP's original purpose from addressing the systemic risk in the financial system to picking winners and losers in the marketplace. By altering the original intent of the financial rescue package, I cannot in good conscience support extending further funding and authority to the Treasury Department. My fear is that the second $350 billion in TARP funding will go even farther beyond the original mission of preserving overall financial market stability, and instead will be used to fund a heavy-handed policy centered around favoritism in Washington. Various industries have already lined up their lobbyists for a claim on these public dollars. This type of monetary policy completely destroys the very foundation that the American free market economy is built on.

Therefore, On January 15th of this year, I cast my vote against giving the Obama administration the remaining $350 billion of the economic rescue package. I am disinclined to vote for any additional funding for the economic rescue package unless I receive assurance that the new administration will be transparent and accountable to the taxpayers in how they spend this money and that it will not be wasted. I am concerned that the money is not actually being used to restore credit markets and confidence, and instead going reward the wealthy Wall Street bankers and executives who created this mess in the first place.

Additionally, I am a cosponsor of legislation (S. 64) which will do two things if passed: First, it will require an affirmative vote by Congress to approve the Treasury Department's plan for the remaining $350 billion. Second, it will require a freeze on remaining funds of the first $350 billion. It is essential that we not allow such a mindboggling amount of taxpayer dollars to be added to the deficit without stringent Congressional oversight.

Unfortunately, Congress voted to give the remaining $350 billion of the economic rescue package to the Obama administration. Please be assured that I will do everything in my power to ensure that TARP is transparent to the taxpayers that fund it, and will operate with much needed oversight and accountability so that it is able to work. $700 billion is a lot of money, and I have not found anybody who does not want a piece of it. I will work to ensure that the Obama administration uses a merit-based system to determine how TARP funds are used, and that recipients are chosen by how they impact Main Street, and not a politically driven process of picking winners and losers. Taxpayer protection and accountability must always be paramount.

Although everyone may not agree on how to fix the economic challenges that face our country, I will do everything in my power to ensure every dollar of taxpayer funds in the financial rescue is used for its intended purpose - to fix our credit markets and restore confidence in our economy. I will be closely monitoring the effectiveness of the financial rescue plan, and continue to demand steadfast accountability and transparency from all of the participating institutions. Please be assured that I will vote against any future funding for the financial rescue.

Again, thank you for contacting me on such an important issue. Best wishes!

Sincerely,

Tom A. Coburn, M.D
United States Senator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Moderately subtle

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Makes sense to me . . . only thing that would make more sense is if he introduced a bill to get the money back.

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Surely A Large Human

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
^ Erm....

Quote:
Additionally, I am a cosponsor of legislation (S. 64) which will do two things if passed: First, it will require an affirmative vote by Congress to approve the Treasury Department's plan for the remaining $350 billion. Second, it will require a freeze on remaining funds of the first $350 billion. It is essential that we not allow such a mindboggling amount of taxpayer dollars to be added to the deficit without stringent Congressional oversight.
What else can ol' boy do?
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 09:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cuban: Your intro comment is a gratuitous swipe with little validity. Limbaugh was adamantly opposed to TARP. and doesn't favor bailouts.

Charter member of the Vast Rightwing Conspiracy and proud of it.

God Bless the America we're trying to create.
--Hillary Rodham Clinton
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 09:13 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2009
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rush Limbaugh also says that yes, he wants Obama to fail IF the restructuring of the country does not include Capitolism, free markets and our liberties and freedoms that drive the country, bring out the entreprenuers that stimulate the economy and grant us our hard fought for liberties!

Sounds like a good man to me and I wholeheartedly agree
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Would those be the same liberties and freedoms that GW & Co. spent eight years savaging, or are these some other liberties and freedoms?

And "restructuring the country"? Are you serious? Is Alaska going to swap places with PR or something?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 09:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
This is what a conservative sounds like
While I couldn't agree more that transparency and accountability should be 100% included in TARP, I couldn't help but snicker while reading the article, juxtaposed with your subject header.

Were you suggesting that a conservative sounds like someone who, in 795 words failed to mention, although it was the crux of his entire subject that it was the Bush Administration and Henry Paulson that were responsible for changing the rules once they received the initial $350 Billion tranche yet, found the ability to muster the courage to mention the Obama Administration three times, letting them know that he was going to show them how it is done.

Where was this Conservative voice during the ENTIRE BUSH ADMINISTRATION? Looking at his voting record during the 2005-2006 Republican led Senate he seems to have voted pretty much right down party lines for the largest Deficit Spending budget in American History [until 2008 and now the big cleanup]

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Surely A Large Human

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomline1 View Post
Cuban: Your intro comment is a gratuitous swipe with little validity. Limbaugh was adamantly opposed to TARP. and doesn't favor bailouts.
You assume that I care what Limbaugh has to say; my concern is with the people who allow him to serve as their surrogate thought center.

Limbaugh probably only believes - I'm guessing here - 3 of 5 things he says. The rest, he can attempt to make a convincing argument for, because there's nobody on the air with him to knock his ass down. He can be a boisterous blowhard "know-it-all" without consequence, cherry-picking the people he lets on the air.

There are FAR too many people who have substituted his views and opinions for their own. And it's killing America.

People have a decision to make, every day. Will they be negative and partisan and divisive and defeatist, blindly condemning everything a non-Republican says or does; or will they evaluate the news as they hear it; challenge their own beliefs & assumptions, as well as those of others in an effort to find the truth; decide what they actually stand FOR and champion those causes rather than simply argue AGAINST, well, everything?

Don't lump me in with the us-or-them crowd. Dr. Coburn is a man who is closely aligned with the people who got him to the senate, and rather than grandstand on the news to complain about Pelosi or whomever, he's doing things consistent with his beliefs and the desires of his constituency. He's walking the walk. So far, he's been a model senator. Finally. A Republican we can admire and proudly support.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 09:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbenz7 View Post
Rush Limbaugh also says that yes, he wants Obama to fail IF the restructuring of the country does not include Capitolism, free markets and our liberties and freedoms that drive the country, bring out the entreprenuers that stimulate the economy and grant us our hard fought for liberties!

Sounds like a good man to me and I wholeheartedly agree
So, when was the last time America had Free Markets?

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 09:41 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
So called conservatives are so partisan they give Bush a pass while attacking O. for the same thing. What can of hypocritical whack job do you have to be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in