LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 11:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
"I won"

Did he send out a little red book for all you LIE's ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 11:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlfun View Post
I would add " and more" to your last sentence.

Debt to GDP is gonna be the highest since WWII from 40 percent now to 60 assuming a growing economy. It will be higher if the economy tanks further.
Math, try it.

We have a 2008 GDP of 14.2 Trillion according to the Department of Commerce, Bureau of Economic Analysis.

We have a National Debt as of March 4, 2009 of $10,947,253,496,261.64 adding $3.71BILLION a DAY. And this doesn't touch a penny of Obama money yet.

Now, what are your percentages again?

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 11:57 PM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
GOP?
Attached Images

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 11:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlfun View Post
"I won"

Did he send out a little red book for all you LIE's ?
I'm sure that makes sense to you. And even deleting your post [after it was quoted] makes no sense. Now, try again.

Hint, the answer is in the first three words.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 12:00 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
GOP?
I love that little drawing.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 12:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
I'm sure that makes sense to you. And even deleting your post [after it was quoted] makes no sense. Now, try again.

Hint, the answer is in the first three words.
Again , what's your question ?

You are getting into a bad habit of demanding answers without having asked any questions.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Yes the Bush Administration ended a bit over a month ago but its repercussions will last a lifetime. But my point, which you completely avoided was that your boy Coburn VOTED WITH BUSH POLICIES EVERY TIME on Budget and policy. So it is NOT history since Coburn is still VOTING.

If Coburn had truly "walked the walk" he would have NOT VOTED for all those Republican spending measures. He would have NOT voted for Iraqi funding [something about Right to Life and War], he would NOT have voted along PARTY LINES nearly every time.

You can't have it both ways. Yes he NOW writes that TARP is bad, mismanaged, confused, not well thought out, badly named, purple, whatever. But if he were truly CONSERVATIVE he would have voted against runaway spending and lack of oversight in 2005 and 2006 when the Republicans had a MAJORITY. HE DID NOT.

That makes him no different than any other of the two faced partisan hacks that kissed Bush's ass as long as they were in Majority and now, when their party is in complete disarray are finding some kind of voice. It's OK, we in Kentucky have been used to two faced Republican Senators for years. You get used to it.
I encourage you to re-read what Dr. Coburn wrote in October (my post above). Labeling him a partisan hack is remarkably unfair.

Quote:
My first priority in the Senate is to protect the American taxpayer. The plan put forth by Treasury Secretary Paulson and the Bush Administration is not perfect, but I believe is the right action to take at this moment. Consequently, I worked with my colleagues in the Senate to secure the following key provisions to protect taxpayers in the final version of the economic rescue package:

Reduces Taxpayer Exposure - Rather than a $700 billion blank check, as requested by the Bush Administration, $250 billion would be available immediately to the Treasury Secretary with stringent oversight. Any additional funds would require further Congressional approval.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 06:30 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
I would agree Coburn didn't entirely earn the "partisan hack" handle in the two answers you got via email from him. He does step off the non-partisan hack base when he suggests the issue at hand is Obama and forgets to acknowledge the first 350 Billion dollars were doled out without any transparency by Bush, not Obama. Obama has made transparency a feature of the second $350B, also not mentioned.

He does make a good point that all of Congress should respond to - the TARP was not intended to be used the way the first $350B have been used. That is just unsatisfactory, kind of like Bush's signing notes on bills that make them pointless once passed.

I think the man's record, though, and his perspective in the documents you quoted, QBN, do make him a bit suspect. The context is less of an open admission that his past collaborative performance has brought about a set of conditions no one wanted resulting in a cure that no one wants even more, and that the first set of pills of the cure seem to have been expensive placebos makes it even more important that the rest of the cure be administered with greater care to ensure it is effective than it is an opportunity to hold the new boss responsible for the effectiveness of the entire cure, even the part the old boss apparently allowed to be switched out for junk.

But I agree with his point - the cure has to be made effective, so it needs to be administered with care and oversight and a periodic assessment of progress that becomes a go - no go gauge for administering more of the same cure. If it is not working, a new cure is needed. Not nothing.

Jim
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 06:46 AM
Brentwood MB

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I think that Q's relationship with the good Doctor is much more than he is sharing here. Is he your Proctologist Q, does he have warm hands, is he an old college room mate? Those are questions I'd like answered.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Whether or not people agree with him will of course be an individual decision. My hope is that we clarified what a conservative sounds like, as a contrast to what RINO's and neo-conservatives sound like. There's quite a bit of confusion amongst Republicans as to which is which, and apparently there's confusion beyond that. I can't fault people for being confused based on the past 8-10 years of behavior by Republicans as to what a conservative really is anymore.

Coburn may not be the textbook example, but he's a damn sight better than most. Arguments made over how partisan a person are based solely on their voting record are specious at best. We didn't buy the whole "Obama is as liberal as it gets" just because he voted against Bush all the time. Coburn is a member of a party who has lost its way, and I think he himself - a rather new member of congress - is struggling to find the path like a lot of them are. What he is NOT doing is war mongering, chanting for the expansion of the empire, etc. He is a fiscal conservative who has to pay attention to a very socially conservative constituency. Blame Oklahoma if you must, not him. He's doing his job, he's representing our interests - and best as we can tell, doing that to the exclusion of any personal interests he may have unlike SO MANY others we can name. There's more here to admire than not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in