LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 06:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
The Pope is speaking on an important MORAL issue that is in the forefront of key church dogma. I don't believe he is being political at all, and I certainly don't believe he is grandstanding. Pelosi would do well to heed his admonitions if she plans to remain in the church.
It is grandstanding, plain and simple. In Italy abortion has been legal since the late 1970's, and the attempt to repeal the law was voted down by 80% or so of the population. Abortion in Italy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think the Pope, as a former Nazi or at least Nazi sympathizer, would hold his own country, Germany, to a higher standard. Germany has a long history of arguing over this subject as well. It has long been illegal, but the penalties were lessened under the Weimarer Republik before the Nazis took over. After they got control, the Nazis made the penalties much more restrictive. Gotta get those Aryans breeding more quality German citizens to populate the ranks of those operating the gas chambers, you know. After the war abortion remained illegal until the mid 1970's when there was a restrictive set of conditions set that allowed it. When the two Germany's united abortion became legal. And, it remains legal (and their law is likely better than any other set up on this issue I have read about):
Abortion in Germany - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have yet to hear the Pope summarize his entire meeting with either the Italian politicians or German politicians, or any other European politicians with a lecture about the sanctity of life. It is reserved for Americans because we are paying too much attention to the kiddie diddling of his management team. By continually pressing this hot button he is hoping to distract Americans from the fact that the Catholic Church has, for decades, been enabling kiddie diddling in the US, and likely elsewhere. When the lawsuits started piling up here it brought "the fear of God" into the Catholic Church's management team that similar responses might become the rule in other countries where the kiddie diddling, if it was going on (and with the celibacy requirement, why wouldn't it?) represented an entirely new threat. Gotta get that that story tamped down and no better way than to stir the mud with a sanctity of life lecture to an American politician that will make American headlines. And that is what makes the speech political grandstanding.

Last edited by JimSmith; 02-20-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 07:05 PM
Surely A Large Human
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
dot Jim for the fucking win.

post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2002 clk320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
dot Jim for the fucking win.

I posted this in another thread, but it said invalid response. If your asking if I can suck my own dick, you know that's a weird question to ask a man.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: