WTF is wrong with this country? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 09:29 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Maybe the 13%er's are growing in number!

© All photographs and likenesses of Multipurpose are protected under copyright
law. Any use of photographs in whole or in part is strictly prohibited
unless authorization is granted in writing by copyright holder. All rights
reserved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc1244 View Post
WTF is wrong with this country?

Perhaps it has to do with an entire generation that has never really known hard times.
Mmmm. Hard Times!

THE HARD TIMES STORY

THE AMERICAN CHILI PARLOR

It was during the early part of the 20th century that the open range of the West was finally fenced and the railroads replaced the great cattle drives.

That was when many out of work chuck wagon cooks moved to town and opened small restaurants that featured chili con carne, a meat and pepper stew first concocted to feed the hungry trail drive cowboys. It caught on and soon became a national favorite.

The beloved cowboy philosopher Will Rogers said he always judged a town by the quality of its Chili. He liked to hang out at chili parlors where he took the pulse of the nation for his syndicated column in the 1920’s.

During the Great Depression chili parlors supplied an inexpensive and nourishing meal for million’s of Americans. A newspaper man at the time was quoted as saying that during those hard times chili saved more lives than the Red Cross.

Meat rationing during WWII forced the closing of many chili parlors and although many restaurants today offer chili on their menus, few authentic chili parlors remain. The mission of the Hard Times is to maintain this unique American culinary institution.

THE HARD TIMES CAFE ROOTS

Ira Goodfellow was born in Grapevine, Texas in 1874. When he was 15 years old his father gave him a horse, double-barreled shot gun and a ten dollar bill and he told him it was time to go out and seek his fortune.

My brother Jim and I know of this story because Ira Goodfellow was our Grandfather. His first job was a trail drive cowboy at the Waggoner ranch near Wichita Falls, Texas. It was there he learned how to prepare chili from a chuck wagon cook.

He learned to cook more than chili because when he homesteaded in Oklahoma territory he taught his new bride how to handle herself in the kitchen. Irma, his oldest daughter eventually took over the kitchen chores and it was grandpa Ira’s chili recipe she used when she opened a small roadhouse in Gracemont, Oklahoma in the late 1940’s.

Irma became famous for her Texas chili and would have customers drive the fifty miles from Oklahoma City just for a taste. Her place finally succumbed to the new interstate highway system, a fate shared by many independent eateries on the secondary roads of the country.

It was twenty five years later around the mid 1960’s that brother Jim and I discovered the Texas Chili Parlor of Washington DC on Pennsylvania Avenue. This was a little joint that had been around since the early 1930’s and was located about three blocks from the White House.

Open until 3am it was a favorite hang out for cabbies, policeman, reporters and other folks working the graveyard shift. The Texas Chili Parlor also had a high profile clientele.

David Brinkley was a regular as was President Truman who lived a couple of blocks away in the White House.

The place was owned by two salty old ladies named Barbara Abbot and Hazel Caloway and their Chili tasted just like our Aunt Irma’s. The place only served straight chili, chili with beans, chili dogs and chili mac. That was it.

The two women had been feuding for years and would not work together , so they each would run the place two weeks on and two weeks off. Each had a loyal customer following and Jim and I were in Hazel’s camp.

Eventually they split up and only Hazel’s place survived. She died in 1971 and the Texas Chili Parlor went out of business.

For the next nine years I kept the memory of our local chili parlor alive by turning part of my home into a chili parlor.

Using the family recipe I served the famous Texas Chili mac to friends and family and we would sit around and tell Hazel stories.

In 1980 Jim and I decided to turn what had been a hobby into a real business and opened our first store on King Street in Old Town Alexandria where it still operates today. Since then hundreds of Hazel’s old customers have found us along with a throng of new fans each year. In October of 2005 USA Today named us as one of the 10 best places in the country for a bowl of chili.

- Fred Parker

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 06:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Beyond what McBear wrote, it's a sure thing that not enough people are hungry yet. Wait until large hungry groups of people who are accustomed to entitlement are denied entitlement. All in a nation that sports the best armed population in the world.....
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 07:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barberhauler View Post
Beyond what McBear wrote, it's a sure thing that not enough people are hungry yet. Wait until large hungry groups of people who are accustomed to entitlement are denied entitlement. All in a nation that sports the best armed population in the world.....
that is one scary scenario.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 08:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

cling to your guns & ammo

reserved.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 07:37 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsden View Post
This sad story about a former boom suburb in SW Florida caught my eye. But partway through it I really threw up my (figurative) hands in despair, when I read that the providers of 'food-pantry' charity services for the poor are having to combat the phenomenon of people who use aliases to visit several different pantries at the same time, and then take the goods back to supermarkets for cash refunds. WTF?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/08/us/08lehigh.html

Coincidentally, I got into conversation with the young guy manning the 'self-service' checkout in my own grocery store the other night. He was very talkative, explaining that the job is boring otherwise (all he does is watch everyone check themselves out, after all). Since he looked to be about 20, I offered that the one good thing about a bad job is that it motivates you to find a better job. His response: he'd lately found the real way to make money, when his car was rear-ended by someone and he got a judgment for pain and suffering (he looked ok to me). Sure beats working! I asked him what kind of car he drove so I could keep well clear of him on the public roadways. WTF?

It's worth noting that crime was LOW during the (first) Great Depression. This is about honor, not poverty. Or, lack of honor should I say?
I think your analysis of the crime rates during the Depression are incorrect. IIRC, during the early years of the Great Depression, under Hooverism, the crime rate went up - it was the era of Bonnie and Clyde, Dillinger after all, but there was a lot of property crime as well, and one hell of a lot of labor unrest - and most of all Prohibition was still in force. The crime rate began to go down after Roosevelt began the stream of relief money and jobs programs to the very poor, and even more, from the repeal of the Vostead Act, which ended Prohibition.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address

Last edited by FeelTheLove; 02-09-2009 at 07:42 AM.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 07:40 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barberhauler View Post
^ which is the whole point of social democracy, the form of government in use by the rest of the world. During time of economic calamity, it tends to keep a society peaceful. If the hungry are fed, where's the problem?

I think the real source of unrest will come from Angry White Man. His sense of entitlement dwarfs that of any poor person.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address

Last edited by FeelTheLove; 02-09-2009 at 07:43 AM.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 07:48 AM
BenzWorld Elite

I think FTL is right, they were the original gangsters!

reserved.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 08:00 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 1981 380SL - Lorinser bodykit w/16x7 LOs - AKA "Frau Blau"(Lady Blue)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multipurpose View Post
cling to your guns & ammo
No shit. My brother is getting a divorce and selling a bunch of his - I think I am going to have to go over there and go shopping.

"If you don't know what you're looking for it's kind of hard to find it!"

CCTORONTO:
Quote:
If it helps America through it's current crisis, I say go ahead! We can take it, after all we're Canadian!

Blame Canada!!
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elitist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove View Post
I think your analysis of the crime rates during the Depression are incorrect. IIRC, during the early years of the Great Depression, under Hooverism, the crime rate went up - it was the era of Bonnie and Clyde, Dillinger after all, but there was a lot of property crime as well, and one hell of a lot of labor unrest - and most of all Prohibition was still in force. The crime rate began to go down after Roosevelt began the stream of relief money and jobs programs to the very poor, and even more, from the repeal of the Vostead Act, which ended Prohibition.

It's not my analysis; it's relatively-uncontested and widely-accepted. Meanwhile I'm sure you'll agree that a couple of celebrated crime sprees are irrelevant. It's not too surprising to me that someone like Dillinger would become a folk hero--somewhat perversely perhaps--in a time of general privation. I doubt Bernie Madoff will follow in those footsteps, as he stole too much from too many people. About 50,000x as much maybe?

AEI - Short Publications - Crime and Economy Don't Tell Whole Story

Crime rate falls in U.S., and no one is sure why (1/23/2000)

SSRN-Striking at the Roots of Crime: The Impact of Social Welfare Spending on Crime During the Great Depression by Ryan Johnson, Shawn Kantor, Price Fishback

Washington Times - Slump in economy doesn't worsen crime

Crime and economy don't tell whole story - Los Angeles Times

Now, why was crime lower in the Great Depression? Many reasons have been offered (some above, which dovetail fairly well with the ones you supplied) such as the end of Prohibition, relief spending, works programs, etc. And there does seem to be some support for the notion that crime did not go down immediately, as you say.

But overall, crime was low during the Great Depression, about that there is really no dissent. Meanwhile, I have never seen anything data-wise which indicates exactly when and how the crime rate fell. Were these reasons the actual cause? I'd love to know. It would be a coup for the spending crew, for better or worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in