Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
We've been dealing with IBM's Brazilian operations (Global Finance), and they're utterly useless. I suppose it doesn't matter to American customers whether or not service providers are good, as long as they're cheap. Unbelievable.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 05:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoseyman View Post
I would do it just to find JE
You have to take the piss, don't you?

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Seneca
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 06:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
It is INDIA, not INDONESIA, K?

But I am sure you'll find JE anyway...
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 06:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeahh...I've heard they have those comfortable hotels in Mumbai...
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 06:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Quote:

© All photographs and likenesses of Multipurpose are protected under copyright
law. Any use of photographs in whole or in part is strictly prohibited
unless authorization is granted in writing by copyright holder. All rights
reserved.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 07:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybydesignw210 View Post
In my current situation, no kids, single, not even dating and my dedication to work, I would make the move. I don't travel much and being single means I could get up and go. In June, I would have been with my current employer for 7 years. In todays economy a merit raise is out of the question, so I fear I may be stuck for the next 3 years. I guess 10 years at a job wont look bad to a new employer, I just want to see where the economy is heading prior to making any drastic moves, but if I was being paid to move, why not.
The "paid to move" part is a bit misleading. "Financial assistance to offset moving costs" does not, in IBMspeak mean "Paid to move".

The problem with places like India or China is that the only way an American can get a work visa now is to do so through a company like IBM. And should you end up on the short end of a resource action while there, I would imagine that the logistics in getting home might be rough. The reduction of pay while there would make any retirement saving impossible.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 08:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
We've been dealing with IBM's Brazilian operations (Global Finance), and they're utterly useless. I suppose it doesn't matter to American customers whether or not service providers are good, as long as they're cheap. Unbelievable.
Part of the reason your business signed with IBM was the price of the contract. And that contract was based on X amount of offshore services. You MIGHT have been able to get an IBM contract with US only labor but I really doubt it now.

Much like folks buying at Walmart, IBM had to start lowering the cost of its products and services to compete with other global service providers and the only way to do that was to offshore much of their labor. You want inexpensive services, sometimes you get what you pay for.

I have fought that argument in IBMs boardroom to the point that there are three Directors and two VPs that will no longer be in the room with me. They need my work but hate my lectures when I show them WHY we are re-doing work for the third time and WHY clients are demanding money back.

At some point I will just not be asked back but the alternative would be to back down and not do what I think is right. And a job isn't worth that sacrifice.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elitist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
The "paid to move" part is a bit misleading. "Financial assistance to offset moving costs" does not, in IBMspeak mean "Paid to move".

The problem with places like India or China is that the only way an American can get a work visa now is to do so through a company like IBM. And should you end up on the short end of a resource action while there, I would imagine that the logistics in getting home might be rough.
Wow, I didn't even think of that. They'll get you over to some third-world hellhole and you'll be their slave, because you won't be allowed to take any other job. Great.

It's ironic that anyone on Earth can come to America and get work but we can't go work in any other country without detailed sponsorship and special dispensation

I just know I was meant to work in Positano or somewhere like that
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 08:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsden View Post
Wow, I didn't even think of that. They'll get you over to some third-world hellhole and you'll be their slave, because you won't be allowed to take any other job. Great.

It's ironic that anyone on Earth can come to America and get work but we can't go work in any other country without detailed sponsorship and special dispensation

I just know I was meant to work in Positano or somewhere like that
As long as folks like IBM, Microsoft and others have unlimited H1Bs available to bring in cheap labor or the ability to ship it out, we are going to have a hard time growing our economy back.

Every day I am reminded again and again just how much the "got to have the best price" mentality has reshaped and totally redefined this country. It has made us a consumer nation. And the world does not have any examples of really successful, independent, strong consumer nations.

McBear,
Kentucky

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in