Advertisement

post #42 of 184 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Attention in Cascadia - a guy who gets around $85,000 per hour to attend cocktail parties, who is a role model to children everywhere, and who won more gold medals in a single olympics than anyone in history, was photographed engaging in an illegal activity; which he's done before (vis-a-vis his DUI arrest). This is establishing a pattern, and it's in stark contrast to the squeaky clean image that has been cast of him - and that resulted in him gaining millions in commercial endorsements.

It's a bit like finding out that Rush Limbaugh was addicted to Oxycontin that he had a mexican housekeeper buy for him on the sly...not sure what your reaction was to that, either.
post #43 of 184 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 07:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
It's a nice fairy tale, but it's fiction to imagine that you can enter a room full of people - some of whom you don't know - as a world-famous athlete, engage in illegal behavior, and not have something come of it.

If he did it at his house by himself, once, we wouldn't be talking about it. Things that SHOULD be private, cease to be, if you're not careful when you're world famous.

He's not entitled to live the life of a rich world-famous athlete. Stories are everywhere. There are rules and expectations. If you care to meet them, no problem. If you flaunt them (defiantly, in deference to Jay), down you go. That's all there is to it.

Incidentally, I'm curious to see what you had to say about Rush Limbaugh when he was busted for the prescription drug thing. That was more of this private, albeit illegal, activity for which he was "punished". Shall I do the searching or would you?
Regarding Rush, I quoted HIS comments on air that he thought white collar druggies should go to jail and that suddenly, when he was caught the hypocrisy fairy visited. Whether he is a stoner or not is his business. He has plenty of money to buy young boys and drugs all he wants. It is the hypocrisy that irritated me.

I never said that Phelps was entitled to live the life of a rich world-famous athlete, just have a private life.

I think his judgment was very flawed. My point all along is that many folks are judging his pot use while having a beer or liquor drink which I find to be somewhat hypocritical. It is time we take this private live activity out of the public worry and concern and quit wasting everyone's time about it.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #44 of 184 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 07:19 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
When in the spot light why not use common sense and act appropriately?
post #45 of 184 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 07:19 PM
It Is What It Is, Dude

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1978 107.024 RIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Don't think Phelps was on a nationally syndicated radio program declaring drug users should be locked up and the key thrown away....
post #46 of 184 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 07:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the clk man View Post
Hey Bear, are we still on for tomorrow?
I doubt it. There is freaking ICE everywhere. Lexington is running out of salt which means the subdivision will NOT get salted. I would be surprised if I leave the house for the next 48 hours.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #47 of 184 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 07:24 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2002 clk320
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
I doubt it. There is freaking ICE everywhere. Lexington is running out of salt which means the subdivision will NOT get salted. I would be surprised if I leave the house for the next 48 hours.
I understand, you have more pressing responsibilities. And for that I respect you.
post #48 of 184 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
Attention in Cascadia - a guy who gets around $85,000 per hour to attend cocktail parties, who is a role model to children everywhere, and who won more gold medals in a single olympics than anyone in history, was photographed engaging in an illegal activity; which he's done before (vis-a-vis his DUI arrest). This is establishing a pattern, and it's in stark contrast to the squeaky clean image that has been cast of him - and that resulted in him gaining millions in commercial endorsements.

It's a bit like finding out that Rush Limbaugh was addicted to Oxycontin that he had a mexican housekeeper buy for him on the sly...not sure what your reaction was to that, either.
Attention Bumfukkistan, he clearly exercised poor judgment from a business perspective, but other than that, it's a non-issue. Since I don't watch TV, subscribe to magazines or other media sources, his "image" doesn't mean shit to me. He's an adult, perfectly capable of making his own decisions about what to ingest and is clearly not hurting anyone else, so it's none of my (or your) business.
post #49 of 184 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
Again, why does anyone care about this non-issue? Pot is far less detrimental than booze or cigarettes, yet if he'd been caught partaking of either of those "controlled" substances, he'd get a free pass. This is completely absurd
Legal verses Illegal

© All photographs and likenesses of Multipurpose are protected under copyright
law. Any use of photographs in whole or in part is strictly prohibited
unless authorization is granted in writing by copyright holder. All rights
reserved.
post #50 of 184 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multipurpose View Post
Legal verses Illegal
Yes, and so is doing 75 mph in a 55 mph zone -- bfd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in