Michael Phelps likes the BONG - Page 10 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 184 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 10:45 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
The fact of the matter is he did in fact outperform every other swimmer in the world, not even the free world. I'm sure he didn't just start hittin it last week so to speak. But for him it may have been the worst screw up in life as his multi million dollar ride may hit a really big bump. Thats a personal loss to him self. As for the role model, it comes with celebrity. What about Clintons cigar, ddid that effect his ability as Pres. not a bit but it cost him his job.
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 184 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 11:10 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
Yeah, doing drugs and drinking to excess is self-indulgence. Primarily because it's indulgent, and not insignificantly, because he's not doing it for anyone else. Survival techniques which are self destructive are not really survival techniques. Maybe you meant coping mechanism, which gets back to him surrounding himself with less-than-desirable people.

And for someone who is rich & famous - luxuries on loan from God and payable on demand - such an indulgence comes with a far higher price tag than the average Joe. Corporate sponsors don't care who smokes pot; they care if their guy smokes pot. Phelps is very, very fortunate that his sponsors don't care if their guy smokes pot, but I doubt he asked the question first, and considering everything he enjoys, that's a pretty damned big risk to take.

He sets a very high bar for himself, in areas of far less significance to his development as a person. It's just, man, disappointing.
I am with Zeitgeist on this issue. It was not newsworthy. There is no issue unless you supply the energy and the will to beat this into a frothing load of bullshit.

On the other hand, if I was Phelps the guy who recorded the message would be wise to buy a chastity belt to cover his ass because I would spend a bit of the edge of one of those gold medals to hire the black dude on the Subway "Five Dollar Foot-Long" commercial (he really seems to be the only one who is aware of the whole social deal with a guy, especially a Black guy pitching a "foot long" on tv to an ad clearly aimed at the dirty minds of consumers like me) to wrap his foot long in barbed wire and ass rape the little shit who recorded and then released the film. I mean, Phelps has already banked more money than he will need, especially if he spends a decade or two in the clink, and the shit heads that think it is ok to fuck with people's lives like that need to be taught to think about it first.

Dig: this is one of those unnoticed patterns I thought you would pick up on since you spend so much energy looking for them. Why isn't the assholishness of he guy or girl who recorded the bong toking and then released it being addressed?

Jim
post #93 of 184 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
I am with Zeitgeist on this issue. It was not newsworthy. There is no issue unless you supply the energy and the will to beat this into a frothing load of bullshit.

On the other hand, if I was Phelps the guy who recorded the message would be wise to buy a chastity belt to cover his ass because I would spend a bit of the edge of one of those gold medals to hire the black dude on the Subway "Five Dollar Foot-Long" commercial (he really seems to be the only one who is aware of the whole social deal with a guy, especially a Black guy pitching a "foot long" on tv to an ad clearly aimed at the dirty minds of consumers like me) to wrap his foot long in barbed wire and ass rape the little shit who recorded and then released the film. I mean, Phelps has already banked more money than he will need, especially if he spends a decade or two in the clink, and the shit heads that think it is ok to fuck with people's lives like that need to be taught to think about it first.

Dig: this is one of those unnoticed patterns I thought you would pick up on since you spend so much energy looking for them. Why isn't the assholishness of he guy or girl who recorded the bong toking and then released it being addressed?

Jim
I'm trying to cut back on left baiting.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #94 of 184 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit96 View Post
The point is that if he hadn't admitted to it, there is NO proof that it was even marijuana!
Where does that leave you, QB? Is your moniker correct? If so, I believe possession of cuban cigars in the US is still illegal. Any other skeletons in the closet, hmm?
Point is everyone at some time in their life has made bad choices. I don't believe in holding anybody in contempt for it, even celebrities. Should a celebrity be above the law? No. But if someone took a pic of YOU smoking what APPEARED to be marijuana, even if you admitted to it and took the pic to local law enforcement, they would laugh you right out of the police station.
The point of his "guilt" is moot, as he's already confessed to it by way of his recent apology.

If you'd like to search my home for evidence of Cuban cigars, I can assure you you'll find none. Not because I hide them or obfuscate them, but because I have none. I've been fortunate enough to consume them on occasion and find them without equal. You may be interested to know that Michigan borders Canada, as does Minnesota, and Canada has no such draconian laws regarding Cuban imports. Either way, I'm not paid millions to look squeaky clean to an adoring public or corporate sponsors, so my circle of privacy is broadened by my lack of interest to the public at large.
post #95 of 184 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 01:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 1981 380SL - Lorinser bodykit w/16x7 LOs - AKA "Frau Blau"(Lady Blue)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
The point of his "guilt" is moot, as he's already confessed to it by way of his recent apology.

If you'd like to search my home for evidence of Cuban cigars, I can assure you you'll find none. Not because I hide them or obfuscate them, but because I have none. I've been fortunate enough to consume them on occasion and find them without equal. You may be interested to know that Michigan borders Canada, as does Minnesota, and Canada has no such draconian laws regarding Cuban imports. Either way, I'm not paid millions to look squeaky clean to an adoring public or corporate sponsors, so my circle of privacy is broadened by my lack of interest to the public at large.
confessed to what??

"I engaged in behavior which was regrettable and demonstrated bad judgment," Phelps said in a statement. "I'm 23 years old and despite the successes I've had in the pool, I acted in a youthful and inappropriate way, not in a manner people have come to expect from me. For this, I am sorry. I promise my fans and the public it will not happen again."

And who knows what is in the contracts with his sponsers? I don't believe any have dumped him as of yet. So was "squeaky clean" in there?
And what does he owe the "adoring public"? Nothing.
Actually as I have written this I am not sure why I am arguing with you about it . You are entitled to your opinion as I am entitled to mine.
Peace.

"If you don't know what you're looking for it's kind of hard to find it!"

CCTORONTO:
Quote:
If it helps America through it's current crisis, I say go ahead! We can take it, after all we're Canadian!

Blame Canada!!
post #96 of 184 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 01:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
One of the things you need to realize (or don't, I don't care) is that it's not ME up in his business. I'm not prescribing a fate or penalty for the man. I'm lamenting the fact that he's squandered his gifts, and trying to figure out why people are defending his actions...that doesn't mean I'm condemning them, because what does it matter if I did, but his actions aren't really defensible, so I find it curious that uninterested parties are coming to the defense of a person who doesn't need or seem to want it.
Interesting. Why do you think that his personal habit [and we only assume it is a habit] of pot has squandered his gifts?

You earlier made the leap that his DUI of five years ago and his bong hit of last month constitute a pattern. If we accept that, it looks like his gifts have not been squandered on little bit.

And that might just be your issue. In my first post I said that "The thing that folks are not talking about is that this blows the "pot kills your ambition" argument that the "war" on drugs has been yammering for 30 years. Here we have a person at the top of his game, incredibly well disciplined and skilled." Is that where your issue lies? That your "don't take drugs" conversation with your son has lost much of its validity when a superstar is shown to both use pot AND be highly disciplined, well trained and the best in the world?

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #97 of 184 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 01:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
The fact of the matter is he did in fact outperform every other swimmer in the world, not even the free world. I'm sure he didn't just start hittin it last week so to speak. But for him it may have been the worst screw up in life as his multi million dollar ride may hit a really big bump. Thats a personal loss to him self. As for the role model, it comes with celebrity. What about Clintons cigar, ddid that effect his ability as Pres. not a bit but it cost him his job.
Bill
No, it did not cost Clinton his job. He completed his term with a final Gallup approval rating of 66%. As a point of reference, Bush left at 28%.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #98 of 184 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 01:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 1981 380SL - Lorinser bodykit w/16x7 LOs - AKA "Frau Blau"(Lady Blue)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Oh, and I think Dominican cigars are just as good as Cuban (I live in Ohio, which is ALSO close to Canada, if you didn't know)
Damn, there I go arguing again. Sorry

"If you don't know what you're looking for it's kind of hard to find it!"

CCTORONTO:
Quote:
If it helps America through it's current crisis, I say go ahead! We can take it, after all we're Canadian!

Blame Canada!!
post #99 of 184 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Clearly Bush's no office BJ policies cost him "Heckuva job Brownie" points with the masses. Too bad he didn't consult with Jay, who no doubt would've strenuously argued in favor of a repeal of said policy.
post #100 of 184 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 01:33 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit96 View Post
Oh, and I think Dominican cigars are just as good as Cuban (I live in Ohio, which is ALSO close to Canada, if you didn't know)
Damn, there I go arguing again. Sorry
The Risks of Cigar Smoking - MSN Health & Fitness - Health Topics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in