Are you afraid of flying? - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

View Poll Results: Are you afraid of flying?
Yes, I'm too terrified to fly 0 0%
I'm nervous about flying but I do what I have to 6 24.00%
No, it's not an issue 19 76.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 07:59 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2002 clk320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
that too.
Why am I here Bear? and I want the long version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 08:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the clk man View Post
Why am I here Bear? and I want the long version.
In Erica Jong's Fear of Flying thread?

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #33 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 01:19 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
It is more likely to get struck by lightning vs. being in an airplane accident.
post #34 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 01:35 AM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Petrified. I cannot stand being in a situation where I'm not in control of the.....well....controls.

post #35 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 04:49 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: '98 E320 Wagon (non 4matic)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TNTRower
Scariest flying experience I ever had was an actual crash.

We were flying back from the Pohakuloa Training Area on the big Island of Hawaii to MCAS Kaneohe Bay on Oahu.

Were 1 mile out and 5k ft up when the Transmission decided to shit the bed in a CH53-D.

We were pretty heavy and started throwing everything out the back while the pilots autorotated. We made the beach by 3 feet and the tail rotor ended up in the water.

Not a single injury other than strained sphincters clamped shut so hard we were making the precursors to diamonds.

Second scariest experience was SPIE rigging when the pilot (just out of flight school) didn't realize how long the rope was that we were all attached to and he flew us through some trees on take off from the LZ. Oh man were we pissed. That one actually yielded a dislocated shoulder on my part (I was last man on the rope) and lots of bruises and some bad scratches that required some stitches on me and the two guys above me.

Who's John Galt.

"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes" - Virgil, The Aeneid, Book 2

If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel. --Benjamin Netayahu
post #36 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 06:05 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 2002 CLK320; 2006 CLK350 Cabriolet; 2011 E350 Cab; 2014 E550 Cab
After an entire career in aviation, from flying single seat fighters for a quarter century, to flying for Pan American Airways, to flying very large jets for FedEx, I can honestly say that there's only been a few times when I was in the air, wishing I were on the ground, instead of being on the ground, wishing I were in the air. I've had a number of engine failures in flight, both in fighters as well as commercial jets; been struck by lightening; hit by birds; had a flight attendant tell me that she wouldn't sleep with me (unbelievable); had my first officer (co-pilot), who was flying the jet at the time, fall dead asleep, on final approach; flown into almost every country in the world that has a runway long enough for heavy jets; but I still can't get used to not being able to get a blanket and pillow, even in first class, anymore. I'm done with this flying stuff.

JJ
post #37 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 06:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: '98 E320 Wagon (non 4matic)
Send a message via AIM to TNTRower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetjok View Post
After an entire career in aviation, from flying single seat fighters for a quarter century, to flying for Pan American Airways, to flying very large jets for FedEx, I can honestly say that there's only been a few times when I was in the air, wishing I were on the ground, instead of being on the ground, wishing I were in the air. I've had a number of engine failures in flight, both in fighters as well as commercial jets; been struck by lightening; hit by birds; had a flight attendant tell me that she wouldn't sleep with me (unbelievable); had my first officer (co-pilot), who was flying the jet at the time, fall dead asleep, on final approach; flown into almost every country in the world that has a runway long enough for heavy jets; but I still can't get used to not being able to get a blanket and pillow, even in first class, anymore. I'm done with this flying stuff.

JJ
Dude, fly Singapore Air Business Class. Blanket, 2 pillows, outstanding food. The 1st class seats are "suites" that close off and are like small meeting rooms.

See link.

The Experience -- Singapore Airlines

I flew on the A340-500 all business class configuration from LAX to SIN nonstop. 18 hours. Slept for 8 solid and had 10 more to go. The inflight entertainment system was FANTASTIC.

I have heard that Emirates Air is awesome as well. I have not had a chance to fly them yet.

Who's John Galt.

"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes" - Virgil, The Aeneid, Book 2

If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel. --Benjamin Netayahu
post #38 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 06:32 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 2002 CLK320; 2006 CLK350 Cabriolet; 2011 E350 Cab; 2014 E550 Cab
Guess I needed to put a after that last sentence. I've flown both Singapore Airlines and Emirates a number of times and agree that their service far exceeds that of our flag carriers. I was stuck in Bangkok on 9/11 (not a bad place to be stuck, because there was a ban on flying into the US and so FedEx didn't want us to operate back to Paris, because there was no ramp space for us to park. A few days later they called me and told me that we'd be paxing instead of operating, and now instead of flying back to Paris, they'd like us to go to Dubai, to pick up a jet there and then operate back to Paris's CDG. They had us booked on Emirates, in First/Business Class. When we showed up at the gate (no First Class lounge) we were greeted by 200 or so Arabs, mostly in robes, all waiting for the same Emirates flight. It was a very disquieting feeling, and we were both uncomfortable for the entire flight. Thankfully the vast majority of them were sitting in Coach. It felt good to get off that flight. We operated back to Paris, and took a jumpseater with us, who was the head of security, for FedEx, for the Middle East region. He was traveling back to Paris, to hand over a video tape, of one of the Terrorists, who had been photographed sending money, via FedEx, from Dubai, to the States. We landed, were met by the FBI, the tape was handed over, and our security guy got back on the next jet back to Dubai.

Plus, did I mention that the flight attendants for Singapore are HOT, and they love to party. Only problem is they all look exactly the same.

JJ

Last edited by Jetjok; 01-31-2009 at 06:46 AM.
post #39 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 07:47 AM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
What is this center seat of which you speak? You need a better travel agent.
This was back in the day when you HAD to use travel agents. Haven't talked to one in years, and haven't had a center seat in years unless I offered to switch with a split up family. I usually get upgraded on Continental.

Did switch with a Dad a few years ago, and ended up next to a out of control Tourette's victim. 20 minutes into the packed flight, he started shouting obsenities and hitting me.

I grabbed the stew and said move me or push him out the door. Somehow she came up with another seat for me and the gal on the other side of me. This guys shouldn't have been flying alone.
post #40 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 09:55 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2006 B 200 & Audi A6..
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
All that is missing nowadays is the electric cattle prod.
Shane,
All you need to do is to upgrade to 1st or business class to accommodate this strange desire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in