The Bipartisan Stimulus Package - Page 18 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #171 of 217 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 01:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 1981 380SL - Lorinser bodykit w/16x7 LOs - AKA "Frau Blau"(Lady Blue)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Actually, I take that back, I think he already has been, seeing the previous couple of posts !!

"If you don't know what you're looking for it's kind of hard to find it!"

CCTORONTO:
Quote:
If it helps America through it's current crisis, I say go ahead! We can take it, after all we're Canadian!

Blame Canada!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 217 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 08:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Oops
Quote:
Center for Immigration Studies :: Senate Stimulus: 300,000 Jobs for Illegals?

Senate Stimulus: 300,000 Jobs for Illegals?

1 in 7 New Construction Jobs Could Go to Illegal Immigrants

WASHINGTON, Feb. 4 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Senate Stimulus bill currently being considered contains about $104 billion in new government funding for construction projects with the goal of creating jobs for millions of unemployed Americans. Unlike the House version, there is no provision in the bill to bar illegal immigrants from getting these taxpayer-funded jobs. The Center for Immigration Studies says this could result in several hundred thousand illegal immigrants receiving jobs.

* The current version of the Senate Stimulus bill (The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act) contains $104 billion in construction spending, including highways, schools, and public housing.
* Government estimates suggest this spending should create about 2 million new construction jobs.
* Consistent with other research, the Center for Immigration Studies has previously estimated that 15 percent of construction workers are illegal immigrants.
* This means that about 300,000 of the construction jobs created by the Senate stimulus could go to illegal aliens (15 percent of 2 million).

Discussion: The $104 billion figure for new construction is based on the current version of the Senate Stimulus bill. Government estimates indicate that each $1 billion spent on construction should create roughly 19,600 construction jobs, each lasting a year.(1) Thus $104 billion for construction projects should create construction-related jobs for about 2.04 million workers over several years. The Center for Immigration Studies has estimated that about one out of seven (or 15 percent) of workers employed in construction in the United States are illegal immigrants.(2) Thus, if no effort is made to bar illegal immigrants from these jobs, it is extremely likely that about 300,000 will go to illegal immigrants. The House of Representatives version of the stimulus package has a provision requiring contractors to use the E-Verify system, which enables employers to quickly determine if new hires are authorized to work in the United States. At present, the Senate has no such provision.

(1) The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) estimates indicate that each $1 billion in construction spending directly creates 19,584 construction related jobs. This number comes from Employment Impacts of Highway Infrastructure Investment, April 2008, FHWA. This figure does not include jobs indirectly created by construction spending.

(2) Steven A. Camarota, "Dropping Out: Immigrant Entry and Native Exit From the Labor Market, 2000-2005," Center for Immigration Studies Backgrounder, March 2006, p. 19. A 2006 Pew Hispanic Center study, "The Size and Characteristics of the Unauthorized Migrant Population in the U.S.," estimated that 14 percent of construction workers were illegal immigrants; see page 3 of that report. Both the CIS and Pew studies were based on the March 2005 Current Population Survey (CPS). The March 2007 CPS shows that the illegal share of construction workers may have grown to 18 percent, but we use 15 percent in the above discussion to be conservative.

The Center for Immigration Studies is an independent research organization that examines the impact of immigration on the United States.

AddThis

post #173 of 217 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 08:52 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
^^
How can that be prevented? Tight control or simply not pass the stimulus?
post #174 of 217 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 08:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
^Must speak English.

Charter member of the Vast Rightwing Conspiracy and proud of it.

God Bless the America we're trying to create.
--Hillary Rodham Clinton
post #175 of 217 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 08:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlfun View Post
Oops
Good post, ML. As the examination of the Stim Bill goes on, it is clearer and clearer that the original offer by the house was a Dem's wet dream--mostly ideological spending and very little stimulus.

--Hillary Rodham Clinton
post #176 of 217 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 09:03 PM
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomline1 View Post
^Must speak English.
Fund some ESL for able bodies willing to work; don't you think that's a good idea? That will include homeys from the hood so don't be alarmed
Here is a funny situation I actually witnessed in an Eastern European country that will remain nameless: I went to a road construction site to do whatever I was paid to do and while I was heading to the project manager's trailer I noticed that many employees were holding shovels that had sawed off handles.
Once inside the trailer I asked on of the guys about the shovels and I was told that they were that way to prevent some guys from pretending that they were working while actually resting and even sleeping by leaning against their shovels.
post #177 of 217 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 09:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
Fund some ESL for able bodies willing to work; don't you think that's a good idea? That will include homeys from the hood so don't be alarmed
Here is a funny situation I actually witnessed in an Eastern European country that will remain nameless: I went to a road construction site to do whatever I was paid to do and while I was heading to the project manager's trailer I noticed that many employees were holding shovels that had sawed off handles.
Once inside the trailer I asked on of the guys about the shovels and I was told that they were that way to prevent some guys from pretending that they were working while actually resting and even sleeping by leaning against their shovels.
Officially, the functional illiteracy rate is 47% in Detroit. We don't need to import any more. And think of it, they'll fit right in--already unionized.

--Hillary Rodham Clinton
post #178 of 217 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 09:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlfun View Post
Oops

Senate Stimulus: 300,000 Jobs for Illegals?

1 in 7 New Construction Jobs Could Go to Illegal Immigrants

WASHINGTON, Feb. 4 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Senate Stimulus bill currently being considered contains about $104 billion in new government funding for construction projects with the goal of creating jobs for millions of unemployed Americans. Unlike the House version, there is no provision in the bill to bar illegal immigrants from getting these taxpayer-funded jobs. The Center for Immigration Studies says this could result in several hundred thousand illegal immigrants receiving jobs.

* The current version of the Senate Stimulus bill (The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act) contains $104 billion in construction spending, including highways, schools, and public housing.
* Government estimates suggest this spending should create about 2 million new construction jobs.
* Consistent with other research, the Center for Immigration Studies has previously estimated that 15 percent of construction workers are illegal immigrants.
* This means that about 300,000 of the construction jobs created by the Senate stimulus could go to illegal aliens (15 percent of 2 million).

Discussion: The $104 billion figure for new construction is based on the current version of the Senate Stimulus bill. Government estimates indicate that each $1 billion spent on construction should create roughly 19,600 construction jobs, each lasting a year.(1) Thus $104 billion for construction projects should create construction-related jobs for about 2.04 million workers over several years. The Center for Immigration Studies has estimated that about one out of seven (or 15 percent) of workers employed in construction in the United States are illegal immigrants.(2) Thus, if no effort is made to bar illegal immigrants from these jobs, it is extremely likely that about 300,000 will go to illegal immigrants. The House of Representatives version of the stimulus package has a provision requiring contractors to use the E-Verify system, which enables employers to quickly determine if new hires are authorized to work in the United States. At present, the Senate has no such provision.

(1) The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) estimates indicate that each $1 billion in construction spending directly creates 19,584 construction related jobs. This number comes from Employment Impacts of Highway Infrastructure Investment, April 2008, FHWA. This figure does not include jobs indirectly created by construction spending.

(2) Steven A. Camarota, "Dropping Out: Immigrant Entry and Native Exit From the Labor Market, 2000-2005," Center for Immigration Studies Backgrounder, March 2006, p. 19. A 2006 Pew Hispanic Center study, "The Size and Characteristics of the Unauthorized Migrant Population in the U.S.," estimated that 14 percent of construction workers were illegal immigrants; see page 3 of that report. Both the CIS and Pew studies were based on the March 2005 Current Population Survey (CPS). The March 2007 CPS shows that the illegal share of construction workers may have grown to 18 percent, but we use 15 percent in the above discussion to be conservative.

The Center for Immigration Studies is an independent research organization that examines the impact of immigration on the United States.
Everyone will demand the best cost for every project to get the best bang for the buck [since it is taxpayer's money]. So the low bids are going to be those companies who have the lowest labor costs.

This should not be a surprise to anyone. It is a cold hard fact of life in the businesses that will rebuild the infrastructure of this country. I suppose we can add padding to each contract to insure that only god fearing white folk get the jobs but I am guessing there will also be a performance clause which will run contra.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #179 of 217 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 09:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomline1 View Post
^Must speak English.
That is usually not a problem. They seem to be able to pick up English much better than we tend to pick up a second or third language.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #180 of 217 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 09:26 PM
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
That is usually not a problem. They seem to be able to pick up English much better than we tend to pick up a second or third language.
That is so true
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in