Post Obama: Opponents hissy fits. - Page 21 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #201 of 226 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 08:14 PM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
I am amazed that Dig actually finds this an issue to bring up in any kind of context. It is so petty and so small, it alters my view of Dig's internet persona.
It's about time! If you haven't realized it by now, my internet persona is built upon presenting a different perspective. A secondary target, if you will. Because it would seem by your comment that you have just stumbled on to this giggle fest of bear's and mine, I will recap as briefly as I am able.
  • President Obama screws up the oath of office.
  • Chief Justice Roberts screw up the oath of office.(watch the video and see who goofs first)
  • ALL (I checked but I may have missed something) subsequent stories, and there were a lot (again, I checked all that I reasonably could in this lifetime), referred to the Roberts gaffe but I could find NO MENTION of Obama's error.

At this point, we'll veer from facts to my opinion. I believe that Roberts, reciting the oath without notes, got rattled when Obama stepped on his lines and lost his place. Again, just my opinion.

Quote:
I would actually like to see where Obama blamed the other dude for the fuck up. I don't think Obama did. But, regardless of how the other dude got the blame, the idea that it is problem that Obama didn't do something to overtly intercede and take the blame is absurd. In Washington DC that would be a full time job. And, when did the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court become an employee of the President?
The employee thing was just a device to illustrate my point of view. If it would help, substitute 'manager of another store' for employee so that we are two separate yet equal quantities as in judicial/executive branches. If you would like to argue that they are not equal, then assign a much greater sales volume to my store.

On a day when Obama's sole job was to recite the oath in front of record breaking mall crowds at the most extremely expensive inauguration ever, he made a mistake and when someone else took all the public blame, he made no known public attempt to correct this false impression. This was covered ad nauseum in the other threads.

Of course, there's nothing that says he has to step up and take the hit and he's probably smart for not doing it. Apparently, nobody noticed.

Quote:
No, this is not an issue. It is a sign of some desperate, small minded gadgets trying to make an issue and to establish some new level of political correctness to hogtie the Chief Executive so nothing gets done. So they can bitch about that. I find the underlying pettiness of this "issue" alarming and disappointing.
You are correct. In the grand scheme of where this nation is at this time and all that has gone before and all that is to come, this little thing is a fly speck. It has no bearing on the matters of state*.

For me, however, it is something to note. Is it part of his character to lead in this manner? Time will tell. I'm just calling him out on it, this time. If nothing similar never happens again, then the joke's on me. It will not be easy to tell, however since this was a raw moment with no filters or spin. No one needed to be a fly on the wall at some meeting. It was there for everyone to see. I'm willing to consider that I might be wrong. Are you willing to consider that I might be right?

Quote:
As for the rest of the whining, well, it is par for the course. Lemmings following loser Limbaugh are going to whine when told to whine. Jim
What other whining did I do? I'm fairly certain this was my only beef.

*It should be noted that White House Counsel "insisted" on another administration of the oath just to avoid any future issues while Obama only did it under <coff coff> protest.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 226 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 08:34 PM

Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Again, how do you know what Obama may or may not have said to Roberts?

If you, as a store manager and an employee do something that causes an accident or a problem with a report, and you realize that you might have caused it, even though the employee took the blame, do you:
  1. go to the employee and apologize and move on
  2. make an announcement on the PA to ALL employees and customers that you made an error
  3. set aside a time for all employees to meet so that, long after the fact you can "clear the air"
Oh My God...

We were in the office and someone asked a question about the schedule. I took the clipboard off the drywall screw that it hangs from and afterward, went to hang it back on the screw. I missed.

In an effort to catch the falling clipboard, I quickly leaned into the wall and trapped the clipboard...just as it reached the sales floor light switches. We have those big assed overhead lights that take 5 minutes to relight after they are turned off. Three major banks of lighting went out. There was still sufficient illumination from the remaining lights and the sunlight through the front windows.

I could have/ should have gotten on the PA and said,

"May I have your attention, please. A brief electrical interruption has caused our lights to go out but they will be back on in a few moments. Please continue with your shopping."

Instead, I had to choke back laughter as I thought of you and said,
"May I have your attention, please. I accidentally turned off the lights in the store. There is no problem and the lights will be on again in a few moments."

This place invades my life!

post #203 of 226 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 09:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow View Post
At this point, we'll veer from facts to my opinion. I believe that Roberts, reciting the oath without notes, got rattled when Obama stepped on his lines and lost his place. Again, just my opinion.
I thing that is an accurate assessment as far as it went. But then again, what kind of person who has risen to the rank of Chief Justice gets "rattled" when someone "steps on his line"?

Wasn't he the sub for Harriett Myers?

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #204 of 226 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 09:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh My God...

We were in the office and someone asked a question about the schedule. I took the clipboard off the drywall screw that it hangs from and afterward, went to hang it back on the screw. I missed.

In an effort to catch the falling clipboard, I quickly leaned into the wall and trapped the clipboard...just as it reached the sales floor light switches. We have those big assed overhead lights that take 5 minutes to relight after they are turned off. Three major banks of lighting went out. There was still sufficient illumination from the remaining lights and the sunlight through the front windows.

I could have/ should have gotten on the PA and said,

"May I have your attention, please. A brief electrical interruption has caused our lights to go out but they will be back on in a few moments. Please continue with your shopping."

Instead, I had to choke back laughter as I thought of you and said,
"May I have your attention, please. I accidentally turned off the lights in the store. There is no problem and the lights will be on again in a few moments."

This place invades my life!
Bravo. That's how it is suppose to be done. It is not always done that way but sometimes is. Ask the folks at J Walter Thompson/Asia Pacific when I accidentally took out ALL of 2500 email accounts for two days because I got lost in running a 250 ft cable a 4am on a holiday weekend. It was in a four inch binder of Cat5 cables and I checked twice and made the same mistake in the same spot twice. I called the CEO the Monday morning to let her know what I had done. Apparently I was suppose to just blame it on a router going down.

And for bonus humor, I did the very save thing with the lights this evening at the shop. I was in the total darkness for the 5 minutes.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #205 of 226 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 10:02 PM

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
It's spooky, I tell ya.

post #206 of 226 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 10:04 PM

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
I thing that is an accurate assessment as far as it went. But then again, what kind of person who has risen to the rank of Chief Justice gets "rattled" when someone "steps on his line"?

Wasn't he the sub for Harriett Myers?
Apparently, the same kind as one who has risen to the rank of President who was in a wee bit of a rush (NPI) to get it oather with.

post #207 of 226 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 10:06 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
^Ya know... I struck a bug once that made a little splatter on one of my windshields... I wiped it off.
post #208 of 226 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 12:02 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Post #192 quotes post #51 as a response to post...
post #209 of 226 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 06:21 AM

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
^Ya know... I struck a bug once that made a little splatter on one of my windshields... I wiped it off.
You should have just ignored it since it was too small to mar the overall presentation of your vehicle. No car is perfect.

post #210 of 226 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 07:40 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
It's about time! If you haven't realized it by now, my internet persona is built upon presenting a different perspective. A secondary target, if you will. Because it would seem by your comment that you have just stumbled on to this giggle fest of bear's and mine, I will recap as briefly as I am able.
  • President Obama screws up the oath of office.
  • Chief Justice Roberts screw up the oath of office.(watch the video and see who goofs first)
  • ALL (I checked but I may have missed something) subsequent stories, and there were a lot (again, I checked all that I reasonably could in this lifetime), referred to the Roberts gaffe but I could find NO MENTION of Obama's error.

The employee thing was just a device to illustrate my point of view. If it would help, substitute 'manager of another store' for employee so that we are two separate yet equal quantities as in judicial/executive branches. If you would like to argue that they are not equal, then assign a much greater sales volume to my store.

On a day when Obama's sole job was to recite the oath in front of record breaking mall crowds at the most extremely expensive inauguration ever, he made a mistake and when someone else took all the public blame, he made no known public attempt to correct this false impression. This was covered ad nauseum in the other threads.

Of course, there's nothing that says he has to step up and take the hit and he's probably smart for not doing it. Apparently, nobody noticed.

You are correct. In the grand scheme of where this nation is at this time and all that has gone before and all that is to come, this little thing is a fly speck. It has no bearing on the matters of state*.

For me, however, it is something to note. Is it part of his character to lead in this manner? Time will tell. I'm just calling him out on it, this time. If nothing similar never happens again, then the joke's on me. It will not be easy to tell, however since this was a raw moment with no filters or spin. No one needed to be a fly on the wall at some meeting. It was there for everyone to see. I'm willing to consider that I might be wrong. Are you willing to consider that I might be right?

What other whining did I do? I'm fairly certain this was my only beef.

*It should be noted that White House Counsel "insisted" on another administration of the oath just to avoid any future issues while Obama only did it under <coff coff> protest.
Well, I can see we can count on you and your internet persona to collectively exert every effort to "dig" up deep meaning in each and every Obama incomplete sentence or grammatical error for the next 8 years, imagining all kinds of nefarious possible endings or implying dastardly causes. Be vigilant and relentless and maybe you can make something like mountain out of something like a molehill.

I never recall hearing a lot of squealing and whining from the duo of you and your internet persona when the last President had to face his own errors, like his appointments of unqualified people to run government agencies - and then let them take the fall when, doing what they could, they failed. Katrina comes to mind. I imagine you would have rejected Brownie's expulsion from his position and taken the fall for appointing him in the first place, based on some reasons having to do with anything but his ability to run that particular agency. Like political favors.

And, Dig, the whole world is not only about you. There were numerous other squealers and whiners contributing to your effort to project deep, nefarious meaning from this and other events in the first week of the new President's term. Called to duty by, and marching to the drumbeat of Rush Limbaugh. The new GOP beacon.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in