International Law. Why should we care? - Page 6 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 01:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
bandit96's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 1981 380SL - Lorinser bodykit w/16x7 LOs - AKA "Frau Blau"(Lady Blue)
Location: northern ohio
Posts: 7,558
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlomon View Post
Not in enough volume to make up for the lost US market. Asian consumers save a much higher percentage of their income than American consumers and are also less-likely to go into debt for purchases they don't deem necessary. The loss of the US consumer would be (is presently?) devastating for China's manufacturing economy. Which is why China is all too willing to float US debt with treasury purchases. Credit is the drug of choice for consumer culture, and China is committed to making sure there is more than enough supply for the addict.
There's always Canada...

"If you don't know what you're looking for it's kind of hard to find it!"

CCTORONTO:
Quote:
If it helps America through it's current crisis, I say go ahead! We can take it, after all we're Canadian!

Blame Canada!!
bandit96 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 02:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlomon View Post
Not in enough volume to make up for the lost US market. Asian consumers save a much higher percentage of their income than American consumers and are also less-likely to go into debt for purchases they don't deem necessary. The loss of the US consumer would be (is presently?) devastating for China's manufacturing economy. Which is why China is all too willing to float US debt with treasury purchases. Credit is the drug of choice for consumer culture, and China is committed to making sure there is more than enough supply for the addict.
China, India and Indonesia make up 25% of the world's population and are emerging at a rate exceeding all expectations [they are also growing quicker. With nearly 3BILLION people, their market can easily draw the big players away from the US's 300M, just 10% of those three countries.

And that transformation has already begun. The number of new plants in China and India are staggering for their burgeoning middle class.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #53 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 12:18 AM
It Is What It Is, Dude
 
isthisdave's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1978 107.024 RIP
Location: InTransition
Posts: 21,645
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRower
It helps that if you post something it actually is verifiable. I can't help it if you post crap as your sources, they get shown to be crap, then you throw a hissy fit and pout, then we make fun of you for it.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRower
By the way when you post something that is verifiable about China and India NOT drilling offshore then please let us all know.

Thanks.

Quote:
I did.

Quote:



Since apparently in your estimation, TIME magazine doesn't qualify as verifiable, I went and found just such a source for you.


Johanna Mendelson-Forman, a senior fellow with the CSIS Americas Program, was quoted by the Associated Press, "Cheney Oil Comment Attacked."
June 12, 2008

Associated Programs:
Americas Program
Related Research Focus:
Energy
Americas
Experts :
Johanna Mendelson Forman
Excerpt:
WASHINGTON (AP) — Vice President Dick Cheney's office acknowledged on Thursday that he was mistaken when he asserted that China, at Cuba's behest, is drilling for oil in waters 60 miles from the Florida coast.

There is no actual drilling yet. ... There is exploration," said Johanna Mendelson-Forman, a senior fellow on energy and Latin America at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

She said China's oil company, Sinopac, has conducted exploratory drilling on a lease on land in western Cuba, but is not involved in the offshore development.


CSIS Press - Johanna Mendelson-Forman, a senior fellow with the CSIS Americas Program, was quoted by the Associated Press, "Cheney Oil Comment Attacked."



Expert Profile

Johanna Mendelson Forman
Senior Associate, Americas Program

Associated Research Focus:
Americas
Post-Conflict Reconstruction
Associated Programs:
Americas Program
Expertise:
Energy security and post-conflict development on Latin America; United Nations and International Organizations
Contact:
202-741-3936
E-mail this expert



Johanna Mendelson Forman, Senior Associate, Americas Program



Now here's a deal for you. Prove Ms. Mendelson Forman wrong, and I'll call her and demand both a retraction in print and a correction on the website.
isthisdave is offline  
post #54 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
TNTRower's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: '98 E320 Wagon (non 4matic)
Location: Atlanta, GA & Malabo, Equatorial Guinea
Posts: 6,663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TNTRower
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by isthisdave View Post
Since apparently in your estimation, TIME magazine doesn't qualify as verifiable, I went and found just such a source for you.


Johanna Mendelson-Forman, a senior fellow with the CSIS Americas Program, was quoted by the Associated Press, "Cheney Oil Comment Attacked."
June 12, 2008

Associated Programs:
Americas Program
Related Research Focus:
Energy
Americas
Experts :
Johanna Mendelson Forman
Excerpt:
WASHINGTON (AP) — Vice President Dick Cheney's office acknowledged on Thursday that he was mistaken when he asserted that China, at Cuba's behest, is drilling for oil in waters 60 miles from the Florida coast.

There is no actual drilling yet. ... There is exploration," said Johanna Mendelson-Forman, a senior fellow on energy and Latin America at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

She said China's oil company, Sinopac, has conducted exploratory drilling on a lease on land in western Cuba, but is not involved in the offshore development.


CSIS Press - Johanna Mendelson-Forman, a senior fellow with the CSIS Americas Program, was quoted by the Associated Press, "Cheney Oil Comment Attacked."



Expert Profile

Johanna Mendelson Forman
Senior Associate, Americas Program

Associated Research Focus:
Americas
Post-Conflict Reconstruction
Associated Programs:
Americas Program
Expertise:
Energy security and post-conflict development on Latin America; United Nations and International Organizations
Contact:
202-741-3936
E-mail this expert



Johanna Mendelson Forman, Senior Associate, Americas Program



Now here's a deal for you. Prove Ms. Mendelson Forman wrong, and I'll call her and demand both a retraction in print and a correction on the website.

OHHHHHH...now I see what the disconnect is here!

We are using different terminology. The Chinese are drilling EXPLORATORY wells. That means they are drilling.

What you are referring to is PRODUCTION.

So when you say that the Chinese are not drilling you are wrong.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Who's John Galt.

"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes" - Virgil, The Aeneid, Book 2

If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel. --Benjamin Netayahu
TNTRower is offline  
post #55 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 01:10 AM
slightly creased
 
420 SE's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 1988 420 SE; 2015 ML 400
Location: Gold Coast, QLD, AUS & Doha, Qatar
Posts: 16,177
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by In the butt, Bob View Post
OHHHHHH...now I see

Thanks for clearing that up!
so... how much of your bosses time did you spend on BenzWorld OT today 'In the butt, Bob'???

Ross

OzBenz

beware of fundamentalists

420 SE is offline  
post #56 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 01:20 AM
It Is What It Is, Dude
 
isthisdave's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1978 107.024 RIP
Location: InTransition
Posts: 21,645
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRower View Post
OHHHHHH...now I see what the disconnect is here!

We are using different terminology. The Chinese are drilling EXPLORATORY wells. That means they are drilling.

What you are referring to is PRODUCTION.

So when you say that the Chinese are not drilling you are wrong.

Thanks for clearing that up!


Again, you choose to ignore the pertinent information that YOU asked for. In black and white.......


Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRower
First off China and India are already drilling off the coast of Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRower
By the way when you post something that is verifiable about China and India NOT drilling offshore then please let us all know.


WASHINGTON (AP) — Vice President Dick Cheney's office acknowledged on Thursday that he was mistaken when he asserted that China, at Cuba's behest, is drilling for oil in waters 60 miles from the Florida coast.

There is no actual drilling yet. ... There is exploration," said Johanna Mendelson-Forman, a senior fellow on energy and Latin America at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

She said China's oil company, Sinopac, has conducted exploratory drilling on a lease on land in western Cuba, but is not involved in the offshore development.




You need to man up, and stop squirming like a little cunt trying to not piss her pants.
isthisdave is offline  
post #57 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 01:23 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2006
Location: Nor'east + So'wes Callahan Divide, Texas
Posts: 1,920
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The retraction is always on page...

I'm just a singer in my own mind.
BenzToy is offline  
post #58 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 06:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
bandit96's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 1981 380SL - Lorinser bodykit w/16x7 LOs - AKA "Frau Blau"(Lady Blue)
Location: northern ohio
Posts: 7,558
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
China, India and Indonesia make up 25% of the world's population and are emerging at a rate exceeding all expectations [they are also growing quicker. With nearly 3BILLION people, their market can easily draw the big players away from the US's 300M, just 10% of those three countries.

And that transformation has already begun. The number of new plants in China and India are staggering for their burgeoning middle class.
Yeah, but of the 3 billion, how many have credit cards? much less ANY type of discretionary income?

"If you don't know what you're looking for it's kind of hard to find it!"

CCTORONTO:
Quote:
If it helps America through it's current crisis, I say go ahead! We can take it, after all we're Canadian!

Blame Canada!!
bandit96 is offline  
post #59 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 07:06 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
jlomon's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 3,488
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
China, India and Indonesia make up 25% of the world's population and are emerging at a rate exceeding all expectations [they are also growing quicker. With nearly 3BILLION people, their market can easily draw the big players away from the US's 300M, just 10% of those three countries.

And that transformation has already begun. The number of new plants in China and India are staggering for their burgeoning middle class.
Its actually closer to 50% of the world's population. I just don't know what percentage of the world's GDP they represent and I'm quite frankly too lazy to look it up.

My point was that it is North Americans, and more Americans than Canadians really, that are willing to turn the supposed home equity into ATMs to buy all kinds of crap they don't need. People in the third world haven't got that mentality, at least yet. They'd rather save for a rainy day. They also don't have anywhere near the rate of home ownership, or ownership of other assets that can be collateralized in order to take on debt to fuel consumer culture.

China and India's burgeoning middle class is greatly dependent upon the ability of the west to purchase either goods from China or services from India. The middle class isn't yet established to the point where it can be self-sustaining. Maybe in 10 or 20 years it will be, but it isn't right now. The global recession is going to set that back even further by reinforcing the need for this new middle class to save money to protect themselves from the next global meltdown. They've watched themselves get rich quickly and then just as quickly are under threat of losing a great deal of those riches. They'll learn from this lesson. It is a pity that we don't.
jlomon is offline  
post #60 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 05:56 PM
It Is What It Is, Dude
 
isthisdave's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1978 107.024 RIP
Location: InTransition
Posts: 21,645
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Cowboy up, pussy.


TNTRower TNTRower is online now
BenzWorld Elite
TNTRower's Profile Picture

TNTRower's Avatar
Last Activity: Today 04:50 PM
Viewing Forum Off-Topic @ 04:50 PM
isthisdave is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    Product Review: Adam's Care Care Products (Long) ByByeAmericanPie Detailing and Car Care 14 05-11-2015 05:50 PM
    How much international travel... GeeS Off-Topic 17 10-29-2008 08:45 PM
    Shariah ( Islamic ) law vs Talmud ( Jewish ) law Designo_E320 Off-Topic 37 06-15-2007 12:03 PM
    LA International Auto Show Beleriand R171 SLK-Class 3 12-01-2006 06:33 AM
    There's very good information on leather care at www.leatherZ.com Click Leather Care Jones R170 SLK-Class 4 04-20-2001 03:41 PM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome