SLR Time - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus
 
GeeS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 44,915
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
SLR Time

So I picked up a new toy, a Canon Rebel XTi, and I know we have at least a couple of experienced photographers on site. I have the stock EF-S 18-55 MM 3.5-5.6 lens, an EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 telephoto lens, and a cheap little Opteka 0.35X Wide Angle/Fisheye lens to play with. What else do I need in the way of filters for example? Any tips/tricks for the profoundly ignorant? I have never even looked at a decent camera before. For the most part, I'll be taking it along on my frequent desert hikes. I took the camera out today, and had trouble holding it steady with the telephoto lens. I can hold it fairly steady at full strength, but not while I'm out pushing myself. Any tips besides a tripod?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
GeeS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
MBLR's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2k SlK230 / 2KSlk320 / 2000 Toyota Tacoma, 95 Land Rover D90 (done) Now looking for a series IIA
Location: Utah-ha hah!
Posts: 2,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
So I picked up a new toy, a Canon Rebel XTi, and I know we have at least a couple of experienced photographers on site. I have the stock EF-S 18-55 MM 3.5-5.6 lens, an EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 telephoto lens, and a cheap little Opteka 0.35X Wide Angle/Fisheye lens to play with. What else do I need in the way of filters for example? Any tips/tricks for the profoundly ignorant? I have never even looked at a decent camera before. For the most part, I'll be taking it along on my frequent desert hikes. I took the camera out today, and had trouble holding it steady with the telephoto lens. I can hold it fairly steady at full strength, but not while I'm out pushing myself. Any tips besides a tripod?
As for Tripods I have a Tiltall made by Leitz Inc.... yup it's heavy however it has got to be one of the best ones made...ever.

I also have a Monopod from the same company (single leg unit) and that works great also.

If you do not want to deal with the added weigth on the hike start looking for ready availible supports to lean against or rest the camera on (take a small towel to set the camera on) hmmmmm I ummm would ahhh like kinda not use a cattus for this thought...

There are also mini tri pods that are ok however the ones I have had all have ended up in the trash for one reason or another.
MBLR is offline  
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:28 PM
BenzWorld Member
 
Jetjok's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 2002 CLK320; 2006 CLK350 Cabriolet; 2011 E350 Cab; 2014 E550 Cab
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a friend who has a rather large member. We call him tripod.
Jetjok is offline  
post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
MBLR's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2k SlK230 / 2KSlk320 / 2000 Toyota Tacoma, 95 Land Rover D90 (done) Now looking for a series IIA
Location: Utah-ha hah!
Posts: 2,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetjok View Post
I have a friend who has a rather large member. We call him tripod.
Ummmmmm I get called "Dink"
MBLR is offline  
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1975 450SL
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,432
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
There are some walking stick manufacturers that have a screw - off knob that leaves the end of a bolt out that fits the tripod mounting hole.

Get a UV (sometimes called haze) filter for each of the lenses. It will sharpen longer distance photos and act as scratch protection for the lenses.

Keep a lens cleaning cloth handy.

Enjoy yourself; here in AZ we have a lot of opportunity for great shots. I have some shots of snow and ice effects on top of Mount Ord that I use for wallpaper.
RadioTek is offline  
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Moderator
 
gerkebi's Avatar
 
Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Location: E-I-E-I-Ohio
Posts: 5,920
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Post some pics. It's been ages since I've been out with the old school SLR's, love to see what's up now. Lord, I had half the basement taken up by my darkroom back in the day. Beseler enlarger, trays of chemicals, stumbling around by the light of the safe light. Old Pentax's, Nikon's, bulk loaders full of Tri-x. Good times.
gerkebi is offline  
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
MBLR's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2k SlK230 / 2KSlk320 / 2000 Toyota Tacoma, 95 Land Rover D90 (done) Now looking for a series IIA
Location: Utah-ha hah!
Posts: 2,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioTek View Post
There are some walking stick manufacturers that have a screw - off knob that leaves the end of a bolt out that fits the tripod mounting hole.

Get a UV (sometimes called haze) filter for each of the lenses. It will sharpen longer distance photos and act as scratch protection for the lenses.

Keep a lens cleaning cloth handy.

Enjoy yourself; here in AZ we have a lot of opportunity for great shots. I have some shots of snow and ice effects on top of Mount Ord that I use for wallpaper.

Oh yeah by all means if nothing else at least put a Clear lens filter on each lens and leave it there because they cost less to replace than a lens does.
MBLR is offline  
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If you can find a Bogen 3001, that is a very good tripod that will last a lifetime. I have two, one that is 40 years old and the "new" 20 year old one. It is pretty lightweight for hiking.

You will want to put neutral density or UV filters on the front of the lenses. That does two things. It reduces glare and, more important, it is much cheaper to replace than the front element of the lens should you bump into something.

Spend the extra bucks for the thinner one for the wide angle lens. At lowest range [18] a thick one might get picked up by the lens causing a very slight darkness around the edge.

A circular polarizer is also nice but kinda expensive. It helps contrast up the colors and makes them pop.

Go out to ebay and buy extra batteries for it from ebay store iTrimming. They are very inexpensive and you can get 9 batteries for 20 bucks or so. I charge them all and keep them in the bag so I never run out, even driving the flash or shooting long exposures.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerkebi View Post
Post some pics. It's been ages since I've been out with the old school SLR's, love to see what's up now. Lord, I had half the basement taken up by my darkroom back in the day. Beseler enlarger, trays of chemicals, stumbling around by the light of the safe light. Old Pentax's, Nikon's, bulk loaders full of Tri-x. Good times.
Kodak made the last run of Kodachrome in 2007 which expires this year. They don't plan on making more.

I used to buy that stuff by the brick.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus
 
GeeS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 44,915
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I took this shot today from nearly half a mile distant.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	palm.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	217357  

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
GeeS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    Question SLR 722 and 2006 SLR love2skiutah Mercedes-McLaren SLR 1 03-29-2007 05:22 AM
    E430 engine warning lamp lights up from time to time maciek W210 E-Class 2 10-30-2006 06:51 AM
    E430 engine warning lamp lights up from time to time maciek W210 E50 AMG, E55 AMG 0 10-18-2006 07:53 AM
    Quicktime Movie of 2/18/06 No. CA SLK & SLR Enthusiast Meet & Drive (No SLR yet) Motzkoman Mercedes-McLaren SLR 0 02-20-2006 11:55 PM
    pics of SLR concept.. from along time ago just thought i would share Andrew2004az Mercedes-McLaren SLR 1 03-21-2004 04:44 PM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome