post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
SLR Time

So I picked up a new toy, a Canon Rebel XTi, and I know we have at least a couple of experienced photographers on site. I have the stock EF-S 18-55 MM 3.5-5.6 lens, an EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 telephoto lens, and a cheap little Opteka 0.35X Wide Angle/Fisheye lens to play with. What else do I need in the way of filters for example? Any tips/tricks for the profoundly ignorant? I have never even looked at a decent camera before. For the most part, I'll be taking it along on my frequent desert hikes. I took the camera out today, and had trouble holding it steady with the telephoto lens. I can hold it fairly steady at full strength, but not while I'm out pushing myself. Any tips besides a tripod?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2k SlK230 / 2KSlk320 / 2000 Toyota Tacoma, 95 Land Rover D90 (done) Now looking for a series IIA
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
So I picked up a new toy, a Canon Rebel XTi, and I know we have at least a couple of experienced photographers on site. I have the stock EF-S 18-55 MM 3.5-5.6 lens, an EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 telephoto lens, and a cheap little Opteka 0.35X Wide Angle/Fisheye lens to play with. What else do I need in the way of filters for example? Any tips/tricks for the profoundly ignorant? I have never even looked at a decent camera before. For the most part, I'll be taking it along on my frequent desert hikes. I took the camera out today, and had trouble holding it steady with the telephoto lens. I can hold it fairly steady at full strength, but not while I'm out pushing myself. Any tips besides a tripod?
As for Tripods I have a Tiltall made by Leitz Inc.... yup it's heavy however it has got to be one of the best ones made...ever.

I also have a Monopod from the same company (single leg unit) and that works great also.

If you do not want to deal with the added weigth on the hike start looking for ready availible supports to lean against or rest the camera on (take a small towel to set the camera on) hmmmmm I ummm would ahhh like kinda not use a cattus for this thought...

There are also mini tri pods that are ok however the ones I have had all have ended up in the trash for one reason or another.
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:28 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 2002 CLK320; 2006 CLK350 Cabriolet; 2011 E350 Cab; 2014 E550 Cab
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a friend who has a rather large member. We call him tripod.
post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2k SlK230 / 2KSlk320 / 2000 Toyota Tacoma, 95 Land Rover D90 (done) Now looking for a series IIA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetjok View Post
I have a friend who has a rather large member. We call him tripod.
Ummmmmm I get called "Dink"
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1975 450SL
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
There are some walking stick manufacturers that have a screw - off knob that leaves the end of a bolt out that fits the tripod mounting hole.

Get a UV (sometimes called haze) filter for each of the lenses. It will sharpen longer distance photos and act as scratch protection for the lenses.

Keep a lens cleaning cloth handy.

Enjoy yourself; here in AZ we have a lot of opportunity for great shots. I have some shots of snow and ice effects on top of Mount Ord that I use for wallpaper.
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:39 PM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Post some pics. It's been ages since I've been out with the old school SLR's, love to see what's up now. Lord, I had half the basement taken up by my darkroom back in the day. Beseler enlarger, trays of chemicals, stumbling around by the light of the safe light. Old Pentax's, Nikon's, bulk loaders full of Tri-x. Good times.
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioTek View Post
There are some walking stick manufacturers that have a screw - off knob that leaves the end of a bolt out that fits the tripod mounting hole.

Get a UV (sometimes called haze) filter for each of the lenses. It will sharpen longer distance photos and act as scratch protection for the lenses.

Keep a lens cleaning cloth handy.

Enjoy yourself; here in AZ we have a lot of opportunity for great shots. I have some shots of snow and ice effects on top of Mount Ord that I use for wallpaper.

Oh yeah by all means if nothing else at least put a Clear lens filter on each lens and leave it there because they cost less to replace than a lens does.
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If you can find a Bogen 3001, that is a very good tripod that will last a lifetime. I have two, one that is 40 years old and the "new" 20 year old one. It is pretty lightweight for hiking.

You will want to put neutral density or UV filters on the front of the lenses. That does two things. It reduces glare and, more important, it is much cheaper to replace than the front element of the lens should you bump into something.

Spend the extra bucks for the thinner one for the wide angle lens. At lowest range [18] a thick one might get picked up by the lens causing a very slight darkness around the edge.

A circular polarizer is also nice but kinda expensive. It helps contrast up the colors and makes them pop.

Go out to ebay and buy extra batteries for it from ebay store iTrimming. They are very inexpensive and you can get 9 batteries for 20 bucks or so. I charge them all and keep them in the bag so I never run out, even driving the flash or shooting long exposures.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerkebi View Post
Post some pics. It's been ages since I've been out with the old school SLR's, love to see what's up now. Lord, I had half the basement taken up by my darkroom back in the day. Beseler enlarger, trays of chemicals, stumbling around by the light of the safe light. Old Pentax's, Nikon's, bulk loaders full of Tri-x. Good times.
Kodak made the last run of Kodachrome in 2007 which expires this year. They don't plan on making more.

I used to buy that stuff by the brick.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I took this shot today from nearly half a mile distant.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	palm.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	217357  

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in