post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 10:15 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
^ What shot?

Once you go digital the value of colored filters kind of goes away (my opinion). It's easier to do that with software. Mind your white balance though. That said, I do have the urge to try them out with B&W mode...

The 18-55 lens sounds like the one I got recently, but I don't know how the Canon glass etc. compares to the Nikon stuff I use. Should be pretty similar. In which case, you've got about the same general rig I do but for the body.

An alternative to the tripod if you're shooting stuff zoomed in all the way and aren't real stable, is to use a monopod. Should go into the bottom of your camera, and allow you to steady the lens a bit easier. Lots less to carry around & set up. But you'll need a decent tripod no matter what.

When you get into portraiture, you'll start toying with flashes, remote triggers (not sure what Canon's version of the Nikon CLS is), diffusers, omni-bounces, grids, snoots, reflectors, umbrellas, etc. that can be quite consuming if you let it.

If you don't know a lot about how SLR's work and what makes certain kinds of pictures come out, I really recommend these books:

Amazon.com: The Digital Photography Book: Scott Kelby: Books

Amazon.com: The Digital Photography Book, Volume 2: Scott Kelby: Books

Last edited by Qubes; 01-24-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
^ What shot?
It's a lot more impressive before being resized and posted. On my PC, the size and clarity of the palm fronds suggests an impressive demonstration of the capabilities of the zoom. I'm really just trying to get some sort of feel for the equipment at this point. So far, about all I've figured out is 18-55 lens = indoor, 75-300 lens = outdoor.

Thanks for the book recommendations, I'll pick one or the other up in the very near future.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 11:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
It's a lot more impressive before being resized and posted. On my PC, the size and clarity of the palm fronds suggests an impressive demonstration of the capabilities of the zoom. I'm really just trying to get some sort of feel for the equipment at this point. So far, about all I've figured out is 18-55 lens = indoor, 75-300 lens = outdoor.

Thanks for the book recommendations, I'll pick one or the other up in the very near future.
You had that wound all the way out to 300. It shot at 1/500 @ f9. That's very sharp for handheld. The 500th helped much. That annoyingly bright desert sun sure helps. I would have been lucky to get 125th here on a sunny day I think.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
You had that wound all the way out to 300. It shot at 1/500 @ f9. That's very sharp for handheld. The 500th helped much. That annoyingly bright desert sun sure helps. I would have been lucky to get 125th here on a sunny day I think.
Yes, it was all the way out to 300, on fully automatic. Please rephrase the rest of your post so an idiot can understand it.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 12:10 AM
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Now you are going to be able to photograph UFOs
post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 12:22 AM
slightly creased

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 1988 420 SE; 2015 ML 400
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
hmmmm, I have been looking at the Nikon D90 which is packaged with those two lenses over here for around the $900 mark - which is pretty good.

I will have to have a look at the Canon also.

Ross

OzBenz

beware of fundamentalists

post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 12:25 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
Yes, it was all the way out to 300, on fully automatic. Please rephrase the rest of your post so an idiot can understand it.
OK, it shot at 1/500th of a second. That is very quick and will stop MOST action.

The @f9 is the F-stop or the opening of the lens aperture [the Eye's Iris]. Open at 9 [which is about half way], means that it let a bunch of light in and the computer did not have to jack up the ISO value [the old ASA film speed].

The smaller the f-stop number the more light gets in BUT the shorter the depth of field. The bigger the number [like f22], the less light gets into the sensor but the depth of field [all the stuff that is in sharp focus] is greater.

In the old days, or now if you want to click to manual, for the best and sharpest landscape shots, you would put the camera on a tripod, put the f-stop to the highest number and let the computer calculate the shutter speed. That is called aperture priority. This makes the camera stay open a bit longer, absorb more light, better depth of field and an overall sharper image.

That works both for mountain type landscapes and things like shooting cars where the focus is not at infinity. It works especially well when you are not at infinity as the extra depth of field is important for the closer shot.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 06:00 AM
Forum Administrator RC ColasŪ & Moon PiesŪ

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
Now you are going to be able to photograph UFOs
Why? Is he coming to the shores of Lake Montebello?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 08:52 AM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420 SE View Post
hmmmm, I have been looking at the Nikon D90 which is packaged with those two lenses over here for around the $900 mark - which is pretty good.

I will have to have a look at the Canon also.
I've not shot Canon, but I can whole-heartedly recommend the Nikon D-series SLR's. You shant be disappointed.
post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 10:57 AM
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow View Post
Why? Is he coming to the shores of Lake Montebello?
It frozen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in