Yo, Itz Milli Vanilli time - Page 8 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post

Perhaps the crux of Dig's dilemma lies in the mere fact Obama is a better politician than Bush and thus less likely to stir controversy. Does that make him better than Bush? Maybe, no guarantee there. It simply means Obama pays more attention to the voting masses, which was arguably Bush's most fatal mistake.
I appreciate the attempt and that is certainly near where I am going with this.

Bush is gone and I am beyond discussing him except as a historical reference point. Whatever he did is obscured by the layers of staff around him. Who made the decisions and who was influenced by whom can be argued, in many cases, forever as with Obama as well.

In this one case, however, there can be no discussion. We all saw the raw and naked character of the man with no spin possible. He made the first error quickly followed by Roberts' error. This is an undeniable fact as long as the YouTube video is allowed to exist.

However, I can find no written evidence that President Obama made an error. If you google "Oaf of Office" you might expect to see a raft of hits leading to Dianne Feinstein (who I actually believe said "oath") who supposedly uttered the line.

You might be wrong. Nine out of the first ten hits lead to articles pointing out Roberts' gaffe. Feinstein came in at #4!

So does Obama, in an attempt to right the wrong about the kickoff of his presidency, come forth and say, "Hey folks, we got a little excited about the change to come and both Chief Justice Roberts and myself got a little off track."?

No.

Instead, he simply ignores it as the scene has already been edited to remove the offending parts whenever it shows up on TV now. He lets the other guy take the fall.

It has been whisked away to the cornfield as if it never happened and the first free pass has been issued.

I haven't listened to the radio much this week so I don't really know what the right or the left is talking about.

And don't give me Bush and baby killer and wrongful war pig. First, he wasn't my choice (either time) and second, Obama was supposed to be better. We're better off without Bush and if Obama is going to show himself hollow on something this simple yet symbolically important that goes directly to his leadership, then maybe we'd be better off without him and his empty suit, too.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 10:38 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeezus dude, there's an entire world to explore...get thee out there and Dig up some actual substance
post #73 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 10:38 PM

Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
I agree with fully accepting responsibility. And we don't know whether or not Obama did that. We only know what has been said in public. Notice that nuance. For all we know he fell all over himself apologizing to Roberts. But since he, and most folks consider it such a minor issue, it was not a reason to set up a press conference.

Now, back to your analogy. You said that you know where all the skeletons are and if you don't touch all the bases, you are called out. That is part of the job. And all of those skeletons, I assume are part of making the job work, making the store function and making money for the company.

What I spoke of, my anal list was, if you read what I wrote a list of completely insignificant things that have nothing to do with how your store works, how your profits are generated, how your job functions. My list is just random nits that are completely meaningless to everything about the job or about the character of you the manager.

Now, re-read my previous post with that clarification.
When sales are down, NOTHING is completely meaningless. This sounds like exaggeration but I can assure you, it is not.

Them: "Dig, why hasn't this upstairs stockroom been swept?"
Dig: "We don't keep anything up here. It's all been moved to the main floor stockrooms so no one comes up here for anything."
Them: "No wonder sales are down, today."
Dig: "We'll get right on it!"

post #74 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 10:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow View Post

In this one case, however, there can be no discussion. We all saw the raw and naked character of the man with no spin possible. He made the first error quickly followed by Roberts' error. This is an undeniable fact as long as the YouTube video is allowed to exist.

However, I can find no written evidence that President Obama made an error.

So does Obama, in an attempt to right the wrong about the kickoff of his presidency, come forth and say, "Hey folks, we got a little excited about the change to come and both Chief Justice Roberts and myself got a little off track."?

No.
Why no discussion? We DO know some of the facts. We know the errors. We DON'T know, for example how they practiced it prior to the ceremony. What the cadence was then. We don't know who as apologized to whom, when or where.

And the last point, where and when is this mea culpa suppose to occur? Seems like a contrived assumption. Special press conference? Interrupt this program?

This is a nit. They have moved beyond it to the nation's business. I would imagine it got zero thought after the Map Room oath. Only folks who find it interesting are 1) blogs who do this sort of thing and RW who have chosen the path of nitpicking everything. The new logo for the NeoCons just has to be The Boy who Cried Wolf.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #75 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 10:48 PM

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Actually, to clarify this part, I tended to have fire directed at me whether I had made the initial command error or not. Part of my job was fully insulating my team from those above me. Key word: FULLY.

So even if Lt. Harris screwed up because she failed to account for expansion, noone outside of the team ever knew that or if they called her on it, they got to deal with me for not addressing it with me.
In the retail world, all managers are accountable all the time. An exec can walk in unannounced on my day off and the manager on duty needs to be able to handle the visit as if I was standing there, myself.

If a manager is making mistakes and I am hiding it in the manner you describe, I have boxed myself in. I can't eliminate the underperforming manager without an explanation and if I have been carefully hiding those facts, then it's all on me. I end up working twice as hard to make up for the bad manager, only to be relieved of my job and paycheck for not properly managing the situation. They WANT to know how people are performing and if you bullshit and they find out (and there are too many people willing to go over your head and talk), then they look at you as a failure.

post #76 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 10:50 PM

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Actually, to clarify this part, I tended to have fire directed at me whether I had made the initial command error or not. Part of my job was fully insulating my team from those above me. Key word: FULLY.

So even if Lt. Harris screwed up because she failed to account for expansion, noone outside of the team ever knew that or if they called her on it, they got to deal with me for not addressing it with me.
In the retail world, all managers are accountable all the time. An exec can walk in unannounced on my day off and the manager on duty needs to be able to handle the visit as if I was standing there, myself.

If a manager is making mistakes and I am hiding it in the manner you describe, I have boxed myself in. I can't eliminate the underperforming manager without an explanation and if I have been carefully hiding those facts, then it's all on me. I end up working twice as hard to make up for the bad manager, only to be relieved of my job and paycheck for not properly managing the situation. They WANT to know how people are performing. If you bullshit and they find out (and there are too many people willing to go over your head and talk), then they look at you as a failure and treat you accordingly. They have to, it's life or death out there when it comes to profit and loss. Ask anyone who works...worked at Circuit City.

post #77 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 11:03 PM

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Why no discussion? We DO know some of the facts. We know the errors. We DON'T know, for example how they practiced it prior to the ceremony. What the cadence was then. We don't know who as apologized to whom, when or where.
I have already pointed out that the Justices in the Biden Oath and the Obama Oath followed the same format.

Quote:
And the last point, where and when is this mea culpa suppose to occur? Seems like a contrived assumption. Special press conference? Interrupt this program?
"In an ABC interview last night, Obama said all's well that ends well. "Overall, I think it went relatively smoothly," he said."
ROBERTS IS THE OAF OF OFFICE - New York Post

Quote:
This is a nit. They have moved beyond it to the nation's business. I would imagine it got zero thought after the Map Room oath. Only folks who find it interesting are 1) blogs who do this sort of thing and RW who have chosen the path of nitpicking everything. The new logo for the NeoCons just has to be The Boy who Cried Wolf.
I respect your opinion that this is a nit. That I am unable to make you see how a situation such as this goes to a man's core is my failure and for that, I apologize to you.

post #78 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 11:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

If a manager is making mistakes and I am hiding it in the manner you describe, I have boxed myself in. I can't eliminate the underperforming manager without an explanation and if I have been carefully hiding those facts, then it's all on me. I end up working twice as hard to make up for the bad manager, only to be relieved of my job and paycheck for not properly managing the situation. They WANT to know how people are performing. If you bullshit and they find out (and there are too many people willing to go over your head and talk), then they look at you as a failure and treat you accordingly. They have to, it's life or death out there when it comes to profit and loss. Ask anyone who works...worked at Circuit City.
You could not pay me enough money to work as a retail manager. I fully respect that job. I know just how hard it looks from the times I have done analysis of workflow and QC.

I have a few friends who are general managers of big box and department stores and most own stock in Maalox.

Just to clarify, the example I gave was not "hiding", it was simply fully handled within the team, meaning no upper level would be involved in "checking work". And yes, that does box the team lead. It makes you fully vested in every decision and action. I wouldn't have it any other way.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #79 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 11:14 PM

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
So when it becomes obvious that an upper level team member is not capable of doing the job and MUST be replaced for the success of the project, how do you explain the termination of employment. Also, how do you deal with the questions that are asked when the terminated team member goes over your head to complain about the unfairness of the firing. Do you have disciplinary documentation? If so, was it sent upward as I must do?

post #80 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 11:18 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Quote:

Bush is gone and I am beyond discussing him except as a historical reference point. Whatever he did is obscured by the layers of staff around him. Who made the decisions and who was influenced by whom can be argued, in many cases, forever as with Obama as well.

However, I can find no written evidence that President Obama made an error. If you google "Oaf of Office" you might expect to see a raft of hits leading to Dianne Feinstein (who I actually believe said "oath") who supposedly uttered the line.

You might be wrong. Nine out of the first ten hits lead to articles pointing out Roberts' gaffe. Feinstein came in at #4!

No.

Instead, he simply ignores it as the scene has already been edited to remove the offending parts whenever it shows up on TV now. He lets the other guy take the fall.

It has been whisked away to the cornfield as if it never happened and the first free pass has been issued.

I haven't listened to the radio much this week so I don't really know what the right or the left is talking about.

And don't give me Bush and baby killer and wrongful war pig. First, he wasn't my choice (either time) and second, Obama was supposed to be better. We're better off without Bush and if Obama is going to show himself hollow on something this simple yet symbolically important that goes directly to his leadership, then maybe we'd be better off without him and his empty suit, too.
What part of being a better politician doesn't cover this tirade?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in