Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Spark 'em up

Texas Schedules Busy 2009 Execution Calendar
Man convicted of strangling stepmother executed

By MICHAEL GRACZYK
Associated Press

Jan. 22, 2009, 7:20PM
— A convicted rapist and suspected serial killer was executed Thursday evening for strangling and robbing his stepmother in Fort Worth more than eight years ago.

Asked by the warden if he would like to make a statement, Reginald Perkins responded, “I already made my statement. Appreciate it. Love y’all.”

About an hour before he was executed, Perkins had summoned a prison official to his cell and gave him a statement professing his innocence.

“They didn’t link me to nothing. I did not kill my stepmom,” he said. “I loved her. Texas is going to kill an innocent man.”

On the other deaths, Perkins said, “There’s other suspects they questioned besides me. They let them go. I don’t know what they’re talking about. I can’t tell you who killed them. I ain’t killed nobody. I’ve never killed.”

As the drugs were being administered, he said, “I can feel it going in.” Just before the drugs took effect, he looked at the sister of his victim and told her he loved her.

He was pronounced dead at 6:24 p.m., eight minutes after the lethal drugs began to flow.

“I think he waited a little bit too late to tell me that he loved me,” Barbara Ward, the victim’s sister, said. She also said if Perkins insisted he was innocent, “He should have told who did it.”

“All the evidence did lead to him,” Delores Hill, another sister, said.

In a prepared statement, the family said they were grateful for the execution.

“God will deal with him now,” they said. “What a great state to live in to know justice was served.”

Perkins was the second convicted killer executed in as many days and the third this year in the nation’s most active death penalty state. Another three inmates are scheduled to die next week.

His appeals had been exhausted, said Perkins’ lawyer, William Harris. The Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles on Wednesday unanimously rejected a clemency request that sought to have his sentence commuted to life in prison.

Perkins was condemned for the 2000 slaying of 64-year-old Gertie Perkins, whose body was found stuffed in the trunk of her Cadillac. He led his father and police to his stepmother’s body. Like his statement Thursday, he denied last week from death row any involvement in her killing and five other murders authorities believe he committed in Fort Worth and Cleveland, Ohio, during the relatively brief times over a 20-year period when he wasn’t in prison.

“He’s a consummate liar and a con artist,” Kevin Rousseau, the Tarrant County district attorney, who prosecuted Perkins, said. “I wouldn’t believe anything he said. He’s a serial killer. People look for more complicated rationale. But the bottom line is, he’s a killer. He goes through quite a bit of trouble to kill folks.”

Perkins pleaded guilty to the 1980 rape and attempted rape of two 12-year-old girls in Ohio and was sentenced to life in prison. Authorities suspected but couldn’t get enough evidence to charge him with the 1980 strangling of Paula Nelson at her Cleveland home. Perkins was living with the victim’s twin sister and later married her. He was suspected of the 1981 strangling of Jenny Morman, 43, at her Cleveland apartment, and the strangling three weeks later of Jerry Thomas, whose daughter he was convicted of trying to rape.

In 1988, he was paroled and moved to Fort Worth. A DNA database tied Perkins last year to the 1991 stranglings in Fort Worth of Shirley Douglas, 44, and her aunt, Hattie Wilson, 79. Police said Perkins had dated Wilson’s granddaughter.

A parole violation returned him to Ohio in 1993 and remained in prison until 2000, when he was paroled again and returned again to Fort Worth. His stepmother’s slaying occurred 10 months later.

Evidence at his trial showed Perkins pawned her wedding ring and wrote fraudulent checks from the account of the family trucking business in Fort Worth. He became a suspect after detectives learned of his previous convictions in Ohio for rape and attempted rape and that he had been a suspect in the Cleveland slayings. A Tarrant County jury in 2002 deliberated 30 minutes before deciding he should die.

From death row last week, he denied pawning his stepmother’s ring, saying although his driver’s license was used to verify the transaction, the license had been lost and he wasn’t the person using it. He said he was framed, that the rape victims in the Ohio cases lied and that he pleaded guilty to the rape charges because of bad advice from a lawyer.

“Lies and false testimony,” he insisted. “I ain’t never hurt a person in my life.”

Wednesday night, condemned inmate Frank Moore, 47, received lethal injection for the fatal shootings of Samuel Boyd, 23, and Patrick Clark, 15, outside a bar in San Antonio 15 years ago.

Next week, Larry Swearingen, 37, is set to die Tuesday — the first of three executions on consecutive evenings in Huntsville — for the 1998 abduction and slaying of Melissa Trotter, a 19-year-old college student from Montgomery County near Houston.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
you must be very proud
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Look at the record. The guy was a serial killer. Every time he was sent to prison, he managed somehow to parole out, and then killed a few more people, and then he was back in, then out, then kill some more people, except of course for the ones he raped and mutilated. It's unfortunate the death penalty for rape isn't still on the books. If they had whacked him for the rape charge back in the early 80's, a lot of people who didn't deserve to die would still be alive. The guy is a walking poster child for why we need a death penalty and why we need to expand it. If this guy had managed to escape or had finagalled another parole, what you think about him moving next door? Myself, I live in a Darwinian world. Clean out the gene pool, whenever possible.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 09:43 AM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Big government state sponsored murder
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 09:54 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
If you have hate in your heart just kill it.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
Big government state sponsored murder
My favorite sponsor. Even better than Cheerios.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 11:06 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 2001 Jaguar XJR, 1994 E320(sold)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove View Post
Look at the record. The guy was a serial killer. Every time he was sent to prison, he managed somehow to parole out, and then killed a few more people, and then he was back in, then out, then kill some more people, except of course for the ones he raped and mutilated. It's unfortunate the death penalty for rape isn't still on the books. If they had whacked him for the rape charge back in the early 80's, a lot of people who didn't deserve to die would still be alive. The guy is a walking poster child for why we need a death penalty and why we need to expand it. If this guy had managed to escape or had finagalled another parole, what you think about him moving next door? Myself, I live in a Darwinian world. Clean out the gene pool, whenever possible.

I with you there, Im all for executing rapists and child pedophiles.

My Car WOO HOO...... Now SOLD
New car.... 2001 Jaguar XJR!!!!

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
I'm not in favor of it for punitive reasons, it is just simple logic to me. Rapists and pedophiles are unchangeable, they have some sort of mental disease that is so profound we need to protect the rest of the gene pool from them. I don't want them breeding, and the nature of their disease means they will ruin lives given any chance at all to do their deeds. Hell, violent rapists don't even do it for the sex, it is all about degradation of another human being, and as soon as they get in prison they just start raping the weaker inmates. The only solution at this time, until we can develop some sort of brain zap for these monsters, is to delete their account from the Human Race Gene Bank. To me it should be simple: you got a DNA match, you execute them. I might compromise on a full frontal lobotomy coupled with penis removal, but I bet they'd still go around raping using some object. They are just wired that way. They are a defect product, we need to simply return them to the factory.

Last edited by FeelTheLove; 01-23-2009 at 11:31 AM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 03:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 03 Corvette Z06;08 GMC Acadia;84 230CE MANUAL Euro;12 Acura TL Tech Pkg; 02 Lexus LS430 Ultra Luxury
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
I am all for capital punishment but would like it imposed on those witnesses as well you give false testimony in order to convict. If an innocent man is executed and later it is found out that he was innocent then IF false testimony led to it then that person should also be executed IMO. No system of punishment is perfect but I DO believe that capital punishment is a good deterrent. I would like it to be televised for all to see.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 03:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

good times.

in political asylum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in