post #1 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
A man of prinipal

President Bush Refused to Bail Out Republicans With Iraq Withdrawal: President Bush exudes serenity as he prepares to leave office, content that the war in Iraq is nearly won and he had the fortitude to buck his party despite incredible pressure to withdraw.

President Bush says he refused to "bail out my political party" by withdrawing troops "during the darkest days of Iraq," a decision now lauded by his father in an unprecedented joint interview of both presidents by Brit Hume on "FOX News Sunday."

"During the darkest days of Iraq, people came to me and said, 'You're creating incredible political difficulties for us,'" the current president said as his term draws to a close. "And I said, 'Oh, really? What do you suggest I do?' And some suggested retreat, pull out of Iraq.

"But I had faith that freedom exists in people's souls and therefore, if given a chance, democracy and Iraqi-style democracy could survive and work," the president said. "I didn't compromise that principle for the sake of trying to, you know, bail out my political party."

The president's father, former President George H.W. Bush, became emotional when assessing his son's tenure.

"You can make a tough decision and stay with it," he told his son before turning to Hume in the White House Diplomatic Room. "And he's been tested unlike any other president with 9/11. So he passed the test."

He said political invective has "gotten worse" since his days in the White House, adding: "It's offensive, very offensive."

The younger Bush agreed. "The biggest disappointment in the political process, that's been this kind of bitterness by a few people to the point where they don't want to have a logical discussion or a civil discussion about policy," he said. "They just want to tear you down."

But with the war in Iraq nearly won after years of setbacks, the younger Bush exudes serenity as he wraps up his two terms in the White House. "I'm better than fine -- I am proud of the accomplishments of this administration," he said. "I know I gave it my all for eight years, and I did not sell my soul for the sake of popularity. And so when I get back home and look in the mirror, I will be proud of what I see."

Bush said he was also proud of the CIA, although he acknowledged the agency has leaked intelligence secrets. "There have been disappointing moments when information came out of the agency," he said.

"You can't stop leaks. And you don't know how many people were leaking, but I can assure you, the vast majority of people in the CIA were very cooperative."

Bush said he is planning to write a book about his presidency.

"I'm toying with the idea of maybe describing the toughest decisions I had to make as president, and the context in which I made them," he said. "It is very hard for people to remember what life was like a mere four or five years ago. And it's going to be very important for me to recreate the environment in which I had to make certain decisions, particularly the environment of right after September the 11th, 2001."

Bush conceded that his prosecution of an increasingly unpopular war contributed to the fact that the Republican Party "got whipped in 2008." And he warned that a comeback will be difficult "if the party is viewed as anti-immigrant."

But he said the GOP should remain anti-tax and pro-military. "We shouldn't change our philosophy," he said. "We may want to change our messaging. We definitely want to change messengers. We need a new group of leaders."

He added: "I had one in mind. But he evidently didn't agree with his older brother."

It was a reference to former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, who announced last week he would not run for a Senate seat.

Unlike his son, the elder President Bush served only one term, leaving him to wonder about "things I'd like to have done" on his "unfulfilled agenda." But he has remained active since leaving the White House, even skydiving well into his golden years. He plans another jump in June, when he will be 85.

"I think he's a nut to jump out of airplane at age 70, 75, 80 and 85," remarked his son, who added: "Actually, I think it's cool."

His dad, who now walks with a cane, agreed. "You don't want to sit around just because you're an old guy, drooling in the corner," the elder Bush said. "Old guys can still do stuff." To which his son quipped: "You can drool and jump at the same time."

Bush Says He Refused to Bail Out Republicans With Iraq Withdrawal - FOXNews.com Transition Tracker

Don't believe everything you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 09:46 AM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
What school will he be 'principaling'?
WHERE is prinipal, anyway?
I have to ask it: Did you go to college?

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 • 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
post #3 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 09:46 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 300SD
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Good luck selling this to American people.

Last edited by p100; 01-11-2009 at 10:12 AM.
post #4 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Brentwood MB

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Question Jay? Is Nearly Won, similar to Nearly Pregnant? How sweet it is that Fix News gave them this chance to be so human and reflective on Juniors great administration. Certainly gives all of us a nice warm fuzzy to know Junior can look at himself in the mirror and feel good. I certain the same can be said about his VP and all the other actors thoughout this interesting time in the world. Personally, I would like to be behind the mirrors in the Boardrooms at all the major Banks and Oil companies, only to have viewed al those Execs, as the watched the Returns in November. Think they all feel as does Junior? By the way Jay, How is aircraft production going in Wichita?
post #5 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 09:57 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
I recall GW discussing his "legacy" all the way back in '03 and thinking, 'how odd'... His entire presidency has been badly tattered by his overblown ego.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #6 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 11:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Thank GOD, we're getting a clinton team back into the White House, so we
can become a paper tiger once more.

© All photographs and likenesses of Multipurpose are protected under copyright
law. Any use of photographs in whole or in part is strictly prohibited
unless authorization is granted in writing by copyright holder. All rights
reserved.
post #7 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 11:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multipurpose View Post
Thank GOD, we're getting a clinton team back into the White House, so we
can become a paper tiger once more.
Somehow I don't recall a global recession, skyrocketing unemployment and thousands killed while we were, as you envision a "paper tiger".

Don't confuse "responsible member of the world community" with "paper tiger", it will continue to dilute your perspective.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #8 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 11:37 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
What school will he be 'principaling'?
WHERE is prinipal, anyway?
I have to ask it: Did you go to college?
I am thinking that Prinipal is located under a very large pile of manure, somewhere in Texas.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #9 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Somehow I don't recall a global recession, skyrocketing unemployment and thousands killed while we were, as you envision a "paper tiger".

Don't confuse "responsible member of the world community" with "paper tiger", it will continue to dilute your perspective.
The U.S. was far more formidable 8 years ago than it is today. Our country is now the weakest it has been in my lifetime -- by far.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #10 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 11:43 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post

Everyone should see things in their own way.

Sometimes its best to talk to people instead of at them!

© All photographs and likenesses of Multipurpose are protected under copyright
law. Any use of photographs in whole or in part is strictly prohibited
unless authorization is granted in writing by copyright holder. All rights
reserved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in