Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRower View Post
Perhaps you should freakin' chill out and read a little bit more.

The china is being paid for by The White House Historical Association. No Taxpayer money is being spent here.

You can take your partisan crap and go jump in a lake.

Do a little research instead of just regurgitating the pablum that gets fed to you followers of the Huffington Post and Daily Kos.
Did you read my post?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 07:51 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
The china is being paid for by The White House Historical Association. No Taxpayer money is being spent here.
Oh. In that case, it's totally reasonable. Nothing at all like a $235K bathroom.

Quote:
If Sen. Ken Salazar (D-Colo.) is confirmed this month as interior secretary, he'll have a snappy, scarcely used bathroom in his fifth-floor office, thanks to Dirk Kempthorne, the outgoing secretary. Seems Kempthorne spent about $235,000 in taxpayer funds renovating the bathroom a few months ago, which included installing a new shower, a refrigerator and a freezer and buying monogrammed towels, department officials told our colleague Derek Kravitz. . . "If Gale Norton needed to shower, at least she was conservative enough to go to the gym in the basement of the building," one career employee quipped, referring to Kempthorne's predecessor.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 06:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: '98 E320 Wagon (non 4matic)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TNTRower
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
Did you read my post?
Yes and I am quite at a loss to understand your outrage. Actually I understand it fine. Anything having to do with the Bush Administration that you can twist into something embarrassing, you will.

Why should we care if a politician wants to spend private funds on expensive china? What purpose does it serve for you to try and generate false outrage?

Who's John Galt.

"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes" - Virgil, The Aeneid, Book 2

If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel. --Benjamin Netayahu
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 06:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
Oh. In that case, it's totally reasonable. Nothing at all like a $235K bathroom.
On the face of it I would agree that it is absurd for a $235k bathroom renovation. However, that being said I don't know the whole story.

The problem lies in the fact that the media loves to try and skewer public officials on spending taxpayer money. So much so that they will go to extreme lengths to paint an unsavory picture.

The bias is enhanced even more by the fact that this is related to the Bush administration.

Where was all the outrage during the Clinton years and even when the Clintons decided to "Appropriate" the furniture and such when they left the White House?

Just further evidence of Bush Derangement Syndrome (BDS) at work.

Who's John Galt.

If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel. --Benjamin Netayahu
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Yes and I am quite at a loss to understand your outrage. Actually I understand it fine. Anything having to do with the Bush Administration that you can twist into something embarrassing, you will.

Why should we care if a politician wants to spend private funds on expensive china? What purpose does it serve for you to try and generate false outrage?
False outrage? He's still the decider in chief you know like a role model of sort or is that just for Jayhawk and milfy?
In dire time I think a little sensitivity or at least discretion can go a long way. The whole thing was bad timing and in poor taste. If this had been Obama you would be all over it too, so let's not kid ourselves ok!
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
On the face of it I would agree that it is absurd for a $235k bathroom renovation. However, that being said I don't know the whole story.

The problem lies in the fact that the media loves to try and skewer public officials on spending taxpayer money. So much so that they will go to extreme lengths to paint an unsavory picture.

The bias is enhanced even more by the fact that this is related to the Bush administration.

Where was all the outrage during the Clinton years and even when the Clintons decided to "Appropriate" the furniture and such when they left the White House?

Just further evidence of Bush Derangement Syndrome (BDS) at work.
Simple, the Internet and cable news were far less developed and popular than now. Think back to 1994 and compare. That's all there is to it. And frankly, I'm glad the media goes after this kind of crap, aren't you? Who knows how outta hand it would get otherwise...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 07:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
False outrage? He's still the decider in chief you know like a role model of sort or is that just for Jayhawk and milfy?
In dire time I think a little sensitivity or at least discretion can go a long way. The whole thing was bad timing and in poor taste. If this had been Obama you would be all over it too, so let's not kid ourselves ok!
I would not be all over this if it was Obama. These are private funds. Your argument has no basis.

If anything it is helping the economy. One of the ways to help the economy is for people to spend. That has been shown time and again.

That is no more ridiculous than your argument about it not being the right time, and that it was not sensitive.

And quite frankly it is pretty ridiculous.

He has two weeks left, the china was bought for the incoming President to use for State Functions. He is replacing the stuff that has serious wear and tear from use and not using taxpayer money.

Who's John Galt.

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 07:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
Simple, the Internet and cable news were far less developed and popular than now. Think back to 1994 and compare. That's all there is to it. And frankly, I'm glad the media goes after this kind of crap, aren't you? Who knows how outta hand it would get otherwise...
The problem is they have slit their own throats. We can't believe a thing they put out there.

Who's John Galt.

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Forum Administrator RC Colas & Moon Pies

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1276 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
The problem is they have slit their own throats. We can't believe a thing they put out there.
“We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false.” - William Casey, CIA Director (from first staff meeting, 1981)

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 07:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think Laura Bush has good "book-sense".

When the Obamas express a dislike for the china, the Bushes will accept it and use it to fill out the shelves of the Bush 43 library, which would be otherwise filled with an autohooved copy of "My Pet Goat", a copy of the Oxford Dictionary for Dummies and various classified documents, sealed until Christ rides in on a painted pony.

I'm almost outta beer......

Maybe that should have been "autohoofed". I cant find the werd in my Oxford Dictionary For Dummies, and I'm almost outta beer........

Last edited by barberhauler; 01-08-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in